Log in:  

Register

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Re:

04 Jan 2017 15:00

Benotti69 wrote:MWC is allowed to keep posting insults, along with Velofedis.......becusse they like shiny new things?


And you guys are allowed to flame, bait, troll with impunity and contribute absolutely nothing constructive to the conversation? Hmmm.

Not too many pro bikes for 2017 pictured with discs as far as i see so far.

Yeah 20 years on mtbs, yuo'd think if they were that necessary they would have been on the pros road bikes for the last 19.


Are you talking about the same roadies who protested mandatory helmets? :lol: Disc didn't get road worthy until about 2007. What would you know about that though?

But hey what would i know.


Apparently zilch.

I bow to the knowledge of a guy who spends all his time yelling at others in the disc thread. Sram troll or what....


You bow? to the guy who, doesn't own a disc brake anything, doesn't work on 'em, and never will. And on a thread about, well,... disc brakes. Brilliant. What was that about "knowledge" again?
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

02 Feb 2017 04:32

The horror..............The horror.....

Image
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re:

14 Feb 2017 00:27

VeloFidelis wrote:We agree that disc brakes on road bikes work better. To refute that position is to admit to not having used them.

This has been my experience, even with non-hydraulics.

Having said that, it's a personal choice. If someone doesn't want to invest in them, and are happy with rim brakes, so be it.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,987
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re: Re:

14 Feb 2017 05:46

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
VeloFidelis wrote:We agree that disc brakes on road bikes work better. To refute that position is to admit to not having used them.

This has been my experience, even with non-hydraulics.

Having said that, it's a personal choice. If someone doesn't want to invest in them, and are happy with rim brakes, so be it.


Beginning of this CX season one of guys from our team was floating around my work bench and took off for a ride on a bike I just finished setting up with TRP Spyres. Said he was completely fooled and thought they were hydraulic, until he looked down.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Disc brakes on road bikes...

25 Feb 2017 11:41

Lots of info on latest 'disc brake news' in the professional peloton..from this forums 'sponsor, Cyclingnews..2-3 articles.

For info.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc-brakes-someone-might-have-to-take-a-bullet-for-change-to-happen-says-hansen

I think it's more about the UCI not listening to the rider's 'union' than anything to do with brakes, IMHO.
Last edited by Bustedknuckle on 26 Feb 2017 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,078
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

25 Feb 2017 22:38

In the past year we've seen 3 instances of riders crying wolf. Ventoso, Maes, and now Doull claiming bloody murder, and all debunked straight away with video, photos, witness accounts, even forensic investigations. One thing is for certain that there's more great acting performances like this coming unless a completely new working agreement emerges between all parties. But until then, some roadies are treating disc exactly how footballers take a dive. You don't even have to be anywhere near one in a crash and anybody can claim anything. It's turning into an art form.

Kittel now saying he'll hang up the discs out of respect for his colleagues’. Good on him! And if the investigation proves that Doull is lying he should not only provide an apology to everyone, but should be punished either with a fine, or have to sit out a race or two, or both.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re:

11 Mar 2017 15:49

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:In the past year we've seen 3 instances of riders crying wolf. Ventoso, Maes, and now Doull claiming bloody murder, and all debunked straight away with video, photos, witness accounts, even forensic investigations. One thing is for certain that there's more great acting performances like this coming unless a completely new working agreement emerges between all parties. But until then, some roadies are treating disc exactly how footballers take a dive. You don't even have to be anywhere near one in a crash and anybody can claim anything. It's turning into an art form.

Kittel now saying he'll hang up the discs out of respect for his colleagues’. Good on him! And if the investigation proves that Doull is lying he should not only provide an apology to everyone, but should be punished either with a fine, or have to sit out a race or two, or both.


