Register

::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~::::

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Moderator: Pricey_sky

Which wheels?

09 Aug 2013 04:22

I posted this in general but I think it should be here.

This has probably been done before!!
I am setting up a new bike, Dean Ultralite sloping frame, campag super record & I need a set of wheels. I have had great service for the last 9 yrs from a pair of campag neutrons. They are about 1450g, not super light but like I said they appear to be bombproof, i.e. I have no qualms about jumping kerbs, riding off kerbs etc & they are still as straight as the day I bought them.
Is there a wheel as tough but just a bit lighter??? I am leaning towards the campag shamal what does anyone think or know about them.

I have built a back wheel before & it is still ok, I wonder if I could build a wheel that is as strong and lighter than a campag neutron or shamal at a reasonable cost???
User avatar Dermie

09 Aug 2013 12:59

Dermie wrote:I posted this in general but I think it should be here.

This has probably been done before!!
I am setting up a new bike, Dean Ultralite sloping frame, campag super record & I need a set of wheels. I have had great service for the last 9 yrs from a pair of campag neutrons. They are about 1450g, not super light but like I said they appear to be bombproof, i.e. I have no qualms about jumping kerbs, riding off kerbs etc & they are still as straight as the day I bought them.
Is there a wheel as tough but just a bit lighter??? I am leaning towards the campag shamal what does anyone think or know about them.

I have built a back wheel before & it is still ok, I wonder if I could build a wheel that is as strong and lighter than a campag neutron or shamal at a reasonable cost???

If you want to make that leap to lighter, really lighter but still reliable it means

-carbon
-tubular

Enve, Reynolds based around DT hubs..many used...

besides, clinchers are for nancys.
User avatar Bustedknuckle

10 Aug 2013 08:34

Yes I almost would, but braking, and braking in the wet, braking on long descents.
My new frame (Dean superlite) will be set up with disc tabs on the rear so that when Campag get a set of disc gear/brake levers I will be going full hydraulic disc (with a new disc compatible fork aswell).
I think thats may be 2 - 3 yrs away & then lighter wheels may come by way of the route you are suggesting (but tubeless maybe) & with out the need for thicker walls for braking.
User avatar Dermie

11 Aug 2013 17:46

Dermie wrote:Yes I almost would, but braking, and braking in the wet, braking on long descents.
My new frame (Dean superlite) will be set up with disc tabs on the rear so that when Campag get a set of disc gear/brake levers I will be going full hydraulic disc (with a new disc compatible fork aswell).
I think thats may be 2 - 3 yrs away & then lighter wheels may come by way of the route you are suggesting (but tubeless maybe) & with out the need for thicker walls for braking.

There's not much weight savings minus a reinforced brake wall, even if you shave off the extra material from an aluminum rim you're only going to get about 12g, even less from carbon. While I do agree with bustedknuckle that tubulars are the best and lightest race set up, they're just not a reality for most, and counting grams to this level is a waste of time and money for the average rider.
User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico

11 Aug 2013 22:38

Bustedknuckle wrote:If you want to make that leap to lighter, really lighter but still reliable it means

-carbon
-tubular

Enve, Reynolds based around DT hubs..many used...

besides, clinchers are for nancys.

You are right about all of that but tubs are just too inconvenient for day to day use, and at 61 I will go with the clincher and Nancy tag, probably just an Old nancy boy.
User avatar Dermie

12 Aug 2013 12:20

Dermie wrote:You are right about all of that but tubs are just too inconvenient for day to day use, and at 61 I will go with the clincher and Nancy tag, probably just an Old nancy boy.

I'm 62 and I use tubulars everyday...

12 Aug 2013 23:59

Earlier this year I was surprised to run into a long time customer at NAHBS, he handed off this stunning purple King R45 hubset and basically gave me free reign to do whatever with them. The end result.....
Yeah Bustedknuckle, pics work.

13 Aug 2013 08:56

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:Earlier this year I was surprised to run into a long time customer at NAHBS, he handed off this stunning purple King R45 hubset and basically gave me free reign to do whatever with them. The end result.....

How to ride like a Tour champion!

proof noun (SHOWING TRUTH)

B2 [C or U] a fact or piece of information that shows that something exists or is true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...ritish/proof_1

evidence noun [U] uk /ˈev.ɪ.dəns/ us

B2 one or more reasons for believing that something is or is not true

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...itish/evidence
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

13 Aug 2013 12:25

Bustedknuckle wrote:I'm 62 and I use tubulars everyday...

