Log in:  

Register

Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

07 Sep 2017 16:44

Hi everybody,

we are currently working on a new cleaning product for our bikes and we are curious who else is the type of guy who cleans his bike regularly. So I just wanted to ask you guys if you could help me with that and spend 3-5 minutes answering a few questions for us. If you don't want to take part I can also ask you right here. Everything is completely anonymous and we are not looking for any personal information or contact details. So if anyone wants to support me please go to

https://docs.google.com/forms/u/1/d/1yA3okCwPtJXGTnzzdveAO1Z3qiSuQU4bedFQ0QGrjhA/edit?usp=drive_web

Thanks guys! And if you have any questions just let me know
ilovemtbks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Sep 2017 16:39

07 Sep 2017 17:02

I took the survey and found it wasn't too intrusive, although asking for email addresses contradicts the OP when they claim that it's anonymous.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,995
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re:

07 Sep 2017 17:06

Irondan wrote:I took the survey and found it wasn't too intrusive, although asking for email addresses contradicts the OP when they claim that it's anonymous.



I asked my friends to delete the email part I'm so sorry for that. If you don't want to provide your email address you really don't have to take part. I'm very sorry for that and thanks so much for this feedback!
ilovemtbks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Sep 2017 16:39

Re:

07 Sep 2017 17:08

Irondan wrote:I took the survey and found it wasn't too intrusive, although asking for email addresses contradicts the OP when they claim that it's anonymous.


I'm so sorry, I asked my friends to delete this please don't take part if you Dn't want to provide your email address I totally understand this. Thanks for this feedback!
ilovemtbks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Sep 2017 16:39

Re:

07 Sep 2017 17:24

Irondan wrote:I took the survey and found it wasn't too intrusive, although asking for email addresses contradicts the OP when they claim that it's anonymous.


I doublechecked and you're not required to provide your email address fyi
ilovemtbks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Sep 2017 16:39

Re: Re:

07 Sep 2017 17:53

ilovemtbks wrote:
Irondan wrote:I took the survey and found it wasn't too intrusive, although asking for email addresses contradicts the OP when they claim that it's anonymous.


I doublechecked and you're not required to provide your email address fyi

No, you're not required to "provide" your email address to submit the survey, but you're asked twice for it at the end of the survey, after you already spent the time taking it while thinking this isn't an exercise in email collection to go with data collection.

It was misrepresented in the OP, if you can't see my point of view there's nothing I can do about it but asking for email addresses is not a "completely anonymous" survey.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,995
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

07 Sep 2017 18:03

Irondan wrote:
ilovemtbks wrote:
Irondan wrote:I took the survey and found it wasn't too intrusive, although asking for email addresses contradicts the OP when they claim that it's anonymous.


I doublechecked and you're not required to provide your email address fyi

No, you're not required to "provide" your email address to submit the survey, but you're asked twice for it at the end of the survey, after you already spent the time taking it while thinking this isn't an exercise in email collection to go with data collection.

It was misrepresented in the OP, if you can't see my point of view there's nothing I can do about it but asking for email addresses is not a "completely anonymous" survey.


I'm sorry for that I should have mention that but as you are not required to fill in your mail address and because you're not asked to provide your name or any other personal information you can take part anonymously. But thanks for this feedback I never posted in a forum before so this is very helpful for me to avoid mistakes like this in the future.
ilovemtbks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Sep 2017 16:39

07 Sep 2017 18:05

I clean my bikes with baby wipes . Very simple .
Lv426
New Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 15:51

Re:

07 Sep 2017 18:33

Lv426 wrote:I clean my bikes with baby wipes . Very simple .


That's really interesting thanks for this comment!
ilovemtbks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Sep 2017 16:39

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

07 Sep 2017 20:41

-Baby wipes are for your taint.

-Soap and water is for your bike.

-"Bike cleaners" which are usually bought in bulk then re-bottled, rebranded, then backed by some silly story about a 'special formula just for bikes' or some such are for people who don't know any better.

English language fail by question 4. I don't speak Kangaroo. "Pushbike"?...C'mon already. :rolleyes:
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 687
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

07 Sep 2017 20:55

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:-Baby wipes are for your taint.

-Soap and water is for your bike.

