Log in:  

Register

Tubeless Nightmare

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

18 Sep 2016 20:19

MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Yet another reason to ride tubular :D


RIGHT on and winkybiker above you..clinchers are for nancys.


Tubulars on everyday road bikes are for nostalgic geezers that wish it was still 1986. ;)


I dunno. There seems to be a modern trend towards mucking around with strange liquids; which is a big part of riding tubs.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 996
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

Re: Re:

19 Sep 2016 00:19

MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Yet another reason to ride tubular :D


RIGHT on and winkybiker above you..clinchers are for nancys.


Tubulars on everyday road bikes are for nostalgic geezers that wish it was still 1986. ;)

Nah, I was only 5 years old then! :D
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,293
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2016 12:02

MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Yet another reason to ride tubular :D


RIGHT on and winkybiker above you..clinchers are for nancys.


Tubulars on everyday road bikes are for nostalgic geezers that wish it was still 1986. ;)


Nope, you probably think tubeless with tape/goop/valves are actually easier than tubulari. ;) ;)
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,946
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2016 14:06

Bustedknuckle wrote:
MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Yet another reason to ride tubular :D


RIGHT on and winkybiker above you..clinchers are for nancys.


Tubulars on everyday road bikes are for nostalgic geezers that wish it was still 1986. ;)


Nope, you probably think tubeless with tape/goop/valves are actually easier than tubulari. ;) ;)


Tire mounting ease is of no concern to me, I use what the route commands. My garage floor looks like spilt milk every time I set up tubeless, but the extra hassle has saved my a$$ on more than one occasion in the middle of absolutely nowhere. As much as I love my tubular road wheels there are limitations to that relationship. I'm not married to one tire system, but oddly enough I know some are. :)

Oh, btw. I haven't used traditional glue on any of my road or cx tubulars for the past year. Toss out any opinions you have of tubular tape because Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape really does work! Easier to mount than any glued tubular, and that tape has better adhesion and far more even spread than you can achieve with glue. Easier than a clincher/tubeless set up by miles! But still, daily tubulars pose serious limitations for some of the roads I frequent and the kind of riding I do. [thumbs up!]
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Re:

24 Sep 2016 13:15

MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Yet another reason to ride tubular :D


RIGHT on and winkybiker above you..clinchers are for nancys.


Tubulars on everyday road bikes are for nostalgic geezers that wish it was still 1986. ;)


Nope, you probably think tubeless with tape/goop/valves are actually easier than tubulari. ;) ;)


Tire mounting ease is of no concern to me, I use what the route commands. My garage floor looks like spilt milk every time I set up tubeless, but the extra hassle has saved my a$$ on more than one occasion in the middle of absolutely nowhere. As much as I love my tubular road wheels there are limitations to that relationship. I'm not married to one tire system, but oddly enough I know some are. :)

Oh, btw. I haven't used traditional glue on any of my road or cx tubulars for the past year. Toss out any opinions you have of tubular tape because Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape really does work! Easier to mount than any glued tubular, and that tape has better adhesion and far more even spread than you can achieve with glue. Easier than a clincher/tubeless set up by miles! But still, daily tubulars pose serious limitations for some of the roads I frequent and the kind of riding I do. [thumbs up!]


There's a thread on the Paceline forum about this tape and a couple of fails. Even a tech guy from the company is not sure why. I also had a major fail with the new Vittoria tubie glue(superglue?) that didn't work at all.

I use either Panaracer, Weldwood or Challenge...easy, fast. Ride on tubies every ride, get few, almost no, flats. I use OrangeSeal in them...Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm.....ymmv
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,946
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re: Re:

24 Sep 2016 15:36

MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Yet another reason to ride tubular :D


RIGHT on and winkybiker above you..clinchers are for nancys.


Tubulars on everyday road bikes are for nostalgic geezers that wish it was still 1986. ;)


Nope, you probably think tubeless with tape/goop/valves are actually easier than tubulari. ;) ;)


I set up tubeless, but the extra hassle has saved my a$$ on more than one occasion in the middle of absolutely nowhere.


How so? I've never been stranded on tyres with tubes. I just put a new tube in. The couple of major cuts and slashes I've had over the last 10 years would absolutely not have been sealed by any sort of sealant, and anyone riding behind me would have been sprayed with white goop. A $5 note as a boot, a new tube and I was good to go. I continue to remain unaware of any real reason why I would ride road tubeless.

(I also read last week of the existence of "stanimals" which apparently are lumps of hardened sealant that rattle around inside tubeless tyres. Who needs this?)
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 996
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

Re: Re:

24 Sep 2016 17:25

Bustedknuckle wrote:
There's a thread on the Paceline forum about this tape and a couple of fails. Even a tech guy from the company is not sure why. I also had a major fail with the new Vittoria tubie glue(superglue?) that didn't work at all.

