Register

Rotor Hydraulic Groupset - where is FSA??

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

31 Aug 2015 16:09

Bustedknuckle wrote:
StyrbjornSterki wrote:No, no, no, ...you don't get off that easy. Now you have to tell us what body part that's on. :D

Inside left arm.

Thank you. Being as the limb in question is unshaved, I suspected as much.

Once while spectating the final stage of the TdF from Place de la Concorde, I chanced across an Englishman with near abouts its twin on his inside right (shaved) calf (except his read "Brev Campagnolo)", in the customary location of the notorious chain ring tattoo.
User avatar StyrbjornSterki

01 Sep 2015 11:16

StyrbjornSterki wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
StyrbjornSterki wrote:No, no, no, ...you don't get off that easy. Now you have to tell us what body part that's on. :D

Inside left arm.

Thank you. Being as the limb in question is unshaved, I suspected as much.

Once while spectating the final stage of the TdF from Place de la Concorde, I chanced across an Englishman with near abouts its twin on his inside right (shaved) calf (except his read "Brev Campagnolo)", in the customary location of the notorious chain ring tattoo.

Molte bene
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re:

01 Sep 2015 11:27

wendybnt wrote:Really? I've not heard about that, but then that isn't saying much! My partner is much more in touch with things and still has one or two mates at the sharp end here and there. As I said, he left the wrenching business before electronic, but I do know that one of the reasons his mates like it is because it overcomes the issues with internal cabling with mechanical set-ups, especially if ridden in bad weather.

I'd be interested to know what you've heard about teams ditching Sram for non-financial reasons. My estimation would be that sram aren't offering the sponsorships because of financial reasons. Until they get electronic going they've got nothing to punt. Plus they will have spent a lot of cash on the hydro cock-up, and developing their wireless system.

I can dig out the links but off the top of my head Vaughters dumped Sram went out and bought groupsets, Cavendish has moaned in public, Tinkov criticised them and the secret pro has alluded to the fact that they are a running joke in the peloton.

I'm sure no electronic groupset had something to do with it, but I think the bigger issue is the overall quality of their road gear.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

01 Sep 2015 11:36

King Boonen wrote:
wendybnt wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
wendybnt wrote:What about the Porsche Boxster? :D

Seriously though, I don't have your confidence in Campagnolo's survival in today's market. They weren't 'small and iconic', they were the market leaders and they have been shrinking since the 70s in the face of Shimano, and now Shimano and Sram. They've virtually disappeared from pro tour sponsorship too. Middle-aged fans and a cult following are all very well, but that won't keep them afloat. From what I've heard, they sacked a load of people recently.

They've reclaimed a few teams the last few years to be fair. Sure they lost AG2R but they still have:

Lotto Soudal
Movistar
Astana
Europcar
Rusvelo
Fantini
Southeast
Budget

Amongst others.

Better than SRAM's grand total of one WT team...

Think back to 2011. Sram had 8 WT teams (thus the largest supplier). Now they have only one, but it is almost certainly down to the lack of a Sram electronic groupset rather than an unwillingness to sponsor WT teams, or an unwillingness by WT teams to use Sram's stuff.

Extremely faulty logic there. Teams were buying other groupsets rather than use Sram, several people came out and openly criticised them. People who were sponsored by them.

BMC, Garmin, Tinkoff and Quickstep were all offered sram sponsorships, all turned them down. BMC and Garmin actually purchased shimano groupsets rather than have spam. It wasn't a case of electronic vs mechanical(Astana is all mechanical Campagnolo), it's about poor reliability, the idea that a stage might be lost because some of this slam crap failed.

Financially sram is on the ropes. 3 BIG Recalls plus the BIG competitor for sram, shimano, is putting the hurts on them.
sram focuses on wee markets with odd components(road hydraulic calipers-huh?) and 1 by. Cross is where spam focuses but where is that electronic/hydro disc group? Another fail.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

01 Sep 2015 12:03

The price of their top end MTB groups, along with that stupid XD hub is also putting a lot of people off...
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Previous

Return to General