Log in:  

Register

pro gear thread

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

23 May 2016 14:27

Lots of bikes in the bunch look to be fitted with 140 stems. I am looking to get a small BH G6 from a friend. It is still in the box but the top tube is @1cm smaller than my 54. I love the bike but I want to feel confident and comfortable with buying a stem that lasts the life of the bike. So far all the bikes featured in the CN galleries have FSA..looking for other choices. Any ideas welcome..

Also using Banana Boat sport sunscreen SPF 50,also used Nivea sport,When going on rides of 3-4 hours plus none of this stuff seems to be giving me any protection. I have invested about @150 dollars in failed products so if anybody knows a sure thing that won't start my eyes on fire as I start sweating I could use the help.
fatandfast
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,463
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 22:01

Re:

23 May 2016 15:07

fatandfast wrote:Lots of bikes in the bunch look to be fitted with 140 stems. I am looking to get a small BH G6 from a friend. It is still in the box but the top tube is @1cm smaller than my 54. I love the bike but I want to feel confident and comfortable with buying a stem that lasts the life of the bike. So far all the bikes featured in the CN galleries have FSA..looking for other choices. Any ideas welcome..

Also using Banana Boat sport sunscreen SPF 50,also used Nivea sport,When going on rides of 3-4 hours plus none of this stuff seems to be giving me any protection. I have invested about @150 dollars in failed products so if anybody knows a sure thing that won't start my eyes on fire as I start sweating I could use the help.


I don't like FSA's engineering. 3T or Ritchey (if you don't want "European") would be my favourites. How long is your stem on your current bike, and what would be the length you'd need on the new one? 140 is the maximum you'd want, but would likely be fine. You'd actually struggle to find a longer one. Don't buy a bike that is the wrong size, no matter how good the deal.

Can't help with the sunscreen. I live in Canada where such things are essentially non-existent.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 1,092
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

23 May 2016 16:02

Seat and head tube angles have to be equal with your old bike for the top tube length to be a direct comparison.

Don't sweat it. Stems are one of the cheapest parts when it comes to bike fitting, and besides, what the pros use is neither here nor there. As winkybiker says, get a frame that fits, and if you aren't sure what that means for you, get a decent bikefitting first.

As for FSA, I'm always sceptical until their parts prove they work, unlike (shimano) Pro branded stuff which like all Shimano (and Campag) can be trusted on brand name. Fsa kit is often seen on branded off the peg machines as a substitution for brand/groupset parts. It isn't because it's better, it's because it's cheaper.

For sunscreen, try the P20 stuff (or higher factor ) from Riemann. It is excellent for sports. Stick it on once, let it dry, then forget.
User avatar kwikki
Member
 
Posts: 1,013
Joined: 03 Apr 2016 15:47

23 May 2016 17:15

My current bike has a 120 and it's about right to just a couple of millimeters small. Before I dump cash on the new bike I want to make sure that I have the flexibility to get the reach I have now with a little variation in the drop if I decide to add a little to the stack. I see bikes all over SCal that have the fork cut way too aggressive and then the stem angle is the solution to being old,back problems or plain poor positions. Also I climb like a one legged overweight donkey so my position is basically for crits.
I watch 3 pros from my town who are ages 23-29 climb and it confirms that I get many benefits from climbing both in and out of the saddle but as far as contesting anything with medium to long selective climbs is out of my imagination. My hands fall on the bars at a comfortable place while climbing and I have a really good arm bent position on the tops and drops so I want a new bike but I don't want to go through months or years of adapting to a new position. I also don't want my brutal pulling on the bars all the time to be an issue. I currently have a Ritchey **** pit w a carbon wrapped stem and alloy bars and have zero issues with the feel being flexible. I want the same but I don't want to drop @300 bucks on a stem. I was always interested in the Deda 35 line but it never really caught on.
fatandfast
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,463
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 22:01

Re:

26 May 2016 02:56

fatandfast wrote:Also using Banana Boat sport sunscreen SPF 50,also used Nivea sport,When going on rides of 3-4 hours plus none of this stuff seems to be giving me any protection. I have invested about @150 dollars in failed products so if anybody knows a sure thing that won't start my eyes on fire as I start sweating I could use the help.


