Register

Big Firm vs Boutique - Who do you prefer

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Big Firm vs Boutique - Who do you prefer

13 Sep 2015 04:18

Hey guys,

when it comes to kit, I noticed that there is a rising number of new boutique size brands making pretty dope cycling gear, like the newcomer ZunnyArt, or more established Blacksheep cycling and Panache. On the other hand, the traditional heavy weights such as Santini, Castelli, or Assos are offering good quality, solid designs and a lot of history of course.

I think that despite a nice bike, its worth putting on some nice gear when going for a ride, especially for group rides and coffee brakes.

Which cycling gear do you prefer?

Also, lets put some pics of you favorite kits here if you like, it would be great to get an overview of whats out there
Sebas1811
Newly Registered Member

13 Sep 2015 05:10

yeah
dressing for the coffee break is important
huge consideration there :rolleyes:

assos bibs coz they fit me the best i've ever had.....just buy the same pair over and over again - black
defeet aireator sox - coz i like them - low cut
jersey - i literally have 50 - 60 of them hanging up - just what ever takes my fancy on the day - multiple brands and cuts
arm / leg / knee warmers - sock guy and nalini - coz i like them and they fit me well
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

13 Sep 2015 05:56

I'm not big on their marketing (claiming ownership of the heritage of cycling) but the British Rapha stuff is really really good, if you like the retro-modern styling. Castelli is way over-priced. Assos is good quality and lasts forever, but the styling needs a bit of a refresh. Santini is always goof value, as is craft.

I suppose my favorite 'boutique' kit is Ground Effect, but then I know some of the guys there and I don't have to pay for it :D
User avatar wendybnt

13 Sep 2015 07:02

good call wendy

have me some great ground effects mtb shorts & craft undershirts with the windstopper front - good kit
User avatar JackRabbitSlims

13 Sep 2015 07:04

I love my witches britches
User avatar wendybnt

13 Sep 2015 07:35

I have more important things to do with my money than to try to impress other cyclists. If it does the job and does not look horrendous, I'll buy any brand anywhere, so long as it's inexpensive.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

13 Sep 2015 08:07

Really? I enjoy wearing nice looking clothes on the bike, just as I do off the bike.
User avatar wendybnt

13 Sep 2015 09:57

Yes really: I cycle to keep fit, not to seek other people's approval.

13 Sep 2015 10:07

You know it is possible to look nice just for yourself rather than for other people ;)

(something a lot of men don't seem to understand about women)
User avatar wendybnt

13 Sep 2015 10:12

Well I was trying to avoid adding that I don't need to dress in any particular way to maintain self esteem...

13 Sep 2015 10:13

I love wool jerseys. Not particularly retro ones but ones without loads of logos. They are extremely comfortable, have a large useable temperature range and don't smell. I currently have a yellow Torm one with 2 black stripes, a French tricolore from Cima Coppi (my favourite) and a blue vulpine one which is slightly lighter weight and works brilliantly as a base layer under a waterproof jacket or when it gets really hot. Black shorts from Pactimo as they fit me and the cytech chamois is the best I've ever sat on. Black yorkshire wool socks from Planet X so I don't have to think about it.

Wet weather gear, I buy the stuff that works, whatever the brand. Currently have an Orange POC AVIP jacket and it's bloody brilliant. Endura yellow pakagilet is perfect for when it't not going to rain for the whole ride.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re: Big Firm vs Boutique - Who do you prefer

13 Sep 2015 10:46

Rapha, best bibs and jerseys I have ever used(35 years or cycling). Best neck Gator, best hats, the best. Expensive, yes, but far better durability and fit and function than some others which are also very expensive.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

13 Sep 2015 11:04

For shorts I'd go for any of these brands with the right pad:

http://www.elasticinterface.com/brands-2/

Pactimo hit the right price/durability point for me along with the plain black requirement (only a small red Pactimo logo on the right leg).
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

13 Sep 2015 19:31

wendybnt wrote:You know it is possible to look nice just for yourself rather than for other people ;)

(something a lot of men don't seem to understand about women)

I agree. But I think inside we would all like to be admired by everyone.
ray j willings

13 Sep 2015 19:38

I style myself on these 3 images .

ray j willings

Re: Big Firm vs Boutique - Who do you prefer

13 Sep 2015 21:49

Bustedknuckle wrote:Rapha, best bibs and jerseys I have ever used(35 years or cycling). Best neck Gator, best hats, the best. Expensive, yes, but far better durability and fit and function than some others which are also very expensive.

My other half agrees with you on Rapha, she says its head and shoulders above anything else available for women - including Assos.

Me, I've always just worn club/squad/LBS team kit
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

13 Sep 2015 23:02

I use Pearl Izumi shorts - I've tried several other brands but find they abrade my skin. When shorts used to use real chamois I wore Kucharick shorts.
Jerseys I use what ever brand fits me and looks good. Fortunately our Pactimo club jersey meets that definition.
avanti

14 Sep 2015 01:54

Assos for me. Their next gen bib is even better than the previous version.
richwagmn

Re:

14 Sep 2015 18:20

Armchair cyclist wrote:I have more important things to do with my money than to try to impress other cyclists. If it does the job and does not look horrendous, I'll buy any brand anywhere, so long as it's inexpensive.

Ironically the most "inexpensive" kit I own is the stuff I paid most for. I have yet to wear out a single Rapha or Assos piece. The bonus is that the expensive kits works very, very well, while it is lasting a very, very long time. Cheap kit doesn't work as well, and often doesn't last as long.
winkybiker

Re:

14 Sep 2015 18:22

avanti wrote:I use Pearl Izumi shorts - I've tried several other brands but find they abrade my skin. When shorts used to use real chamois I wore Kucharick shorts.
Jerseys I use what ever brand fits me and looks good. Fortunately our Pactimo club jersey meets that definition.

I have one pair of PI. I actually find them quite uncomfortable, especially in the wet. Quite abrasive, so my experience is opposite to yours. They might be a cheap pair - I can't recall what I paid. (And I've never looked back after leaving real chamois behind - I hated that slimy stuff)
winkybiker

Next

Return to General