Log in:  

Register

Touring saddle recommendations

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Touring saddle recommendations

07 May 2017 13:45

Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy
aperezy
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 May 2017 13:37

08 May 2017 09:18

I use ISM saddles on all my bikes. They take a little while to get used to but honestly it was the best thing I ever did. If you can find one to test for a couple of weeks I highly recommend it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,249
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

08 May 2017 11:33

King Boonen wrote:I use ISM saddles on all my bikes. They take a little while to get used to but honestly it was the best thing I ever did. If you can find one to test for a couple of weeks I highly recommend it.



Thanks, do you recommend a specific model? I check online and there are many options. Cheers
aperezy
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 May 2017 13:37

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

08 May 2017 12:43

aperezy wrote:Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy


Fake news. If you've never had 'sleepy winky', use the saddle that is most comfy.

I use SMP, not because of my winky but because of a saddle sore..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,087
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

08 May 2017 12:54

Brooks B72 is comfortable for long touring type rides.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta
Member
 
Posts: 727
Joined: 25 Nov 2010 13:55

Re:

08 May 2017 15:07

JayKosta wrote:Brooks B72 is comfortable for long touring type rides.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA


Thanks. I am familiar with this saddle, my only problem is weight and size when traveling. Now again my main concern was not only about confort because my saddles works well for me, my main concern was related to medical recommendations. I read online about many problems on prolonged sitting on my bike.

Thanks for your reply

Cheers
aperezy
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 May 2017 13:37

09 May 2017 01:29

I use a Specialized Romin saddle (when I bought it there was only one model as I recall but now there are several models). My LBS sat me down on a pad to determine the best width for me. It is ergonomically designed for men.
avanti
Member
 
Posts: 1,163
Joined: 11 May 2009 05:52
Location: At 1,585 m elevation

Re:

09 May 2017 05:45

avanti wrote:I use a Specialized Romin saddle (when I bought it there was only one model as I recall but now there are several models). My LBS sat me down on a pad to determine the best width for me. It is ergonomically designed for men.


Thanks...I will check this saddle
aperezy
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 May 2017 13:37

Re: Re:

09 May 2017 08:20

aperezy wrote:
King Boonen wrote:I use ISM saddles on all my bikes. They take a little while to get used to but honestly it was the best thing I ever did. If you can find one to test for a couple of weeks I highly recommend it.



Thanks, do you recommend a specific model? I check online and there are many options. Cheers


That's a difficult question to answer because I started with their very first road saddle, it worked for me so I then took it to the shop, matched it with the one in the current range that looked the most similar and bought that for my other bikes. That means I didn't really try the range, just picked out the one I thought would work best.

I went for the PR 1.0 based on that. If I were buying without prior knowledge I'd want to try a few first though. Most shops that sell them can get a test saddle for you to have a go on. I would start with the Adamo Road model.


It helped me with both comfort and position on the bike, I now really struggle to ride a bike that doesn't have one on it.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,249
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

09 May 2017 15:07

Bustedknuckle wrote:
aperezy wrote:Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy


Fake news. If you've never had 'sleepy winky', use the saddle that is most comfy.

I use SMP, not because of my winky but because of a saddle sore..

Yep, the Sella SMP is what I use and can hardly sit on a bike without one. I have two for the two bikes that I ride all the time, in fact I have a couple of other bikes that I don't ride anymore specifically because they don't have SMP saddles on them.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,784
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

09 May 2017 15:34

Irondan wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
aperezy wrote:Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy


Fake news. If you've never had 'sleepy winky', use the saddle that is most comfy.

I use SMP, not because of my winky but because of a saddle sore..

Yep, the Sella SMP is what I use and can hardly sit on a bike without one. I have two for the two bikes that I ride all the time, in fact I have a couple of other bikes that I don't ride anymore specifically because they don't have SMP saddles on them.


Do you have a model that I can check? do you have a photo and model? thanks
aperezy
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 May 2017 13:37

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

09 May 2017 16:10

aperezy wrote:
Irondan wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
aperezy wrote:Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy


Fake news. If you've never had 'sleepy winky', use the saddle that is most comfy.

I use SMP, not because of my winky but because of a saddle sore..

Yep, the Sella SMP is what I use and can hardly sit on a bike without one. I have two for the two bikes that I ride all the time, in fact I have a couple of other bikes that I don't ride anymore specifically because they don't have SMP saddles on them.