No one needs proof anymore but I do appreciate the concern by the riders. Crashing is bad enough without worrying about getting cut too. I just read the forensic report on Ventoso, Chainring. Saw the test with a shoe and disk brake. could not cut it even with a motor driving the wheel. The only thing holding me back is he cost to switch. Even the tandem which has a rear cable actuated disk needs a new fork and front wheel to go full disk. too many bikes to replace. Any new bike I buy will have disk brakes. I do wish my carbon Wheels were disk brake too. Love their performance but always think about the wet and the heat. I tend to agree that carbon wheels should not be clinchers either because of the way they need to manage heat in braking. Disk brakes are the perfect fix for heat management at the rim. Might even make tubeless clinchers easier to build out of carbon too. I thought I saw a bike with disks in Paris Nice?
User avatar Master50
Member
 
Posts: 1,163
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:52
Location: Vancouver Island

Re: Re:

11 Mar 2017 17:47

Master50 wrote:...I thought I saw a bike with disks in Paris Nice?


Kittel back on them, and Martin and Morkov from Katusha. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I'm in agreement with Sagan's idea of an "all or nothing" field. Though a bit stifling if you're trying to get anything done at the development level to improve your products, they have to be in race situations and have rider feedback to move forward. So maybe treat it the same way the UCI let it play out in cyclocross, let the riders choose. And much of the advancements in disc brakes for the last few years that are being applied to road are coming from cross. Imagine for a moment how much more refined these brakes would become once some pro roadies dislodge their head from their behinds. On the other hand, I'm actually applauding these guys for calling the CPA's bluff on the threat of litigation and going maverick. Tough case to bring when you have no proof, and I think that finally some of the most ardent critics are starting to come around. Now the manufacturers are in a situation where most have road disc models but mainly in the 'endurance' format, and at this point very few are able to supply a PT level rig. Or a company like Factor who doesn't even have a disc anything.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

01 May 2017 03:22

Did Fizik ever announce any results into the investigation they were supposedly doing when Sky's Doull had his Fizik shoe torn open allegedly by Kittel's rotor?
Tim B
Junior Member
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 23 May 2015 23:49

02 May 2017 02:25

After 2 months passed and many races run with disc it's more than likely Fizik was just giving lip service about a 'test' to get Doull and Adam Hansen to stop whining.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

12 Jul 2017 18:21

Anyone notice Kittel back on the discs at the Tour? He's apparently not the only one as well.

This could be a rabbit hole, but I strongly wonder if Richie would have crashed had he been on discs.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,987
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

12 Jul 2017 19:28

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Anyone notice Kittel back on the discs at the Tour? He's apparently not the only one as well.

This could be a rabbit hole, but I strongly wonder if Richie would have crashed had he been on discs.


....it had absolutely nothing to do with brakes, or rabbits....I have it on good authority from a highly placed anonymous source that it was the fault of the Russians ( apparently Vlad himself pulled the quick release on that operation )....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,681
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

Re:

13 Jul 2017 02:14

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Anyone notice Kittel back on the discs at the Tour? He's apparently not the only one as well.

This could be a rabbit hole, but I strongly wonder if Richie would have crashed had he been on discs.


Looks to me as if it was all on him. Overcooked the right hander and cutting the left corner too close to the edge where fresh new blacktop falls off camber in a hurry. Sucked his front wheel in, then boof!
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re:

13 Jul 2017 07:32

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:After 2 months passed and many races run with disc it's more than likely Fizik was just giving lip service about a 'test' to get Doull and Adam Hansen to stop whining.

To be fair to Adam Hansen, he was simply voicing rider concern as part of his role as a rider representative.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,319
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

14 Jul 2017 01:53

42x16ss wrote:
Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:After 2 months passed and many races run with disc it's more than likely Fizik was just giving lip service about a 'test' to get Doull and Adam Hansen to stop whining.

To be fair to Adam Hansen, he was simply voicing rider concern as part of his role as a rider representative.


Nothing fair about overreacting and jumping to conclusions before facts are known. Not exactly indicative of a competent 'representative'.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re:

15 Jul 2017 14:43

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Anyone notice Kittel back on the discs at the Tour? He's apparently not the only one as well.

This could be a rabbit hole, but I strongly wonder if Richie would have crashed had he been on discs.


....kinda funny twist in the Kittel saga, you know about the guy who is the poster boy for the technology that will save the bike industry ( this year )....and making a courageous stand against the forces of ignorance and so on and so for forth.....

