Register

Best Foot Forward

Moderator: King Boonen

Best Foot Forward

15 Jun 2009 20:03

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
After about 2-2.5hrs on the road, my big toe starts to feel like someone's just whacked a nail through it (from the front).
Naturally, this makes rides of 3-4hrs rather uncomfortable, which is a problem when i'm wanting to do longer Sportives and the like...

Experiences, thoughts...
User avatar Archibald

15 Jun 2009 21:54

This may sound stupid, but I had a similar complaint a while back, after 2.5 to 3 hrs sometimes less, I got pain all across my toes. Basically it was the type of shoes I was wearing. I don't think they suited my feet. New shoes saw me right again.

Obviously if this is a recent problem with shoes you normally wear, discount my post :)
User avatar schism

16 Jun 2009 02:17

Perhaps a circulation problem?

After 2-2.5hrs your feet will have swollen a bit, because of the heat that inevitably develops from the pushing and pulling motion. The result is that your toes might have some trouble finding a little breathing space... You could try to loosen your straps/buckle a little, so that your toes are less snug in the toebox. If it is still too tight, try to ride without socks, which I find more pleasant anyway. Sometimes you can even remove the inlay sole, and replace it with a thinner one. See if the extra space gives you more comfort.

If the problem persists, I would try other shoes...
User avatar Bala Verde
Veteran

16 Jun 2009 04:33

I'm not a physiotherapist but i'd recommend seeing one. Pain in your big toe could be cramped feet from tight shoes - or it could be referred pain from a pinched nerve problem as high as your spine.
bikebike

16 Jun 2009 12:07

Interesting. Cheers for the repsonses.

I actually wore thinner socks when this occured in the last two weeks, and these are the same shoes I've had for a few years now.
I'm just back from over 2 months off with a back injury that did involve a pinched nerve in my lower back, but I was under the impression that this was now okay...

Am back at the chiro tonight for more NSA treatment so will see if that alters anything on sunday.
User avatar Archibald

Return to General