Do you have a model that I can check? do you have a photo and model? thanks

I have the "Evolution" model.

An example and price can be found here on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selle-SMP-Evolution-Bicycle-Saddle-Seat-Red-Made-in-Italy-/391086831803
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,784
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

09 May 2017 16:11

Irondan wrote:
aperezy wrote:
Irondan wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
aperezy wrote:Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy


Thanks...do you do long rides? tours? Sorry for so many questions

Regards

Fake news. If you've never had 'sleepy winky', use the saddle that is most comfy.

I use SMP, not because of my winky but because of a saddle sore..

Yep, the Sella SMP is what I use and can hardly sit on a bike without one. I have two for the two bikes that I ride all the time, in fact I have a couple of other bikes that I don't ride anymore specifically because they don't have SMP saddles on them.


Do you have a model that I can check? do you have a photo and model? thanks

I have the "Evolution" model.

An example and price can be found here on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selle-SMP-Evolution-Bicycle-Saddle-Seat-Red-Made-in-Italy-/391086831803
aperezy
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 6
Joined: 07 May 2017 13:37

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

10 May 2017 01:55

Irondan wrote:
aperezy wrote:
Irondan wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
aperezy wrote:Hello

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.

Cheers
Aperezy


Fake news. If you've never had 'sleepy winky', use the saddle that is most comfy.

I use SMP, not because of my winky but because of a saddle sore..

Yep, the Sella SMP is what I use and can hardly sit on a bike without one. I have two for the two bikes that I ride all the time, in fact I have a couple of other bikes that I don't ride anymore specifically because they don't have SMP saddles on them.


Do you have a model that I can check? do you have a photo and model? thanks

I have the "Evolution" model.

An example and price can be found here on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selle-SMP-Evolution-Bicycle-Saddle-Seat-Red-Made-in-Italy-/391086831803

I've used the 'Dynamic' for several years now, but that's because I'm a skinny prick who weighs 68kg wringing wet :D
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,325
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

10 Jun 2017 13:01

I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.



Tried the 'Pro(too wide), tried the Dynamic..too much of a 'hammock' feel..use the Glider..less 'hammock' and fits me ****.

Lots of SMP test ride shops around..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,087
Joined: 23 Jul 2009 15:38
Location: USofA

27 Jun 2017 03:53

If you never had an issue with your old saddle why not simply buy a new saddle of the old one?

Some people have recommended Brooks and those are very sweet saddles for comfort especially the B17 for touring because it's designed for a more upright touring riding position; another option is the Terry Fly which is another commonly used touring saddle.

If you decide to go with the Brooks there are specific ways that saddle needs to be treated you can ruin it rather quickly. First off, don't listen to anyone on how to care for it or break it in, because there some dim wits out there who act like they know what their talking about but when it comes to leather saddles they don't have clue. So does that mean that I'm the foremost knowledgeable person on that subject? NO! But I can tell you who is...Brooks is! Yes that's right the manufacture that makes Brooks saddles has been making them for over 100 years does have a clue on how to take care of them, so if you want your warranty to remain intact and you want your saddle to last a long time then do what they say and not what someone else says because if you try to speed up the break in process by soaking the saddle in oil or water or some other such goofiness your warranty will be voided and for good reason. The only three things I do differently from the instructions, but mine's out of warranty so it really doesn't matter, is number one, I don't turn the spanner nut as much as they recommend, I only turn it a 1/8 to 1/4th a turn about once every 2 to 3 years not every 6 months, but the weight of the rider does play into the frequency issue. Number 3 I don't use Proofide much only once a year, in fact I didn't use it at all during break in because I wanted it to break in slower for a better fit, like shoes. And number 3 I use neutral colored Kiwi shoe paste wax on my saddle because it seems to repel water better than anything else I've found. None of those 3 items will void the warranty anyways, but using any oil based products, or water based products will void the warranty. Those Brooks saddles are to be a hammack for your butt, it's not a glove or a shoe, thus it has to support your weight, if you oil it the saddle will soften too much, which can happen if you overuse Proofide too, and then you will have to keep tightening your spanner and eventually it will run out of space to tighten any more, or it can rip the rivets out of the seat.
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

12 Aug 2017 06:04

Bustedknuckle wrote:
I am a tour cyclist and recently I have read about health issues if you put to much pressure in your perineal area during long rides. Besides minor soreness I have never had any major problem with the actual saddle I used (Oval Concepts X38). Are there any saddle recommendations for long tours? I also ride about 8 hours a week when off tours.