-"Bike cleaners" which are usually bought in bulk then re-bottled, rebranded, then backed by some silly story about a 'special formula just for bikes' or some such are for people who don't know any better.

English language fail by question 4. I don't speak Kangaroo. "Pushbike"?...C'mon already. :rolleyes:


great thanks! hahaha yeah I already told my friends that pushbike is a fail :D
ilovemtbks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 07 Sep 2017 16:39

08 Sep 2017 11:11

Wipe your frame with baby wipes. Wipe your wheels with baby wipes. No chance of any water getting anywhere . It works just fine.
Take your rear wheel off and wipe your cassette , you can pull the baby wipes between cogs easy . It cleans very well and no mess.
If you use a Y ban chain and carbon chainrings ( I do) you don't even need to use any lube , the ybans are self lubing. So you just wipe the chain with a couple of baby wipes . It takes very little time you have no danger of getting water into hubs etc and your bike looks pristine. If you have a carbon frame or parts use some aero 303 and this will give nice protection, uva etc. I have being doing this for years and both my bikes are spotless. I never ride a dirty bike . My cassette is always spotless.
I think for myself and do what works and this works real well.
Lv426
New Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 15:51

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

08 Sep 2017 23:37

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:-Baby wipes are for your taint.

-Soap and water is for your bike.

-"Bike cleaners" which are usually bought in bulk then re-bottled, rebranded, then backed by some silly story about a 'special formula just for bikes' or some such are for people who don't know any better.

English language fail by question 4. I don't speak Kangaroo. "Pushbike"?...C'mon already. :rolleyes:

Pushbike is actually a fairly common term here in Aus by people who don't ride.

Agree on the baby wipes, they can scratch up the paint on your frame over time by picking up the dirt and dragging it. I only use them for wiping cassettes and hands.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,392
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

09 Sep 2017 17:54

42x16ss wrote:
Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:-Baby wipes are for your taint.

-Soap and water is for your bike.

-"Bike cleaners" which are usually bought in bulk then re-bottled, rebranded, then backed by some silly story about a 'special formula just for bikes' or some such are for people who don't know any better.

English language fail by question 4. I don't speak Kangaroo. "Pushbike"?...C'mon already. :rolleyes:

Pushbike is actually a fairly common term here in Aus by people who don't ride.

Agree on the baby wipes, they can scratch up the paint on your frame over time by picking up the dirt and dragging it. I only use them for wiping cassettes and hands.


Exactly!... In Australia. My point was that the vast majority of the english speaking world doesn't use that term. Which leads me to believe that this 'survey' was made for a school project.

I don't agree with wet wipes at all, not really even for babies. The environmental impact of this garbage is pretty ridiculous. Being lazy comes at a price I'm not willing to pay.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 687
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

09 Sep 2017 19:39

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:-Baby wipes are for your taint.

-Soap and water is for your bike.

-"Bike cleaners" which are usually bought in bulk then re-bottled, rebranded, then backed by some silly story about a 'special formula just for bikes' or some such are for people who don't know any better.

English language fail by question 4. I don't speak Kangaroo. "Pushbike"?...C'mon already. :rolleyes:

Pushbike is actually a fairly common term here in Aus by people who don't ride.

Agree on the baby wipes, they can scratch up the paint on your frame over time by picking up the dirt and dragging it. I only use them for wiping cassettes and hands.


Exactly!... In Australia. My point was that the vast majority of the english speaking world doesn't use that term. Which leads me to believe that this 'survey' was made for a school project.

I don't agree with wet wipes at all, not really even for babies. The environmental impact of this garbage is pretty ridiculous. Being lazy comes at a price I'm not willing to pay.



On my bikes the grease I use is white lightening which is environmentally friendly. The wipes I use are environmentally friendly. My bikes don't have paint ,Many thanks
Lv426
New Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 15:51

Re:

09 Sep 2017 19:59

Lv426 wrote:Wipe your frame with baby wipes. Wipe your wheels with baby wipes. No chance of any water getting anywhere . It works just fine.
Take your rear wheel off and wipe your cassette , you can pull the baby wipes between cogs easy . It cleans very well and no mess.
If you use a Y ban chain and carbon chainrings ( I do) you don't even need to use any lube , the ybans are self lubing. So you just wipe the chain with a couple of baby wipes . It takes very little time you have no danger of getting water into hubs etc and your bike looks pristine. If you have a carbon frame or parts use some aero 303 and this will give nice protection, uva etc. I have being doing this for years and both my bikes are spotless. I never ride a dirty bike . My cassette is always spotless.
I think for myself and do what works and this works real well.


