Register

Tinkoff Saxo drive train

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Tinkoff Saxo drive train

12 Apr 2015 22:11

In light of Sagan's broken shifter I looked to see what drivetrain components (derailleurs, etc) are used by the team. As far as I could find the team has to individual sponsor but instead is using a variety of left over SRAM and purchased Shimano components.
Could it be that no manufacturer wanted to accept the teams terms?
avanti

Re: Tinkoff Saxo drive train

13 Apr 2015 01:06

Tinkoff Saxo's normal (as far as Sagan's bikes go) is DuraAce DI2 + FSA KForce Light crank. No SRAM this year. Not 100% this combo is what he was riding today - since there seem to be a few DI2 rider who switch to mechanical for the classics.
dougvdh

13 Apr 2015 01:36

At the moment Saxo are using purchased Shimano groupsets until the new FSA groupset is ready for release. There's been a mix of Shimano, FSA and last years SRAM getting around the team.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

13 Apr 2015 07:29

Di2 let him "Sagan" down. He could not shift on the big ring.
It is just not reliable enough for the pros. Nibs and others still use mechanical.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QprXnpzS9_I
ray j willings

13 Apr 2015 10:55

ray j willings wrote:Di2 let him "Sagan" down. He could not shift on the big ring.
It is just not reliable enough for the pros. Nibs and others still use mechanical.

Big problem with Di2 is that it works perfectly until it doesn't. With a cable..replace the cable, make sure the housing isn't split..probably gonna be fine. No real diagnostic(altho there is if they plug the thing into a laptop), but if it works, they don't.

I think it's reliable for the most part. Just real hard to diagnose or 'feel' when something isn't quite right. Not very crash worthy either. I think mechanical would have been the way to go for P-R..but shimano doesn't like that.
User avatar Bustedknuckle

13 Apr 2015 17:44

Bustedknuckle wrote:
ray j willings wrote:Di2 let him "Sagan" down. He could not shift on the big ring.

Big problem with Di2 is that it works perfectly until it doesn't. With a cable..replace the cable, make sure the housing isn't split..probably gonna be fine. No real diagnostic(altho there is if they plug the thing into a laptop), but if it works, they don't.

I think it's reliable for the most part. Just real hard to diagnose or 'feel' when something isn't quite right. Not very crash worthy either. I think mechanical would have been the way to go for P-R..but shimano doesn't like that.

I agree . I think if your a weekend warrior then fine, you can stick it in the shop on Monday.
Its not going to cost you a win in a big race.
One of my friends has Di2. He took his bike out of his car" surrey sunday morning ride" and the battery was flat
,no ride.
ray j willings

14 Apr 2015 03:41

Bustedknuckle wrote:

Outside of Cancellara, who else exclusively rides the DA mech group?
richwagmn

Return to General