Register

What sunglasses do you wear?

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

What sunglasses do you wear?

11 Sep 2010 10:42

I noticed during the Tour de France that most of the riders wore their sunglasses with the stems outside their helmet straps. I decided this might prevent some strap vibration. I tried it. I snapped my Maui Jims in half at the nose bridge the first time I took my helmet off. I forgot about changing to stems outside straps. I really loved those Maui Jims.

I tried gluing them. Gluing was a mess and did not work. It was obviously time for a new pair of sunglasses. I wear prescription glasses so this gets quite pricey. I decided to switch to Oakley. Most of the golf course superintendents I work with wear Oakleys. It appeared that many pro cyclists wear Oakleys. I asked the optometrist for pricing on several Oakleys. I also asked them to check on the price of fixing my Maui Jims. I did not want to pay $100.00 US+ to fix broken glasses. My Mauis were just under two years old.

I went back for the prices on the Oakleys. The optometrist told me Maui was fixing the glasses for shipping costs $20.00 US. They actually sent me brand new sunglasses. I know because the old lenses had some scratches from everyday use. These were brand new. I did buy a new pair of sunglasses with a slightly different lens shape. I decided to stick with Maui Jim. I am not aware of anyone that stands behind their product like this anymore.
User avatar TigerFish

11 Sep 2010 12:08

Cheap Mountain Equipment Co Op ( in Canada )sunnies, or nothing over $15-30 ... had Oakleys, Bolle, Ray Ban and others.. the Oakleys were so cheap, especially the brow piece, I had a couple of those break.. the cheapo sunnies are great, if they get sat on, scratched, stolen, who cares.. I'm too old and fat to care about whether I look the part... all you young skinny whippets can do that :D
Well, I haven't seen a decent film clip since Lionel Ritchie's "Hello" which was the battleship Potemkin of rock video clips....

Humphrey B. Flaubert of TISM
User avatar S2Sturges

11 Sep 2010 15:24

Loving my Rudy Project Rydon glasses, Photo-chromatic lenses rock, they are always the perfect level of brightness! Rudy Project gives a lifetime warranty which is nice, I sweat profusely and managed to destroy a set of lenses, which were replaced free of charge. The glasses themselves are unbreakable however, When I bought them the dealer took a pair of the shelf, put them in the vice and folded them clean in half as hard as he could and didn't manage to break them! Its cool with mine how you can bend the arms into any shape you want to hook over your ears, or wrap around your head or whatever, the nosepiece is also fully bendable into any size you want, If you want nice glasses that you wont have to worry about destroying, get some Rudys!
RoadieBeast

11 Sep 2010 22:32

sponsored by Oakley and i own 5 pair. very good quality optics and frames.
made right here in Orange County. a pretty cool factory if you ever get to see it.

bolle are nice as well.
User avatar usedtobefast

Vigilante

11 Sep 2010 23:44

I second Bolle. I have several sets of the Vigalante model and the wife uses the similar, but smaller, Parole.

Can get 'em at Performance/Trashbar for ~$39 during their seemingly never-ending 20% off deals...
User avatar steelciocc

11 Sep 2010 23:50

Specialized with the light adjusting lenses. A few years old now. Very happy with them.
richwagmn

12 Sep 2010 00:39

TigerFish wrote:I decided to stick with Maui Jim. I am not aware of anyone that stands behind their product like this anymore.

Thanks for posting this. My Maui Jims also snapped part of the bridge off - I'll send mine in for repairs and hope for the best.
[color="RoyalBlue"]Thirst is stronger than the rules. [/color]- Stars and Watercarriers, 1974
stephens

12 Sep 2010 08:24

Rudy Project Exowind with the Photochromic lenses that darken in the sun. Great glasses.
"I tried to decide the race early and I think I did everything right,.."

