Register

Mavic Tires

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Mavic Tires

26 Jul 2017 14:37

According to this article, T. Phinney used Mavic clincher tires on his TDF TT bike
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/taylor-phinneys-cannondale-slice-with-double-duty-mavic-wheels-gallery/

In a previous article on this site it was stated the tires were tubeless.

I could not find such a tire on the Mavic site.

Is the more information available?

Also what is your experience with Mavic tires?
avanti

26 Jul 2017 16:02

It's an Yksion Pro Powerlink C I think:

https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/yksion-pro-powerlink-c-d7109.html#1028=3390&1035=3501

No idea if they are tubeless though I'm afraid.

Some Mavic's came with my second hand fixed wheelset. They seemed pretty good but I went back to Conti GPs (standard ones, not the 4000s) which are pretty much my go to tyre for year round riding.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

27 Jul 2017 03:00

Thanks KB. Your post led me to this site that has a tubeless tire. Seems sealant is required but still lighter than a tube. I will investigate tubeless at a later date, but will pass this on to a triathlete friend,
https://shop.mavic.com/en-gb/yksion-pro-ust-c6967.html#1028=3395
avanti

25 Feb 2018 04:04

I'm posting this here because I have a dual problem.. I have been using two wheel sets ,one w the Mavic hospitality tires 23's that came with the bike.. they were ok , light and lasted for decent milage..my other wheels had Continental Gatorskin Hardshell 23's.. both sets of tires are toast.. I have two questions.. is there anything else besides the Gatorskins that is decent against punctures and doesn't feel dead?
Second is there benefit going to a 25? I have read about rolling resistance, but I am most interested in having as few flats as possible..
A pair looks to be@90-100 dollars.. that is about the most I like to spend on non- racing tires.. thanks for any feedback.. I ride mostly on dry roads ..
Unchained

25 Feb 2018 21:48

I prefer the grand prix 4000 by far to the gatorskins.
aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

01 Mar 2018 14:50

Unchained wrote:I'm posting this here because I have a dual problem.. I have been using two wheel sets ,one w the Mavic hospitality tires 23's that came with the bike.. they were ok , light and lasted for decent milage..my other wheels had Continental Gatorskin Hardshell 23's.. both sets of tires are toast.. I have two questions.. is there anything else besides the Gatorskins that is decent against punctures and doesn't feel dead?
Second is there benefit going to a 25? I have read about rolling resistance, but I am most interested in having as few flats as possible..
A pair looks to be@90-100 dollars.. that is about the most I like to spend on non- racing tires.. thanks for any feedback.. I ride mostly on dry roads ..

Yes. Tubeless. End of. You'll still get punctures but you won't need to stop and fix them. Schwalbe One Pro are about the best. Hutchinson Sectors are very tough and roll fairly well. I've not used Gators for a decade. Dreadful in wet and ice.

Second question: wider tyres permit lower pressures and more cushioning. It is pretty much accepted that you'll go faster if you can roll smoothly over rough surfaces. Factor in tubeless and you won't get pinch flats so in sloppy conditions you can take the pressure down and get more traction.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle

Re:

10 Mar 2018 13:20

Unchained wrote:I'm posting this here because I have a dual problem.. I have been using two wheel sets ,one w the Mavic hospitality tires 23's that came with the bike.. they were ok , light and lasted for decent milage..my other wheels had Continental Gatorskin Hardshell 23's.. both sets of tires are toast.. I have two questions.. is there anything else besides the Gatorskins that is decent against punctures and doesn't feel dead?

First I'd certainly use 25(or 28mm if they fit)...and then use less air for a more comfy ride.
Conti GP 4 season are a good alternative for a 'racy' feeling tire with decent flat protection.

A gent above recommends tubeless..DON'T use a tubeless tire on a non tubeless rim tho...asking for a tire to come off while riding it.
User avatar Bustedknuckle

Return to General