...seems our dauntless saintly hero has dumped the disc brakes when he hit the mountains....you know the place where grams count.....and oddly enough where discs, we are told, are supposed to give their bestest advantages....

....so the story so far....saint uses the latest holy water where it doesn't have an advantage and dumps them where they theoretically should...it could just be me but this kinda stinks to high heaven don't it....does anyone else smell marketing scam ( I mean think about it, to get on that disc train to the glorious future you literally have to replace your entire bike....gosh the industry must just be salivating at the prospects....ooooh, we love the smell of profits in the morning, it smells like victory...)

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,681
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

Re: Re:

15 Jul 2017 17:10

blutto wrote:
....kinda funny twist in the Kittel saga, you know about the guy who is the poster boy for the technology that will save the bike industry ( this year )....and making a courageous stand against the forces of ignorance and so on and so for forth.....

...seems our dauntless saintly hero has dumped the disc brakes when he hit the mountains....you know the place where grams count.....and oddly enough where discs, we are told, are supposed to give their bestest advantages....

....so the story so far....saint uses the latest holy water where it doesn't have an advantage and dumps them where they theoretically should...it could just be me but this kinda stinks to high heaven don't it....does anyone else smell marketing scam ( I mean think about it, to get on that disc train to the glorious future you literally have to replace your entire bike....gosh the industry must just be salivating at the prospects....ooooh, we love the smell of profits in the morning, it smells like victory...)

Cheers


Cute story. However, no amount of waxing poetic can make up for lack of experience on the subject because you really only hear "marketing scam" from people with none. Can you imagine, an industry is seeking profit?!?.......Crazy, I know! It may be a stretch but I think you might be exempt from the death grip of the marketing department's disc brake crusade. Whew, what a relief! Right?
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Re:

15 Jul 2017 17:36

blutto wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:Anyone notice Kittel back on the discs at the Tour? He's apparently not the only one as well.

This could be a rabbit hole, but I strongly wonder if Richie would have crashed had he been on discs.


....kinda funny twist in the Kittel saga, you know about the guy who is the poster boy for the technology that will save the bike industry ( this year )....and making a courageous stand against the forces of ignorance and so on and so for forth.....

...seems our dauntless saintly hero has dumped the disc brakes when he hit the mountains....you know the place where grams count.....and oddly enough where discs, we are told, are supposed to give their bestest advantages....

....so the story so far....saint uses the latest holy water where it doesn't have an advantage and dumps them where they theoretically should...it could just be me but this kinda stinks to high heaven don't it....does anyone else smell marketing scam ( I mean think about it, to get on that disc train to the glorious future you literally have to replace your entire bike....gosh the industry must just be salivating at the prospects....ooooh, we love the smell of profits in the morning, it smells like victory...)

Cheers


Venge for sprint stages, brand new Tarmac for mountains, non?
User avatar laurensde+
Junior Member
 
Posts: 284
Joined: 07 Apr 2016 15:53

Re: Re:

15 Jul 2017 21:29

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:
blutto wrote:
....kinda funny twist in the Kittel saga, you know about the guy who is the poster boy for the technology that will save the bike industry ( this year )....and making a courageous stand against the forces of ignorance and so on and so for forth.....

...seems our dauntless saintly hero has dumped the disc brakes when he hit the mountains....you know the place where grams count.....and oddly enough where discs, we are told, are supposed to give their bestest advantages....

....so the story so far....saint uses the latest holy water where it doesn't have an advantage and dumps them where they theoretically should...it could just be me but this kinda stinks to high heaven don't it....does anyone else smell marketing scam ( I mean think about it, to get on that disc train to the glorious future you literally have to replace your entire bike....gosh the industry must just be salivating at the prospects....ooooh, we love the smell of profits in the morning, it smells like victory...)

Cheers


Cute story. However, no amount of waxing poetic can make up for lack of experience on the subject because you really only hear "marketing scam" from people with none. Can you imagine, an industry is seeking profit?!?.......Crazy, I know! It may be a stretch but I think you might be exempt from the death grip of the marketing department's disc brake crusade. Whew, what a relief! Right?