Good on you, but not my cup of tea any more!!
User avatar Dermie

13 Aug 2013 12:59

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:Earlier this year I was surprised to run into a long time customer at NAHBS, he handed off this stunning purple King R45 hubset and basically gave me free reign to do whatever with them. The end result.....

They work but not for me..at the bottom of the page, I see

"You may not post attachments"...when I post a response(?)

???

13 Aug 2013 14:51

Bustedknuckle wrote:They work but not for me..at the bottom of the page, I see

"You may not post attachments"...when I post a response(?)

???

Hmmm, I remember way back when you had this problem and it was resolved fairly quick. What photo album are you using again?

14 Aug 2013 12:52

Giuseppe Magnetico wrote:Hmmm, I remember way back when you had this problem and it was resolved fairly quick. What photo album are you using again?

Not, just finding a pic, saving it on my desk top and trying to attach to a post.

14 Aug 2013 16:33

Bustedknuckle wrote:Not, just finding a pic, saving it on my desk top and trying to attach to a post.

Not how it's done. Have to use flickr or picasa and use their links, or a direct web addy of a photo.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=19650

24 Aug 2013 21:11

Bustedknuckle wrote:175 pounds, easy, use DT Revs or Sapim Laser front and non drive side rear. Use DT Comp or Sapim Race on drive side rear. Lace 3 cross thruout. Using brass Ployax or DT ProLock nipps a good idea.

So, I still haven't built these wheels yet! I've got this urge that I just can't budge to lace these 32h hubs as 'Classic tubs'. I know the 'tubs for racing (I don't any more), clinchers for training/leisure' mantra and I concur but I just can't get past the tubs build 'want'. There are only 2 choices for rims - Major Toms or Nemesis. My question is this - a few years back an old set of wheels laced to Mavic Reflex rims were 19mm wide fitted with 24c Pave's. After about 9 months of on/off riding, the rear tyre finally gave up the ghost, leaking caffe latex at the rim/tape boundary. I guessed that the tape rotted and got some grit in the material which finally resulted in a the tube perishing. So, given that I'll be fitting 25c Conti Competitions, will 23mm wide Toms or 21mm wide Nemesis be the better option for my purposes? 350/365 days of the year, I'm riding in a temperate maritime climate ie wet on typical chip and seal N European roads. Thanks in advance for your input. :)
LugHugger

25 Aug 2013 01:59

Dermie wrote:You are right about all of that but tubs are just too inconvenient for day to day use, and at 61 I will go with the clincher and Nancy tag, probably just an Old nancy boy.

Well nancey boys or girls I am going to try out a set of these http://www.curvecycling.com.au/ next week. They are a good price, a good weight and they are willing to let me have a set to try out best deal you can get. They sell direct from the builder, I will post here with a report in due time.
I obviously still have my old campag neutrons to swap with as a comparison so I will be able to try them on regular circuits one after the other, should be interesting........
User avatar Dermie

28 Aug 2013 14:38

What do people recommend in terms of hand built aero alu clinchers?

What about DT Swiss RR465 with CK hubs (or Tune??). Something ideally around 1500 grams or less....
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran

29 Aug 2013 12:51

Moose McKnuckles wrote:What do people recommend in terms of hand built aero alu clinchers?

What about DT Swiss RR465 with CK hubs (or Tune??). Something ideally around 1500 grams or less....

Well, 465 isn't very 'aero' and comes in 32h only(white in 28h)...

Velocity Deep V...18h front, 24 or 28h rear, aero-y spokes....gotta find some pretty light hubs(light front is pretty easy) to get around 1500 grams since the rims aren't light.

30 Aug 2013 12:26

Thanks BK.
User avatar Moose McKnuckles
Veteran

Survey

13 Oct 2014 20:36

We are a group of students from the University of New Hampshire conducting marketing research on cycling. Below is a link to our short survey. Your participation is voluntary and confidential, and greatly appreciated by our team.

https://unh.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7aJ2D5X5F8OSm33
fanlockr
Newly Registered Member

Re: ::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~::::

21 Sep 2016 02:34

Anyone have an idea of what make of rim has a vertical HN logo?
There is literally nothing on the rims except an H over an N, like this;
H
N
and it's only on a little 'plate' that sits around the valve hole...
User avatar Archibald

PreviousNext

Return to General