I use either Panaracer, Weldwood or Challenge...easy, fast. Ride on tubies every ride, get few, almost no, flats. I use OrangeSeal in them...Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm.....ymmv


Yeah, nothing is fool proof. You can screw up Carogna tape just like anything else. I have 3 sets of tubulars with this tape, 2 cx (both of which I'm currently racing on) and 1 road, no fails.

Daily 25 Vitt tubulars, man I miss those days! I think people don't realize where you live Bustedknuckle, your worst stretch of road is still better than what most people have access to. Even the dirt roads around your town are smoother than the pavement I deal with on the daily. How does the saying go?... 'People from _______ live in a bubble'. I'm moving back to your area in about three months, and that is an exciting prospect to be able to ride my road bikes more often with tubulars and not have to worry about shredding them to bits. ;)
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Re:

24 Sep 2016 17:50

winkybiker wrote:
MWC wrote: I set up tubeless, but the extra hassle has saved my a$$ on more than one occasion in the middle of absolutely nowhere.


How so? I've never been stranded on tyres with tubes. I just put a new tube in. The couple of major cuts and slashes I've had over the last 10 years would absolutely not have been sealed by any sort of sealant, and anyone riding behind me would have been sprayed with white goop. A $5 note as a boot, a new tube and I was good to go. I continue to remain unaware of any real reason why I would ride road tubeless.

(I also read last week of the existence of "stanimals" which apparently are lumps of hardened sealant that rattle around inside tubeless tyres. Who needs this?)


I live in the Goathead thorn belt of the US. They can ruin a ride in a hurry, paved or dirt. I've had quadruple flats running normal clinchers with tubes, both wheels, the spare, and running out of patches because too many holes. 2 hour drive from civilization and the girlfriend packed a lunch to come scoop me up out of a river valley. Same trail, run on tubeless I had about a dozen goatheads in each tire, made it home with not even a leak. Another one regarding pinch flats; coming off a mountain on a rocky dirt road descent I'm on tubeless and my friend on tubed clinchers pinch flats all of his tubes and spares and my spare for my tubeless set up. He had 4 flats in about 3 miles. We hit so many rocks at speed, I was rimming out on some just like how buddy pinch flatted into oblivion. No flats for me. Friend rides tubeless all the time now since that incident. "Stanimals" Just means the sealant was doing it's job, so you wash the old out and put in new. As a result I almost never flat tubeless. Twice in six years, and that was before all the great road & cx tubeless options available now.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Re:

25 Sep 2016 03:27

MWC wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
MWC wrote: I set up tubeless, but the extra hassle has saved my a$$ on more than one occasion in the middle of absolutely nowhere.


How so? I've never been stranded on tyres with tubes. I just put a new tube in. The couple of major cuts and slashes I've had over the last 10 years would absolutely not have been sealed by any sort of sealant, and anyone riding behind me would have been sprayed with white goop. A $5 note as a boot, a new tube and I was good to go. I continue to remain unaware of any real reason why I would ride road tubeless.

(I also read last week of the existence of "stanimals" which apparently are lumps of hardened sealant that rattle around inside tubeless tyres. Who needs this?)


I live in the Goathead thorn belt of the US. They can ruin a ride in a hurry, paved or dirt. I've had quadruple flats running normal clinchers with tubes, both wheels, the spare, and running out of patches because too many holes. 2 hour drive from civilization and the girlfriend packed a lunch to come scoop me up out of a river valley. Same trail, run on tubeless I had about a dozen goatheads in each tire, made it home with not even a leak. Another one regarding pinch flats; coming off a mountain on a rocky dirt road descent I'm on tubeless and my friend on tubed clinchers pinch flats all of his tubes and spares and my spare for my tubeless set up. He had 4 flats in about 3 miles. We hit so many rocks at speed, I was rimming out on some just like how buddy pinch flatted into oblivion. No flats for me. Friend rides tubeless all the time now since that incident. "Stanimals" Just means the sealant was doing it's job, so you wash the old out and put in new. As a result I almost never flat tubeless. Twice in six years, and that was before all the great road & cx tubeless options available now.


Wow. I haven't pinch-flatted for perhaps 20 years; although, honestly I don't recall ever pinch-flatting. At least not since I bought my first track pump and could get decent (and known) tyre pressures. I've ridden mountain bikes, loaded tourers and road bikes on all manner of surfaces. Thankfully, it just doesn't seem to be an issue for me. But the thorn thing.....OK that's something relevant to you, but again, thankfully, not to me. Never seen it anywhere I've ridden.