Ocean Potion's Face Potion.

If you don't mind people looking at you funny then Bullfrog's Superblock will keep you looking like a mime for hours.
"Their world is crumbling. Ours is being built."
DamianoMachiavelli
Junior Member
 
Posts: 232
Joined: 21 Oct 2015 22:35

26 May 2016 04:52

Here in NZ (and Ozzie as well) we have a HUGE problem with skin cancer......best screen I have used is this stuff - https://www.gotskinnies.com/

As for stopping sweat dripping in your eyes and stinging with the inclusion of the screen.....take some vaseline (petroleum jelly) and rub a smooth layer over your eyebrows and around the corners of your eyes.....an old tip I picked up from some Ironman buddies - works a treat! ;)

Stems: - Ritchey Carbon WCS on the road bike, Thomson on the MTB and a no name POS on the SS / Commuter.
Love Thomson Masterpiece Posts as well.....not much love on these boards for anything FSA.....never bought it, tried it - can't comment sorry.
User avatar JackRabbitSlims
Member
 
Posts: 1,508
Joined: 10 Jan 2010 01:06
Location: On The Road.

17 Jun 2016 00:28

Was not able to get any of the sunscreen brands suggested. I bought some at a surfshop that is mixed by a chemistry student at UCSD. The girl add some emulsifiers to Bullfrog and it doesn't seem to run to much. My lobster look has lessened after using it.
The jackrabbit suggestion on use of g
Vasoline is 100% effective. Only downside is many of my rides are on some pretty dirty roads and I return looking like Paris Roubaix on its worst day.
Also somebody just told me that lever reversal is normal in the UK and Australia... Is this true? After so many years of motorcycling having the front brake on the throttle side is just normal to me.
fatandfast
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,463
Joined: 14 Jul 2009 22:01

Re:

17 Jun 2016 02:38

fatandfast wrote:Was not able to get any of the sunscreen brands suggested. I bought some at a surfshop that is mixed by a chemistry student at UCSD. The girl add some emulsifiers to Bullfrog and it doesn't seem to run to much. My lobster look has lessened after using it.
The jackrabbit suggestion on use of g
Vasoline is 100% effective. Only downside is many of my rides are on some pretty dirty roads and I return looking like Paris Roubaix on its worst day.
Also somebody just told me that lever reversal is normal in the UK and Australia... Is this true? After so many years of motorcycling having the front brake on the throttle side is just normal to me.


Glad to hear the Vaseline worked out ok for you.
The post ride Paris / Roubaix look is tough......embrace it :D

We (in NZ) cable / hose brakes with the right side being the front brake.
User avatar JackRabbitSlims
Member
 
Posts: 1,508
Joined: 10 Jan 2010 01:06
Location: On The Road.

Re: Re:

19 Jun 2016 16:46

JackRabbitSlims wrote:
fatandfast wrote:Was not able to get any of the sunscreen brands suggested. I bought some at a surfshop that is mixed by a chemistry student at UCSD. The girl add some emulsifiers to Bullfrog and it doesn't seem to run to much. My lobster look has lessened after using it.
The jackrabbit suggestion on use of g
Vasoline is 100% effective. Only downside is many of my rides are on some pretty dirty roads and I return looking like Paris Roubaix on its worst day.
Also somebody just told me that lever reversal is normal in the UK and Australia... Is this true? After so many years of motorcycling having the front brake on the throttle side is just normal to me.


Glad to hear the Vaseline worked out ok for you.
The post ride Paris / Roubaix look is tough......embrace it :D

We (in NZ) cable / hose brakes with the right side being the front brake.


As it should be....
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,819
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

06 Jul 2016 15:41

It appears that all of the new top end shoes from the big players use BOA adjusters or a similar rotary type adjuster.

I like the new Mavic concept exoskeleton with a liner.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,988
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

06 Jul 2016 20:16

fatandfast wrote:............
Also somebody just told me that lever reversal is normal in the UK and Australia... Is this true? After so many years of motorcycling having the front brake on the throttle side is just normal to me.


