Register

Long Distance Commute Bike

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Long Distance Commute Bike

17 Jan 2017 20:03

Hi
Just wondering if anyone can help. I am hoping to start commuting to work soon due to finances and the need to get fitter. The distance to my workplace and back is 29 miles each way on A and B roads. As I have just got back into cycling I will obviously need to build up to this so want to get the right bike without breaking the bank.
I am quite a big bloke so need to be as comfortable as I can be so I hope someone can advise on a good bike.
Sorry if I come across as a rookie here, just hoping for some wise advice.
jay22
Newly Registered Member

18 Jan 2017 10:15

We would need to know a budget, height and weight, if you want to go through an LBS or are ok with online. Is the route fairly flat?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

18 Jan 2017 11:55

Lights, mud guards / fenders, sturdy tyres, carry 2 inner tubes and tools, pump, sturdy lock that you can leave at rack at work, some sort of rain-cover for at least the saddle.
Waterproof backpack for carrying clothes. Keep heavy items such as shoes at work, also deodorant, etc. Keep a full extra set of clothes at work - just in case.

Pedals - Flat, maybe with toeclips and loose straps. No special bike shoes - you need to be able to walk if necessary. Sturdy shoe for riding, I wore leather boots in cold weather (-10 F was my coldest - that was a mistake, lucky that nothing froze and broke off ME).

I suggest an inexpensive bike with adequate gears for the commute. Something that you can clean and repair yourself.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

Re:

18 Jan 2017 14:25

JayKosta wrote:Lights, mud guards / fenders, sturdy tyres, carry 2 inner tubes and tools, pump, sturdy lock that you can leave at rack at work, some sort of rain-cover for at least the saddle.
Waterproof backpack for carrying clothes. Keep heavy items such as shoes at work, also deodorant, etc. Keep a full extra set of clothes at work - just in case.

Pedals - Flat, maybe with toeclips and loose straps. No special bike shoes - you need to be able to walk if necessary. Sturdy shoe for riding, I wore leather boots in cold weather (-10 F was my coldest - that was a mistake, lucky that nothing froze and broke off ME).

I suggest an inexpensive bike with adequate gears for the commute. Something that you can clean and repair yourself.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

29 miles is long enough to where I'd recommend clippless pedals. Riding is so much more efficient when your feet are secure. You can get mountain bike clips and shoes that aren't as awkward to walk in. Besides you'll already have your work shoes at work.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re: Long Distance Commute Bike

18 Jan 2017 16:32

jay22 wrote:Hi
Just wondering if anyone can help. I am hoping to start commuting to work soon due to finances and the need to get fitter. The distance to my workplace and back is 29 miles each way on A and B roads. As I have just got back into cycling I will obviously need to build up to this so want to get the right bike without breaking the bank.
I am quite a big bloke so need to be as comfortable as I can be so I hope someone can advise on a good bike.

Whatever bike you end up deciding on, make sure you get a professional bike fitting. At your size and being that you're a self proclaimed rookie, a poor bike fit would make for a miserable experience riding 29 miles RT everyday. Especially since your a newbie! A good bike with a proper fit should make you feel like you're riding an extension of yourself and give you many years of great riding.

It would be cool if you reported back to this thread when you finally buy a new bike and what you experience on your new journey.

Good luck! :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Long Distance Commute Bike

20 Jan 2017 20:04

jay22 wrote:Hi

The route has quite a few hills as im going to use the back roads to avaoid the heavy traffic. I've got around £1000 or so to spend max. I used to ride a bit years ago but to long ago to class myself as a novice. Im 5ft 10ins and weight around 100kg so the bike will have to be comfortable and able to take the weight (not sure if they make cast iron frames ???)

Many thanks for the advice so far
jay22
Newly Registered Member

20 Jan 2017 23:02

Well they still make steel frames! Are you wanting a road bike with drop bars or a flat barred hybrid type bike?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

21 Jan 2017 00:03

User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

21 Jan 2017 13:32

King Boonen wrote:Well they still make steel frames! Are you wanting a road bike with drop bars or a flat barred hybrid type bike?

Not sure as my back gives me pain at times. I guess the hybrid makes sense, just wasn't sure if that was the best choice due to distance. Really appreciate your help.
jay22
Newly Registered Member

Re:

21 Jan 2017 13:35

Thanks for the link, looks a good bike and may be comfortable enough. I wasn't sure if a drop bar bike was better for speed seeing as its a commute but I'm sure comfort is the priority and I will just have to leave earlier.
Many thanks for your help and advice.
jay22
Newly Registered Member

21 Jan 2017 14:31

To start, I'd first buy a cheap yard sale / garage sale bike to get into shape riding!
Doing a twice-a-day 29 mile one-way commute is tough - especially going at a speed slow enough to not drain your energy for the day. In addition to actual 'riding time', you'll need to consider the time needed for cool down, and recovery.

Maybe consider a motorized bicycle, etc.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

Return to General