Tried the 'Pro(too wide), tried the Dynamic..too much of a 'hammock' feel..use the Glider..less 'hammock' and fits me ****.

Lots of SMP test ride shops around..


Second the Sella SMPs. I use both the dynamic and Lite 209. Bike fitter put me on one and I've never looked back.
richwagmn
Member
 
Posts: 1,923
Joined: 18 Jun 2009 03:10
Location: Minnesota

Re: Touring saddle recommendations

12 Aug 2017 19:34

[quote="[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2105721#p2105721]

............. Besides minor soreness[b] ...................

I use SMP, not because of my winky but because of a saddle sore..[/quote]

I was getting soreness regardless of saddle/short combinations, but then I started using chamois butter and no more soreness.
avanti
Member
 
Posts: 1,163
Joined: 11 May 2009 05:52
Location: At 1,585 m elevation

16 Aug 2017 14:54

If you're a long distance cycle tourist, you should look at a Brooks Leather saddle....the B17 gets many appreciative votes and I can add one of those to the mix.

Leather saddles with copper rivets are an excellent choice, once broken in and well loook after (proof ride) they will last a very long time and should be super comfortable once you "break themin"..... for me, this was a bit of a myth and the saddle was good to go right out of the box!
I'm 4 months into a cycle touring trip on my B17 with no complaints.....it was my commuter saddle for 18 months before this trip.

I've dropped the bike a couple of times and the saddle has taken the brunt of the impact....no drama at all.....try doing that with a more modern styled saddle where the guts will start spewing out of the saddle and it becomes next to useless.
User avatar JackRabbitSlims
Member
 
Posts: 1,474
Joined: 10 Jan 2010 01:06
Location: On The Road.

Re:

18 Aug 2017 13:50

froze wrote:If you never had an issue with your old saddle why not simply buy a new saddle of the old one?

Some people have recommended Brooks and those are very sweet saddles for comfort especially the B17 for touring because it's designed for a more upright touring riding position; another option is the Terry Fly which is another commonly used touring saddle.

If you decide to go with the Brooks there are specific ways that saddle needs to be treated you can ruin it rather quickly. First off, don't listen to anyone on how to care for it or break it in, because there some dim wits out there who act like they know what their talking about but when it comes to leather saddles they don't have clue. So does that mean that I'm the foremost knowledgeable person on that subject? NO! But I can tell you who is...Brooks is! Yes that's right the manufacture that makes Brooks saddles has been making them for over 100 years does have a clue on how to take care of them, so if you want your warranty to remain intact and you want your saddle to last a long time then do what they say and not what someone else says because if you try to speed up the break in process by soaking the saddle in oil or water or some other such goofiness your warranty will be voided and for good reason. The only three things I do differently from the instructions, but mine's out of warranty so it really doesn't matter, is number one, I don't turn the spanner nut as much as they recommend, I only turn it a 1/8 to 1/4th a turn about once every 2 to 3 years not every 6 months, but the weight of the rider does play into the frequency issue. Number 3 I don't use Proofide much only once a year, in fact I didn't use it at all during break in because I wanted it to break in slower for a better fit, like shoes. And number 3 I use neutral colored Kiwi shoe paste wax on my saddle because it seems to repel water better than anything else I've found. None of those 3 items will void the warranty anyways, but using any oil based products, or water based products will void the warranty. Those Brooks saddles are to be a hammock for your butt, it's not a glove or a shoe, thus it has to support your weight, if you oil it the saddle will soften too much, which can happen if you overuse Proofide too, and then you will have to keep tightening your spanner and eventually it will run out of space to tighten any more, or it can rip the rivets out of the seat.


Wow, sounds like way more hassle than I'd ever be bothered with. You can really run out of adjustment? Rip the rivets out? Leather saddles always seem counter-intuitive to me for long-distance touring. Why would you want something on a long distance tour that you can't get wet? (OK, I exaggerate - but something that would prefer to not get wet for best performance?)
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 1,011
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

Back to top