"I just didn't want Evans there, he was slowing me up. Plus i don't like guys with squeaky voices" FC unreported;)
User avatar SpartacusRox

12 Sep 2010 10:33

Some bbbs. They're ok but I think I'll get some of those Oakley radars with the rain-repelling lens
User avatar laziali

12 Sep 2010 12:40

Rudy Kaylos and Tifosi Ventoux. Like them both. The Tifosi are a great deal. Frames, 3 sets of lenses, bag, case for about $50.
I used to have several pairs of Brikos, but finally sold all of them. Haven't liked their latest offerings.
Would like to get a pair of Oakley Jawbones.
Guidokcd

12 Sep 2010 13:22

bottom of the line performance procyon's. love 'em. they keep sun and debris/bugs out of my gorgeous brown eyes. love the fact that i don't worry about how i treat them. they're plastic sun glasses for god's sake. if i won the lottery, doubt i'd buy much more expensive.
....The hapless Texan then proceeded to have yet another crash in the neutral zone....
User avatar bobs nob

12 Sep 2010 20:22

Foster Grant Ironman's. $15.
"Whoever still can't put one and one together about what happened in cycling is beyond my help."
Jan Ullrich
User avatar buckwheat

13 Sep 2010 01:42

I just replaced some PBK ones with some Bolle ones. I buy whatever is less than $50 with interchangable lenses ($25 is goal price, these were about $40). I shove them in my helmet when I take off the helmet, and don't worry much about scratching them up. I only use the smoke lenses usually, but keep clear in my seat-bag (with small lights as well) for late rides home. They are replaced about every 2 years - hence why I like cheap.
TheDude

13 Sep 2010 17:00

Rudy's.

I stopped using Oakley's when they came out with the M Frames and they kept breaking. At about the same time, purely by coincidence I am sure, Oakley's return policy became much more of a hassle.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

13 Sep 2010 17:53

I have three pairs of Adidas sunglasses. They are perfect for me. Different type of lenses, including some orange/yellow that don't darken anything, but just enhance contrast. They are wonderful during rides in the winter or whenever there is no sun.

So my tip for you is to purchase sunglasses with more than one type of lenses. Or you could perhaps use the "I'm Tyler Farrar....." Transition adaptive lenses. Ohh I hate that ad.
analo69

13 Sep 2010 19:57

I don't wear sunglasses at all. It's a rue. It's to sell product . UV isn't killing our eyes. Take your pick. Riders used to wear nothing .... now they can't part with them.... ?

If I wear anything it's Walmart $5 Clear safety glasses to keep debris out of my eyes.
lostintime

13 Sep 2010 20:53

lostintime wrote:I don't wear sunglasses at all. It's a rue. It's to sell product . UV isn't killing our eyes. Take your pick. Riders used to wear nothing .... now they can't part with them.... ?

I'm afraid that's not correct. Repeated studies show that UV radiation damages the eyes.

http://www.cancer.org.au/File/PolicyPublications/PSeye%20protectionAUG06.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/doc/eyedamage.pdf

It depends on where you live too. When I spent a couple of years in England I don't think I pulled the sunglasses out very often but living at 27deg Latitude I feel I'm living on Helion Prime.
User avatar Polyarmour

13 Sep 2010 22:23

SH +, Italian made, those comes with three lenses, and nice box etc for 30eur.. They claim that they are anti fog, come on there is no such thing.

http://www.shplus.com/2010/rg_4020.html

What are yours experiences with that nasty thing called fog especialy on cold weather day?
User avatar oldborn

13 Sep 2010 23:23

Oakley Jawbones. Brilliant optics, soooo much better than el cheapos and the water repellant film on the lense makes them great in the wet too. The design is fantastic as you hardly know they are on and they don't bounce around or move at all.
User avatar Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer

14 Sep 2010 18:38

Polyarmour wrote:I'm afraid that's not correct. Repeated studies show that UV radiation damages the eyes.

http://www.cancer.org.au/File/PolicyPublications/PSeye%20protectionAUG06.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/doc/eyedamage.pdf

It depends on where you live too. When I spent a couple of years in England I don't think I pulled the sunglasses out very often but living at 27deg Latitude I feel I'm living on Helion Prime.

Nah ... it's a scam. Ever since Ray Ban's were made for the Fly Boys everyone had to have sunglasses .... at least in the wealthy countries. How do all the other people in the world who live in sunny climate year 'round, with no sunglasses .... survive? Scientific studies are good for keeping scientists employed .... and making self fulfilling studies. Our "modern" world is panic ridden with all the things we are told we should could and would do, by people who know nothing more than anyone else.

Man ..... we all gotta wake up.
lostintime

Next

Return to General