I'll re-iterate that I see zero advantage in mucking around with goop, hard to fit and seat tyres, and the risk of being sprayed with white goo when I do flat. With tubeless I'd still have to carry spare tubes and a pump (but not CO2, obviously!).This complete and utter lack of tubeless advantage is perhaps only true for my purposes and experience. YMMV.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 996
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

25 Sep 2016 04:53

Indeed. This time of year in this region of the US where some of the best riding goes down, it's riddled with goatheads. Some patches are so overgrown it looks like snow. Then the Fall winds kick up and blow them everywhere. Tubeless is the answer for some, not everyone. Just like every other 'thingy' out there. We're being inundated with a lot of tech the last few years, some of it legit, some not. It's up to you whether that 'thingy' benefits you or not. No doubt tubeless is legit and many benefit from it.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Tubeless Nightmare

25 Sep 2016 14:25

I was just reading on another forum about the need to periodically check that the sealant hasn't dried out and become ineffective. Another piece of faffing I can do without. Seems much easier to just change the tube on the rare occasions that I do flat.

I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 996
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

25 Sep 2016 15:55

winkybiker wrote:...I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.


Totally understand. Bicycle internet forums are a popular place for people to complain about things they have no experience with, or even a use for. ;)
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Re:

26 Sep 2016 14:10

MWC wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
There's a thread on the Paceline forum about this tape and a couple of fails. Even a tech guy from the company is not sure why. I also had a major fail with the new Vittoria tubie glue(superglue?) that didn't work at all.

I use either Panaracer, Weldwood or Challenge...easy, fast. Ride on tubies every ride, get few, almost no, flats. I use OrangeSeal in them...Vittoria Corsa Elite in 25mm.....ymmv


Yeah, nothing is fool proof. You can screw up Carogna tape just like anything else. I have 3 sets of tubulars with this tape, 2 cx (both of which I'm currently racing on) and 1 road, no fails.

Daily 25 Vitt tubulars, man I miss those days! I think people don't realize where you live Bustedknuckle, your worst stretch of road is still better than what most people have access to. Even the dirt roads around your town are smoother than the pavement I deal with on the daily. How does the saying go?... 'People from _______ live in a bubble'. I'm moving back to your area in about three months, and that is an exciting prospect to be able to ride my road bikes more often with tubulars and not have to worry about shredding them to bits. ;)


Yup, the people's republic is in a bubble....
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,946
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

Re:

29 Sep 2016 20:04

MWC wrote:
winkybiker wrote:...I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.


Totally understand. Bicycle internet forums are a popular place for people to complain about things they have no experience with, or even a use for. ;)


I'd be inclined to gain experience in road tubeless if someone could give me a valid reason (apart from the self-sealing of minor punctures) why I'd want to.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 996
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

Re: Re:

30 Sep 2016 02:59

winkybiker wrote:
MWC wrote:
winkybiker wrote:...I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.


Totally understand. Bicycle internet forums are a popular place for people to complain about things they have no experience with, or even a use for. ;)


I'd be inclined to gain experience in road tubeless if someone could give me a valid reason (apart from the self-sealing of minor punctures) why I'd want to.


That's reason enough for me. Why are you looking for a valid reason when you made it pretty clear you can't benefit from it, or grasp the procedural "faffing I can do without" aspect of it?
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Re:

30 Sep 2016 18:14

MWC wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
MWC wrote:
winkybiker wrote:...I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.


Totally understand. Bicycle internet forums are a popular place for people to complain about things they have no experience with, or even a use for. ;)


I'd be inclined to gain experience in road tubeless if someone could give me a valid reason (apart from the self-sealing of minor punctures) why I'd want to.


That's reason enough for me. Why are you looking for a valid reason when you made it pretty clear you can't benefit from it, or grasp the procedural "faffing I can do without" aspect of it?


But not for me. Punctures are so rare for me anyway that this potential upside is trivial to me (who is now almost certain to get a flat on the way home tonight).
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 996
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

Re: Re:

01 Oct 2016 02:20

winkybiker wrote:
MWC wrote:
winkybiker wrote:
MWC wrote:
winkybiker wrote:...I don't want to come off as just really negative about road tubeless, but I'm just really negative about road tubeless.


Totally understand. Bicycle internet forums are a popular place for people to complain about things they have no experience with, or even a use for. ;)


I'd be inclined to gain experience in road tubeless if someone could give me a valid reason (apart from the self-sealing of minor punctures) why I'd want to.


That's reason enough for me. Why are you looking for a valid reason when you made it pretty clear you can't benefit from it, or grasp the procedural "faffing I can do without" aspect of it?


But not for me. Punctures are so rare for me anyway that this potential upside is trivial to me (who is now almost certain to get a flat on the way home tonight).


I think you need a hug. :rolleyes:
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 615
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

21 Nov 2016 20:04

For the last three years I have been riding a lot of kilometers with a tubeless wheel set. Schwalbe One tubeless on Stan's Alpha 340 rims. And never had a problem in 20.000km, with tyre change after approximately 5.000km
Piton
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 18 Nov 2016 13:44

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top