Register

Crap cage

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Crap cage

24 Apr 2017 03:03

I really love my new bike..I am still pretty fat but I like the sub 17lb setup. Everything is pretty modern but.. I still wanted mechanical.. not enough shops near me to support Ultegra or Dura Ace electronic..oh well.
Now the problem.. have tried two different brands of water bottle cages and the @#%*ing bottles fall out on bumpy roads.. and before you say those are the only roads available.
In my non-carbon. life I used alloy cages.. didn't care how much they weighed or how they looked. Because of my age..I use for straps for everything.. bringing a vest or rain jacket? I roll it into a burrito and use the strap to hold it on the seat rails.
And before if I was going Roubaix riding I would cage my second bottle and put a strap around it going behind the seat tube and the bottle was not coming off.
Yes it took some kooky technique to get the second bottle free for drinking but I had lots of experience.
Everything I do with my new bike scratches the thing!!the matte black shows everything.cleat touched the stay.. scratch..leaned ever so gently against whatever..lil' scratches!!
I want to get a cage that looks good, , still give the bike race look.. scared of the rub marks a strap will cause..the cockpit cabling looks like it will rub thru the head tube soon!!! don't even get me started how paranoid I am about the chain slapping on the stay..
I thought carbon fiber was a miracle.. but so far it feels really fragile to me
Unchained

24 Apr 2017 04:36

Have a look at the Elite range of cages. These are generally the pros choice for cobbled races.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/elite-custom-race-bottle-cage-2014-1/

As for the cable rub, get some small frame stickers. They are generally clear and about the size of a small coin. Clean the area well first, then apply. You can also get them for your chainstay to protect against slapping.

http://www.wiggle.com.au/lizard-skins-frame-protector-patch-kit/
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Crap cage

27 Apr 2017 15:06

Unchained wrote:I really love my new bike..I am still pretty fat but I like the sub 17lb setup. Everything is pretty modern but.. I still wanted mechanical.. not enough shops near me to support Ultegra or Dura Ace electronic..oh well.
Now the problem.. have tried two different brands of water bottle cages and the @#%*ing bottles fall out on bumpy roads.. and before you say those are the only roads available.
In my non-carbon. life I used alloy cages.. didn't care how much they weighed or how they looked. Because of my age..I use for straps for everything.. bringing a vest or rain jacket? I roll it into a burrito and use the strap to hold it on the seat rails.
And before if I was going Roubaix riding I would cage my second bottle and put a strap around it going behind the seat tube and the bottle was not coming off.
Yes it took some kooky technique to get the second bottle free for drinking but I had lots of experience.
Everything I do with my new bike scratches the thing!!the matte black shows everything.cleat touched the stay.. scratch..leaned ever so gently against whatever..lil' scratches!!
I want to get a cage that looks good, , still give the bike race look.. scared of the rub marks a strap will cause..the cockpit cabling looks like it will rub thru the head tube soon!!! don't even get me started how paranoid I am about the chain slapping on the stay..
I thought carbon fiber was a miracle.. but so far it feels really fragile to me

King cage, stainless and titanium..bendable to make tighter, stainless/Ti so won't mark up bottles.
Iris model really nice.
http://www.kingcage.com/
User avatar Bustedknuckle

01 May 2017 03:05

A bit late to the party, but Arundel Mandible cages hang onto bottles extremely well.
Not cheap, but I've got them on a couple of bikes including my gravel bike that I bounce off rocks, tree roots, creek beds etc and haven't even looked like losing a bottle yet.
http://www.arundelbike.com/product/mandible/
Tim B

08 May 2017 13:15

My fave has always been the Tacx Tao.
User avatar veganrob

Re:

18 May 2017 01:48

Tim B wrote:A bit late to the party, but Arundel Mandible cages hang onto bottles extremely well.
Not cheap, but I've got them on a couple of bikes including my gravel bike that I bounce off rocks, tree roots, creek beds etc and haven't even looked like losing a bottle yet.
http://www.arundelbike.com/product/mandible/

i second this. Not sure of the model but one of their heavier (still light) carbon cages works well enough for MTB riding.
User avatar Master50

Return to General