Register

::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~::::

Which tyres for Paris-Roubaix? Whose time trial bike is fastest? Suspension mountain bikes or singlespeeders? Talk equipment here.

Re: ::::~ Wheelbuilders thread ~::::

21 Sep 2016 02:59

Archibald wrote:Anyone have an idea of what make of rim has a vertical HN logo?
There is literally nothing on the rims except an H over an N, like this;
H
N
and it's only on a little 'plate' that sits around the valve hole...

H Plus Son TB14, great rim! I've built tons, and have a set on my daily commuter. Even built a few for disc brake set ups, because no silver brake track. Well, unless you go silver. They look so dang good with disc too because H+S anodize after machining the brake track.

From a wheel builders standpoint nothing builds as nice as double eyeletted rims, nothing! Another nice feature is their welded seam is almost invisible, even when looking closely in the stand. They don't use a sleeve at the joint so the balance is impeccable, no shimmy at speed. Very easy rim to build with. If you're good at finding even tension early these rims need almost no truing at the end.

http://hplusson.com/node/15

User avatar Giuseppe Magnetico

21 Sep 2016 08:17

I've got HPlusSon Archetypes on my fixed wheel with BLB King hubs (female axle). Can't recommend them highly enough. Thinking I'll get TB14s when I have some nice wheels built for the road bike.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

22 Sep 2016 03:52

MWC wrote:
H
N

H Plus Son TB14, great rim! I've built tons, and have a set on my daily commuter. Even built a few for disc brake set ups, because no silver brake track. Well, unless you go silver. They look so dang good with disc too because H+S anodize after machining the brake track.

From a wheel builders standpoint nothing builds as nice as double eyeletted rims, nothing! Another nice feature is their welded seam is almost invisible, even when looking closely in the stand. They don't use a sleeve at the joint so the balance is impeccable, no shimmy at speed. Very easy rim to build with. If you're good at finding even tension early these rims need almost no truing at the end.

that's them.
I have the black ones on 105 hubs - seem a little heavy, but they've been excellent on the commuter.
Picked the pair up for $100 from seller claiming only had 1,000kms on them, but later told me 5,000kms...
Minor re-tension on a couple of spokes to start, and have been brilliant for the 3,300kms I've done on them. Just starting to concave on the braking surface, so their days are numbered...

Dopey question time: Could I get away with just replacing the rims, or would new spokes be essential?
User avatar Archibald

22 Sep 2016 04:55

Archibald wrote:
MWC wrote:
H
N

that's them.
I have the black ones on 105 hubs - seem a little heavy, but they've been excellent on the commuter.
Picked the pair up for $100 from seller claiming only had 1,000kms on them, but later told me 5,000kms...
Minor re-tension on a couple of spokes to start, and have been brilliant for the 3,300kms I've done on them. Just starting to concave on the braking surface, so their days are numbered...

Dopey question time: Could I get away with just replacing the rims, or would new spokes be essential?

You could get away with it. I will reuse spokes in certain cases, not if the wheel had a history of broken spokes though. When spokes break that means either the build was bad, or the wheels were thrashed. Best to just start fresh for a rebuild. Spokes and nipples are cheap and the small investment is long term risk averse.

22 Sep 2016 05:10

MWC wrote:
Archibald wrote:
MWC wrote:
H
N

that's them.

You could get away with it. I will reuse spokes in certain cases, not if the wheel had a history of broken spokes though. When spokes break that means either the build was bad, or the wheels were thrashed. In both cases you end up with a wheel set worth of spokes in which some have been under much higher stresses than the rest. Best to just start fresh for a rebuild. Spokes and nipples are cheap and the small investment is long term risk averse.

22 Sep 2016 12:24

Archibald wrote:
MWC wrote:
H
N

that's them.

If the wheel hasn't been wacked and the wheel's tension even and OK, sure, re-use them. I'd get new nipps but have reused spokes more than a couple of times.
User avatar Bustedknuckle

23 Sep 2016 05:28

Bustedknuckle wrote:If the wheel hasn't been wacked and the wheel's tension even and OK, sure, re-use them. I'd get new nipps but have reused spokes more than a couple of times.

no whacks in my time.
had the build priced up and was nearly $500, which is pretty close to what the bike is probably now worth - but damn, I do like these wheels and would probably last quite a few years...
User avatar Archibald

24 Sep 2016 13:05

Archibald wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:If the wheel hasn't been wacked and the wheel's tension even and OK, sure, re-use them. I'd get new nipps but have reused spokes more than a couple of times.

no whacks in my time.
had the build priced up and was nearly $500, which is pretty close to what the bike is probably now worth - but damn, I do like these wheels and would probably last quite a few years...

$500???? Using old/your hubs?? Rims are about $80 per, I charge $50 labor per wheel and $1.15 per Sapim Race Spoke WITH SecureLock nipples....I'll do it for $325 plus shipping....send me your hubs. I have been building wheels for 31 years....

