Register

Sizing a New Chain - which method?

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

18 Jun 2015 18:01

Thanks for the follow up Bustedknuckle.

The chain is a Shimano and using a "Quick-Link" as that is what is currently on there.
User avatar StinkFist

Re: Re:

19 Jun 2015 15:09

King Boonen wrote:
42x16ss wrote:The method you described is the one that I use and yes, thread the chain through the rear derailleur. The chain should be *just* long enough to run the largest rear cog on the big chainring.

I never do this. Can't see why that's a good idea as you length will then completely depend on what angle you pull the mech cage to.

If I remember correctly Shimano recommends that the pulley bolts be directly vertical when in the big ring/small cog. Its been at least 10 years since I've not had the old chain to measure with so I might be wrong.

Here's a video of the small/small method: http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/installshimanoroadchain.html
jmdirt

Re: Re:

19 Jun 2015 17:51

jmdirt wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
42x16ss wrote:The method you described is the one that I use and yes, thread the chain through the rear derailleur. The chain should be *just* long enough to run the largest rear cog on the big chainring.

I never do this. Can't see why that's a good idea as you length will then completely depend on what angle you pull the mech cage to.

If I remember correctly Shimano recommends that the pulley bolts be directly vertical when in the big ring/small cog. Its been at least 10 years since I've not had the old chain to measure with so I might be wrong.

Here's a video of the small/small method: http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/installshimanoroadchain.html

Thank you.

I should have time this weekend to get the work done.
User avatar StinkFist

Previous

Return to General