This fella does exactly the same:

viewtopic.php?p=1805572#p1805572
User avatar Vino's Mum
Member
 
Posts: 718
Joined: 17 Sep 2012 09:45
Location: Glorious city of Astana

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

09 Sep 2017 20:32

Lv426 wrote:
On my bikes the grease I use is white lightening which is environmentally friendly. The wipes I use are environmentally friendly. My bikes don't have paint ,Many thanks


"Environmentally friendly" is marketing schtick for people who believe the hype, especially so for major market consumer goods like wet wipes. Yes indeed there are good lubes and degreasers for us cyclists, but not these wipes. Even the so called 'biodegradable' or 'compostable' labeled ones do not live up to that hype. These disgusting things are considered one of the top polluters because they don't break down very well or even completely. The oceans are full of them.

I believe you have good intentions, but are pretty lazy if you convinced yourself that it's ok to throw something solid away every time you do something so simple like washing a bike. A bucket of soap and water and a reusable natural chamois or an old t-shirt is too difficult to manage in today's convenient instant gratification society... I get it. But I absolutely don't agree with it.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 687
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

09 Sep 2017 22:21

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:
Lv426 wrote:
On my bikes the grease I use is white lightening which is environmentally friendly. The wipes I use are environmentally friendly. My bikes don't have paint ,Many thanks


"Environmentally friendly" is marketing schtick for people who believe the hype, especially so for major market consumer goods like wet wipes. Yes indeed there are good lubes and degreasers for us cyclists, but not these wipes. Even the so called 'biodegradable' or 'compostable' labeled ones do not live up to that hype. These disgusting things are considered one of the top polluters because they don't break down very well or even completely. The oceans are full of them.

I believe you have good intentions, but are pretty lazy if you convinced yourself that it's ok to throw something solid away every time you do something so simple like washing a bike. A bucket of soap and water and a reusable natural chamois or an old t-shirt is too difficult to manage in today's convenient instant gratification society... I get it. But I absolutely don't agree with it.



I use bum bossa baby wipes . 100p percent bio degradable made from bamboo and the company also plant trees etc ..very environmentally friendly . Do a google then you can apologise

Also someone using a product that may not be the best for our environment does not mean they are lazy. It's not always easy for people to be "perfect" I really hate this elitist attitude. If I was you instead of worrying about some mum who uses baby wipes start complaining to the governments etc who spend trillions on destroying our planet with endless wars that have no end and oil companies etc polluting the sh£t out of our planet. They could spend taken a tiny amount of that money and give free healthcare and free education to all . But they don't . The US military budget this year is , this year is 597 billion dollars . Last year it was 596 billion . So if some mum uses a baby wipe that's going to do funk all in the scheme of things . Also I recommend you check out the NASA scientists who resigned because NASA altered the data concerning weather . You could also check out Judith curry one of the worlds leading meteorological experts talking at the us senete. Also look into climate gate and also the petition signed by over 30.000 meteorologists who use proof not false data or predictions to show the truth about our weather and how the funding is only given to those whom fall in line with the current policys on climate change.
Lv426
New Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: 20 Aug 2017 15:51

09 Sep 2017 23:05

Apologize for..... ? because you haven't figured out how to use the water from your faucet. When you drop out of orbit into reality and not try and make this political you just might see how ridiculous you made cleaning a bike.

Just curious. What is your annual consumption of those in packages/dollars terms?
Last edited by Giuseppe Magnetico on 10 Sep 2017 04:02, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 687
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: Bike cleaning - Can you help us?

10 Sep 2017 02:51

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:-........................
English language fail by question 4. I don't speak Kangaroo. "Pushbike"?...C'mon already. :rolleyes:


Pushbike was a common term in the UK in the 1950s; however it was usually referring to "sit-up-and-beg" commuter bikes (enclosed chain case, rod brakes, mudguards, multi speed hub)
avanti
Member
 
Posts: 1,168
Joined: 11 May 2009 05:52
Location: At 1,585 m elevation

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top