Register

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Re:

04 Jan 2017 15:00

Benotti69 wrote:MWC is allowed to keep posting insults, along with Velofedis.......becusse they like shiny new things?

And you guys are allowed to flame, bait, troll with impunity and contribute absolutely nothing constructive to the conversation? Hmmm.

Not too many pro bikes for 2017 pictured with discs as far as i see so far.

Yeah 20 years on mtbs, yuo'd think if they were that necessary they would have been on the pros road bikes for the last 19.

Are you talking about the same roadies who protested mandatory helmets? :lol: Disc didn't get road worthy until about 2007. What would you know about that though?

But hey what would i know.

Apparently zilch.

I bow to the knowledge of a guy who spends all his time yelling at others in the disc thread. Sram troll or what....

You bow? to the guy who, doesn't own a disc brake anything, doesn't work on 'em, and never will. And on a thread about, well,... disc brakes. Brilliant. What was that about "knowledge" again?
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico

02 Feb 2017 04:32

The horror..............The horror.....

Re:

14 Feb 2017 00:27

VeloFidelis wrote:We agree that disc brakes on road bikes work better. To refute that position is to admit to not having used them.

This has been my experience, even with non-hydraulics.

Having said that, it's a personal choice. If someone doesn't want to invest in them, and are happy with rim brakes, so be it.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re: Re:

14 Feb 2017 05:46

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
VeloFidelis wrote:We agree that disc brakes on road bikes work better. To refute that position is to admit to not having used them.

This has been my experience, even with non-hydraulics.

Having said that, it's a personal choice. If someone doesn't want to invest in them, and are happy with rim brakes, so be it.

Beginning of this CX season one of guys from our team was floating around my work bench and took off for a ride on a bike I just finished setting up with TRP Spyres. Said he was completely fooled and thought they were hydraulic, until he looked down.

Re: Disc brakes on road bikes...

25 Feb 2017 11:41

Lots of info on latest 'disc brake news' in the professional peloton..from this forums 'sponsor, Cyclingnews..2-3 articles.

For info.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/disc-brakes-someone-might-have-to-take-a-bullet-for-change-to-happen-says-hansen

I think it's more about the UCI not listening to the rider's 'union' than anything to do with brakes, IMHO.
Last edited by Bustedknuckle on 26 Feb 2017 11:36, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Bustedknuckle

25 Feb 2017 22:38

In the past year we've seen 3 instances of riders crying wolf. Ventoso, Maes, and now Doull claiming bloody murder, and all debunked straight away with video, photos, witness accounts, even forensic investigations. One thing is for certain that there's more great acting performances like this coming unless a completely new working agreement emerges between all parties. But until then, some roadies are treating disc exactly how footballers take a dive. You don't even have to be anywhere near one in a crash and anybody can claim anything. It's turning into an art form.

Kittel now saying he'll hang up the discs out of respect for his colleagues’. Good on him! And if the investigation proves that Doull is lying he should not only provide an apology to everyone, but should be punished either with a fine, or have to sit out a race or two, or both.

Re:

11 Mar 2017 15:49

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:In the past year we've seen 3 instances of riders crying wolf. Ventoso, Maes, and now Doull claiming bloody murder, and all debunked straight away with video, photos, witness accounts, even forensic investigations. One thing is for certain that there's more great acting performances like this coming unless a completely new working agreement emerges between all parties. But until then, some roadies are treating disc exactly how footballers take a dive. You don't even have to be anywhere near one in a crash and anybody can claim anything. It's turning into an art form.

Kittel now saying he'll hang up the discs out of respect for his colleagues’. Good on him! And if the investigation proves that Doull is lying he should not only provide an apology to everyone, but should be punished either with a fine, or have to sit out a race or two, or both.

No one needs proof anymore but I do appreciate the concern by the riders. Crashing is bad enough without worrying about getting cut too. I just read the forensic report on Ventoso, Chainring. Saw the test with a shoe and disk brake. could not cut it even with a motor driving the wheel. The only thing holding me back is he cost to switch. Even the tandem which has a rear cable actuated disk needs a new fork and front wheel to go full disk. too many bikes to replace. Any new bike I buy will have disk brakes. I do wish my carbon Wheels were disk brake too. Love their performance but always think about the wet and the heat. I tend to agree that carbon wheels should not be clinchers either because of the way they need to manage heat in braking. Disk brakes are the perfect fix for heat management at the rim. Might even make tubeless clinchers easier to build out of carbon too. I thought I saw a bike with disks in Paris Nice?
User avatar Master50

Re: Re:

11 Mar 2017 17:47

Master50 wrote:...I thought I saw a bike with disks in Paris Nice?

Kittel back on them, and Martin and Morkov from Katusha. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I'm in agreement with Sagan's idea of an "all or nothing" field. Though a bit stifling if you're trying to get anything done at the development level to improve your products, they have to be in race situations and have rider feedback to move forward. So maybe treat it the same way the UCI let it play out in cyclocross, let the riders choose. And much of the advancements in disc brakes for the last few years that are being applied to road are coming from cross. Imagine for a moment how much more refined these brakes would become once some pro roadies dislodge their head from their behinds. On the other hand, I'm actually applauding these guys for calling the CPA's bluff on the threat of litigation and going maverick. Tough case to bring when you have no proof, and I think that finally some of the most ardent critics are starting to come around. Now the manufacturers are in a situation where most have road disc models but mainly in the 'endurance' format, and at this point very few are able to supply a PT level rig. Or a company like Factor who doesn't even have a disc anything.

Previous

Return to General