Log in:  

Register

Blacking out

Moderator: Tonton

Blacking out

26 Sep 2011 18:14

Hi --
Two times in the last few weeks while cycling (with tri-bars) I passed out. In the hospital and after many investigations and tests, they cannot find anything, other then being in excellent physical shape. Just wondering whether cycling posture can have anything to do with it: elbows close together (forcing shoulders forward) and heads up, pushing it into the neck. Would it be possible that posture blocks blood flowing to the brains? The passing-out happens within 3-5 seconds, enough to stop to avoid an accident, but in both cases I fell and was unconscious for a few minutes.
Did anyone have a similar experience or heard about it? it is pretty scary to not be able to trust one own's body.
Thx., Cees
clinks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 26 Sep 2011 08:00

26 Sep 2011 18:29

clinks wrote:Hi --
Two times in the last few weeks while cycling (with tri-bars) I passed out. In the hospital and after many investigations and tests, they cannot find anything, other then being in excellent physical shape. Just wondering whether cycling posture can have anything to do with it: elbows close together (forcing shoulders forward) and heads up, pushing it into the neck. Would it be possible that posture blocks blood flowing to the brains? The passing-out happens within 3-5 seconds, enough to stop to avoid an accident, but in both cases I fell and was unconscious for a few minutes.
Did anyone have a similar experience or heard about it? it is pretty scary to not be able to trust one own's body.
Thx., Cees

you need to spend some time with a holter monitor.
FrankDay
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,194
Joined: 23 Sep 2010 16:30
Location: N. California

26 Sep 2011 22:18

that does not sound normal at all.
User avatar usedtobefast
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,367
Joined: 01 Jul 2009 23:19
Location: southern california

26 Sep 2011 22:47

First, I'd try to seek a another medical opinion. Blacking out is neither normal or good for your health. Unless you have some funky position there is nothing about the tri position that should induce this.

Second don't start riding again till you have this sorted. Blacking out on the bike is a very good way to ensure death or serious injury.
Tapeworm
Member
 
Posts: 548
Joined: 12 Mar 2009 10:28

28 Sep 2011 03:58

I second the Holter monitor test. See if you can also have a stress test done on a bike in a similar position.
twothirds
Junior Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: 30 Sep 2009 12:16
Location: YEG

28 Sep 2011 05:37

Safe environment with some form of medical supervision would be my suggestion

Time trial position on a stationary trainer would be the way to go.
User avatar Martin318is
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,052
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 06:35
Location: Melbourne, Australia

03 Oct 2011 05:03

Thanks for all the replies, but follow-on research is pointing towards "carotid sinus syndrome", probably a combination of time trial posture, in combination with a quick turn of the head checking on upcoming traffic from behind. With a sensitive carotid sinus this can cause cardio inhibition: your brains telling your heart to take a break for a few seconds or longer -- causing immediate collapse...
clinks
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 26 Sep 2011 08:00

03 Oct 2011 05:35

Never heard of that - sounds really scary!
I would definitely do some indoor supervised testing in that case to check your position and whether anything can be done to stop that pressre happening.
User avatar Martin318is
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,052
Joined: 16 Jun 2009 06:35
Location: Melbourne, Australia

01 Jun 2012 15:24

I have had 2 similar episodes...though neither involved TT bars;)...and I wonder if they may be similar?

My Dr told me it was his opinion that my fitness/low body fat/ low blood pressure created the perfect conditions to allow blood flow to the brain to slow at times. The feeling is similar to the one one might feel when standing up too quickly.

Simple remedy for me: I just need to put my head to my knees when I feel it coming on. Not that you can do that while riding!
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][font="Impact"]The devil may tip but my Jesus got an open bar[/font][/SIZE].[/SIZE]
User avatar Black-Balled
Member
 
Posts: 616
Joined: 13 Mar 2009 14:18
Location: Arena Near You

01 Jun 2012 18:53

clinks wrote:Thanks for all the replies, but follow-on research is pointing towards "carotid sinus syndrome", probably a combination of time trial posture, in combination with a quick turn of the head checking on upcoming traffic from behind. With a sensitive carotid sinus this can cause cardio inhibition: your brains telling your heart to take a break for a few seconds or longer -- causing immediate collapse...


Dang! Strangest thing I think I've heard.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,745
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

25 Jul 2012 15:24

Black-Balled wrote:I have had 2 similar episodes...though neither involved TT bars;)...and I wonder if they may be similar?

My Dr told me it was his opinion that my fitness/low body fat/ low blood pressure created the perfect conditions to allow blood flow to the brain to slow at times. The feeling is similar to the one one might feel when standing up too quickly.

Simple remedy for me: I just need to put my head to my knees when I feel it coming on. Not that you can do that while riding!


But did you actually black out like the OP? What you describe I've read before (can't remember where) is normal. I get those as well - but not to the point of actually blacking out.
Raul Ramaya
Junior Member
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 23 Apr 2012 17:19

Re: Blacking out

17 Aug 2017 14:34

[quote="clinks"]Hi --
This happened to me today..I'm yet to see a doctor I'll tell you of the results as soon as I see one..
jnyagaitau
Newly Registered Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Aug 2017 14:28


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top