26 Sep 2016 04:38

Bustedknuckle wrote:
Archibald wrote:

no whacks in my time.

$500???? Using old/your hubs?? Rims are about $80 per, I charge $50 labor per wheel and $1.15 per Sapim Race Spoke WITH SecureLock nipples....I'll do it for $325 plus shipping....send me your hubs. I have been building wheels for 31 years....

I'm not in the US...
Your $325 translates to almost $430 here - before international postal rates ;)
Makes the $472+ about right then as international postage both ways will likely be more than $40 in total...

Appreciate the offer though.
User avatar Archibald

26 Sep 2016 05:12

Archibald wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
Archibald wrote:

no whacks in my time.

I'm not in the US...
Makes the $472+ about right then as international postage both ways will likely be more than $40 in total...

Where are you located in Aus?
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

26 Sep 2016 06:55

42x16ss wrote:
Archibald wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
Archibald wrote:

no whacks in my time.

I'm not in the US...

Where are you located in Aus?

Sydney
Emma Way thread should be a giveaway ;)
User avatar Archibald

26 Sep 2016 07:39

Oh yeah...

Turramurra Cycles used to have a very good wheel builder there, but that was 10+ years ago so I couldn't say if they still do. It's been 10 years since I last lived there. If you were in Perth or Queensland I could fix you up with someone easy. :(
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

27 Sep 2016 03:31

Archibald wrote:Sydney

Does Google not work in Sydney :confused:

Happy Wheels
Wooly's Wheels
Jet Cycles
Chainsmith
Bikebug
MC Cyclery

If none are satisfactory than have Shifterbikes in Melbourne, or Melody Wheels all the way over in Fremantle ship some to you. I'm sure you'll save a few $$ staying away from currency exchange rates and shipping within AUS over Intl shipping. I ship wheel sets from the furthest reaches of the West Coast of the US to the East coast for about $25-$30USD. Australia can't be much different.

28 Sep 2016 12:17

MWC wrote:

Happy Wheels
Wooly's Wheels
Jet Cycles
Chainsmith
Bikebug
MC Cyclery

If none are satisfactory than have Shifterbikes in Melbourne, or Melody Wheels all the way over in Fremantle ship some to you. I'm sure you'll save a few $$ staying away from currency exchange rates and shipping within AUS over Intl shipping. I ship wheel sets from the furthest reaches of the West Coast of the US to the East coast for about $25-$30USD. Australia can't be much different.

Does BikeFlights.com work 'down under?' I wonder.

29 Sep 2016 03:38

MWC wrote:

Happy Wheels
Wooly's Wheels
Jet Cycles
Chainsmith
Bikebug
MC Cyclery

remember I said "priced up"?
so, yes, I've looked around and asked... including some, but not all of those you mention. Also some others you didn't.
None are cheap, just to save a pair of nice hubs.
hell, one of the stores you note above said straight out not to bother, and just get a new set of fulcrum 5s for half the price...
User avatar Archibald

29 Sep 2016 04:25

Archibald wrote:
MWC wrote:

Happy Wheels
Wooly's Wheels
Jet Cycles
Chainsmith
Bikebug
MC Cyclery

so, yes, I've looked around and asked... including some, but not all of those you mention. Also some others you didn't.
hell, one of the stores you note above said straight out not to bother, and just get a new set of fulcrum 5s for half the price...

If price is your only motivator to get this project underway, then I think you already have your answer.

06 Oct 2016 03:25

MWC wrote:
Archibald wrote:
MWC wrote:

Happy Wheels
Wooly's Wheels
Jet Cycles
Chainsmith
Bikebug
MC Cyclery

If price is your only motivator to get this project underway, then I think you already have your answer.

I wouldn't call it a 'motivator', but more of a 'restrictor' ;)
User avatar Archibald

06 Oct 2016 11:29

Archibald wrote:
MWC wrote:

Happy Wheels
Wooly's Wheels
Jet Cycles
Chainsmith
Bikebug
MC Cyclery

And I wouldn't bother with that shop.

06 Oct 2016 16:06

Bustedknuckle wrote:
Archibald wrote:
MWC wrote:

Happy Wheels
Wooly's Wheels
Jet Cycles
Chainsmith
Bikebug
MC Cyclery

I'm riding a set of Fulcrum 5s (CX version) on my winter bike at the moment. Brilliant wheels.
winkybiker

08 Oct 2016 11:40

winkybiker wrote:
Bustedknuckle wrote:
Archibald wrote:
MWC wrote:

Happy Wheels
Wooly's Wheels
Jet Cycles
Chainsmith
Bikebug
MC Cyclery

I'm riding a set of Fulcrum 5s (CX version) on my winter bike at the moment. Brilliant wheels.

Not saying they aren't but a 'real' bike shop, a true 'pro' shop, has people that can build wheels. Essential part of the bike mechanic's 'tool bag'..IMHO

PreviousNext

Return to General