Register

Profile Design Aerobars - Carbon vs Aluminum (weight?)

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Profile Design Aerobars - Carbon vs Aluminum (weight?)

12 Feb 2018 12:04

Unless I'm missing something, the Aluminum versions appear to weigh less than the Carbon (or at least the same). So why should I pay 50% more for the Carbon versions? Also - Anyone have any knowledge of the different hand/arm position options too?

Looking for primarily for shorter Tri's. Won't be doing mega-miles on them.
Son of Amsterhammer

12 Feb 2018 15:25

Steez. You'd need to look at the specs but taking the T2+ as an example get different "better" armrests, more adjustable stack height, longer extension so more reach adjustment (although different between the two) and supposedly a more ergonomic grip on the carbon ones. Unless you're a pro Ironman/TT rider looking to get an absolutely perfect position for longer rides I think the carbon ones are a complete waste of money to be honest, but there are a lot of dentists out there.

Flatter extensions allow a slightly more aggressive position compared to up-turned ones at a cost of comfort I believe but it's not something I've tested myself.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

01 Apr 2018 12:40

King Boonen wrote:Steez. You'd need to look at the specs but taking the T2+ as an example get different "better" armrests, more adjustable stack height, longer extension so more reach adjustment (although different between the two) and supposedly a more ergonomic grip on the carbon ones. Unless you're a pro Ironman/TT rider looking to get an absolutely perfect position for longer rides I think the carbon ones are a complete waste of money to be honest, but there are a lot of dentists out there.

Flatter extensions allow a slightly more aggressive position compared to up-turned ones at a cost of comfort I believe but it's not something I've tested myself.

May I just add ... if you don’t use a fast forward seat post with the clip ons ... or your current seat post isn’t reversible ... it’s going to be very difficult to get the aero position you want ... while retaining power, IMHO.
Alpe73

Return to General