....hmmm.....marketing scam eh ( and experience with same )....well folks I have a bit of a story for youse today ( it starts with a few words about marketing and the bike business and then wanders off to deal with a weird play on marketing and the two folks in this post )....from a long ago thread...here is the first installment....and from the horse's mouth, GM, no less....

This is the world of marketing and advertising, it's all based on lying for your money sorry to say. There's a point in the product development process at any large company where the marketing dept. takes over with ultimate control over what and how something is presented to the general consumer. Could you imagine what the world would be like if advertising was left up to engineers?


....and here is #2....and guess who it is in the bolded bit...

The aerodynamic performance claims by manufacturers is probably the most dishonest topic that the bike industry is propagating on the general consumer, and doing it purely for sales, I know because I spent years in meetings with these same mfg's dreaming up lies about this stuff by using alterd, or even fake data.


....yep the self-same poster above who is fanning the flames for disc brakes....makes you kinda wonder don't it...

....anyway some fool got a bit peeved at something, maybe the cynicism, and proceeded to call out the person in the bolded bit....and below is his response, btw bolded bit dude was a mod at that time...

You're just mad because I called bs on your 23/25 set up is more aero at the beginning of this thread, and for some reason you think advertising and big business is full of truths, that's your malfunction, not mine. If my posts are that unreadable stop trying to make sense from them and responding. I've been in just about every facet of the bike industry for 20 years and I'm not making any of this up, if you can't handle what I have to say ignore me and stop responding to every single post of mine. And yes, I do volunteer to keep this forum clean from people like you, 2 years I've been here and never has anyone come after me like this, do it again and you won't be coming back here anytime soon.


....so like the young impetuous fool that I was I responded...( note I'm now mature beyond my years and this would never happen again )...

do it again and you won't be coming back here anytime soon.

...so let me get this straight...the lying that you were paid for is just part and parcel for the bike industry and we should get used to it and not get upset when someone such as yourself who not only invents the lies but calls the people who fell for them fools is rubbing it in our faces...

...and then you have the gall to threaten me with a ban because I call you on that...well frankly if CN, which placed you in a position to bully me this way and is OK with your behaviour, maybe it is a good idea to get banned from this place...

...or put another way...why don't you wade into The Clinic and start telling the anti-doping brigade that they are fools for actually hoping for a level playing field in cycling...as in, one free of lies...

...and by the way it wasn't the 23/25 mm thing I was responding to..it was the cynical commentator talking down his nose at all the marks he has hoodwinked in his career in the bike business...and who then sits as a moderator in a forum and dispenses justice from some supposed higher moral ground...I mean, do you actually know what cynical means, or does inclusion into the august ranks of the marketing fraternity wipe that from your memory banks and leaving you perfectly feckless when dealing with truth...

...so if you, using your esteemed position here at CN, want to punish me for calling you on what you have been and what you still are...well... bring it on, and if you do, shame on you, and if CN allows it to stand, then it will be shame on them as well...

Cheers

blutto


....so here is the response....and this was thrown in for embellishment : " I see you've racked up more infractions on this forum than most people combined", which is, uhhh, more than a small departure from the truth but hey once in "marketing", always in "marketing" eh...bottom line, he shut me up by banning me...

B-bye, see you in a month. Hopefully you've changed your attitude by then, I'm betting not, but I have to at least give you a chance.

P.S. I see you've racked up more infractions on this forum than most people combined, it will be no surprise to anyone that you've been banned


....and the official ban statement....

Blutto banned again for one month for attacking every single post I made. If he doesn't change his attitude when he gets back, he will be banned permanently


....if interested all the fun can be found below...and just for fun, we can score my attacking ?....

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12202

....so now our former mod is pedaling disc brakes, but this time he is being straight with us, like how cool is that ?....

Cheers
Last edited by blutto on 09 Aug 2017 19:31, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,681
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

15 Jul 2017 22:55

Blutto, I see you haven't changed a bit. To clarify you smelled rat by Kittle's bike choice, and I called bulschidt on it. Nice thesis and I stand behind all of it, including the fact that you've been one of the most difficult members of this forum to babysit. Glad it's not my job anymore. What is it about this place that the higher the post count the more mentally unstable? Post reported for publishing private emails. Later.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 667
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Back to top