Log in:  

Register

The ultimate saddle bag

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

The ultimate saddle bag

13 Dec 2017 05:29

Several close friends and I have been working on a bicycle saddle bag prototype and would like to get some inputs and feedbacks from fellow cyclists here. We want to make sure we are on the right path to help address the issues that current saddle bags have.

As avid cyclists ourselves, we often time have our dilemmas when it comes to saddle bag. Practical or aesthetic? Size or storage? At one hand we want the saddle bag practicality of carrying around the essentials items like spare tubes and multitools during our rides. On the other hand we want to keep the clean aesthetic of our bike. In the case where the practical sense won the first dilemma, we typically still need to trade off between storage space or utterly bulky saddle bag. Even the ones least concern with aesthetic would shake their heads staring at the brick like saddle bag hanging below the bicycle saddle. Majority of the saddle bags in the market today are boxy and black, which doesn’t help to promote the saddle bag’s stylish or aesthetic aspect.

What do you guys look for when choosing a saddle bag? What is in your wish list of the ultimate saddle bag? If you are not a saddle bag user today, what is holding you back and what will make you switch camp?

Would you be interested if there is a saddle bag that can do the following?
1. Compact enough to carry most of your essential items. Think 2 spare tubes, 2 tire levers, 2 CO2 canisters, Multitools with chain tool, patch kit, all these in a compact form factor.
2. Stylish enough to not ruin your bike aesthetic, this can be quite subjective and personal but assume it meets your styling requirement.
3. Quick attach and release. Much faster than dealing with Velcro.
4. Abundant styling/color choices.

We love to hear your inputs and hopefully we will be able to create something that all the cyclists want to use. Thanks!
survivor
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Oct 2017 21:02

13 Dec 2017 17:10

You must have a massive R&D budget if it takes "several" people to design a saddle bag. :lol:
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 717
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re:

13 Dec 2017 17:22

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:You must have a massive R&D budget if it takes "several" people to design a saddle bag. :lol:


We are just a few close friends who enjoy cycling but can't find a saddle bag on the market today that meets all of our expectation. Our R&D budget is a few cups of coffee and donuts every time we meet :lol:
survivor
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Oct 2017 21:02

Re: The ultimate saddle bag

13 Dec 2017 19:09

It really should only take one person for something so simple as a saddle bag. Even the largest bike bag manufacturers only have one or two designers handling the entire line. Bikes, coffee, and donuts... Well, at least you fit the stereotype.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 717
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

13 Dec 2017 20:46

Mate makes saddle rolls. Job done.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,034
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: The ultimate saddle bag

14 Dec 2017 01:44

King Boonen, do you have any clue as to why this forum is turning into the amateur survey/questionnaire dump?
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 717
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

14 Dec 2017 03:32

King Boonen, thanks for your input. We definitely look at the benefits of a saddle roll and see how it can be incorporated into our design. Maybe there is a solution better than a saddle roll?
survivor
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Oct 2017 21:02

Re: The ultimate saddle bag

14 Dec 2017 15:22

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:King Boonen, do you have any clue as to why this forum is turning into the amateur survey/questionnaire dump?

It's not, believe me.

I personally screen any and all surveys/questionnaires and can safely say that I turn away almost all of them. Probably 99% of all the attempted surveys and questionnaires never see the light of day in these forums and the ones that do are there because they're harmless.

You have no idea how much crap is stopped from being posted here by the diligence of our forum moderators and partially from spam filters. It's ridiculous the effort that spammers go through to try and get a comment posted here.

For the very few surveys that make it through the screening process, it's okay if you don't respond to them.

Cheers
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,536
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: The ultimate saddle bag

15 Dec 2017 03:08

Irondan wrote:....You have no idea how much crap is stopped from being posted here by the diligence of our forum moderators and partially from spam filters. It's ridiculous the effort that spammers go through to try and get a comment posted here.


I have a very good idea. Remember, I used to work here. Can't imagine it's any slower.

For the very few surveys that make it through the screening process, it's okay if you don't respond to them.
Nice little swipe there, touché.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico
Member
 
Posts: 717
Joined: 08 Apr 2012 17:17
Location: Wherever my horse decides to park the vardo

Re: The ultimate saddle bag

02 Jan 2018 10:59

survivor wrote:Would you be interested if there is a saddle bag that can do the following?
1. Compact enough to carry most of your essential items. Think 2 spare tubes, 2 tire levers, 2 CO2 canisters, Multitools with chain tool, patch kit, all these in a compact form factor.
2. Stylish enough to not ruin your bike aesthetic, this can be quite subjective and personal but assume it meets your styling requirement.
3. Quick attach and release. Much faster than dealing with Velcro.
4. Abundant styling/color choices.

We love to hear your inputs and hopefully we will be able to create something that all the cyclists want to use. Thanks!

1) too big, single tube, compact patch kit, small multi tool and plastic banknote which doubles as emergency tyre boot are enough. CO2 is for suckers, just use a small pump. I don't need tyre levers to change a tyre.
2) if people are sad enough to by looking at my saddle bag, I'll happily offend them with cheap black boxiness.
3) no thanks, Velcro is fast and light and works great. Clip systems are universally heavier, less secure, leave your bag jiggling around and it's contents rattling because they aren't compressed.
4)black box with a 20mm reflective strip running all the way round. Job done.
dsut4392
Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: 10 Jun 2009 12:26

Re: The ultimate saddle bag

02 Jan 2018 19:19

dsut4392 wrote:1) too big, single tube, compact patch kit, small multi tool and plastic banknote which doubles as emergency tyre boot are enough. CO2 is for suckers, just use a small pump. I don't need tyre levers to change a tyre.
2) if people are sad enough to by looking at my saddle bag, I'll happily offend them with cheap black boxiness.
3) no thanks, Velcro is fast and light and works great. Clip systems are universally heavier, less secure, leave your bag jiggling around and it's contents rattling because they aren't compressed.
4)black box with a 20mm reflective strip running all the way round. Job done.


Thank you for your inputs.

Judging the need for storage space among the vast majority of cyclists is a delicate process. Frankly everyone's storage need is different. We are trying to strike a balance that meets majority needs.

Styling is again another personal thing. There is no right or wrong. As long as you like it then it is the style for you. We are just trying to provide more styling options. The choice is ultimately still yours.
survivor
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 20 Oct 2017 21:02

04 May 2018 01:28

I carry all the stuff you mentioned and more in my Topeak Aero Wedge large and a medium bags, and I also like the much cheaper BV expandable large bag too; both of those are made very well and lasts a long time; I don't happen to think any of them as being ugly. I carry more stuff than most people but that's because I don't rely on a cell phone to call my "mommy" when things go wrong, and I also like riding out in rural areas far from home so walking home would be quite a chore, so I carry stuff that can fix most things that go can go wrong. If you've had a Topeak Aero Wedge bag before then you'll like the BV because it's made of the same material but it cost less then the Topeak. The BV large bag is about the size of the Topeak medium Aero Wedge bag; the Topeak Aero Wedge large is a great bag if you ride far distances in a day and need a place to store a small amount of food with your repair stuff. But the BV bag is the better deal.
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 101
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Back to top