I learned to ride a bike in the UK with the front brake lever on the right (I now ride in the USA).
I've heard a theory that front brake location is to aid in signaling turns but that idea does not make much sense to me in that I use the front brake most of the time.
avanti
Member
 
Posts: 1,180
Joined: 11 May 2009 05:52
Location: At 1,585 m elevation

Re: Re:

07 Jul 2016 22:34

avanti wrote:
fatandfast wrote:............
Also somebody just told me that lever reversal is normal in the UK and Australia... Is this true? After so many years of motorcycling having the front brake on the throttle side is just normal to me.


I learned to ride a bike in the UK with the front brake lever on the right (I now ride in the USA).
I've heard a theory that front brake location is to aid in signaling turns but that idea does not make much sense to me in that I use the front brake most of the time.


Yes, the idea that if we have to have one hand off the bars for signalling (left hand off the bars in the US/Canada) we are better off with just the back brake available is an idea perpetuated by idiots who think the front brake is dangerous and will throw you over the bars. I want my strongest brake to be in my dominant (right) hand.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 1,092
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

30 Aug 2016 21:06

Bumb.

Shimano finally comes up with decent looking stuff and reveal their first shoes with BOA technology. Prices should be revealed during Eurobike.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh-bike/en/home/news-and-info/news/s-phyre-road-and-mtb-footwear-unveiled.html

Image Image

They've been on testing by the pro's this season.
''The battle between Démare and Bouhanni for being France's best sprinter is decided: it's Coquard.'' - BBB
User avatar BigMac
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,352
Joined: 10 Jun 2013 22:10
Location: Estoril, Portugal

Re:

31 Aug 2016 05:55

BigMac wrote:Bumb.

Shimano finally comes up with decent looking stuff and reveal their first shoes with BOA technology. Prices should be revealed during Eurobike.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh-bike/en/home/news-and-info/news/s-phyre-road-and-mtb-footwear-unveiled.html

Image Image

They've been on testing by the pro's this season.


Always liked Shimano road shoes as they just fit right and the R320's I have been using for the last year and a half have been sublime, these new ones do look pretty cool
This is Cocaine...This is Chloroform...In short we ride on Dynamite!
User avatar StryderHells
Member
 
Posts: 1,601
Joined: 10 Oct 2015 16:03
Location: Melbourne-ish

Re: Re:

01 Sep 2016 04:48

winkybiker wrote:
avanti wrote:
fatandfast wrote:............
Also somebody just told me that lever reversal is normal in the UK and Australia... Is this true? After so many years of motorcycling having the front brake on the throttle side is just normal to me.


I learned to ride a bike in the UK with the front brake lever on the right (I now ride in the USA).
I've heard a theory that front brake location is to aid in signaling turns but that idea does not make much sense to me in that I use the front brake most of the time.


Yes, the idea that if we have to have one hand off the bars for signalling (left hand off the bars in the US/Canada) we are better off with just the back brake available is an idea perpetuated by idiots who think the front brake is dangerous and will throw you over the bars. I want my strongest brake to be in my dominant (right) hand.

Agreed. I only use a US/Euro setup with front brake on the left because I'm extremely left handed, otherwise I'd use the standard Aus/UK setup.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,767
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

04 Sep 2016 14:50

Front brakes on the right is more related to motorcycles and those that ride them. they have the front brake on the right, clutch on the left.
Many pros now ride off the shelf bikes that may not be designed for them. IE the stem to seat height drop is less for we consumer types. what that often means for a pro is they ride a smaller frame with a longer stem and seat post to get the drop they want. and of course they are flexible enough to use every day. If anything many of us want higher bars and some of us buy bigger frames to get less drop and them put a short stem on. If I ever ordered a custom frame I think I would just need a taller head tube and keep the rest of the geometry the same.
User avatar Master50
Member
 
Posts: 1,165
Joined: 10 Mar 2009 13:52
Location: Vancouver Island

Re:

04 Sep 2016 18:39

Master50 wrote:.................. If I ever ordered a custom frame I think I would just need a taller head tube and keep the rest of the geometry the same.


The last bike I bought I looked at ones with a taller head tube. What I found was stack height is better indicator due to bb height and fork and headset dimensional variations.
avanti
Member
 
Posts: 1,180
Joined: 11 May 2009 05:52
Location: At 1,585 m elevation

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

Back to top