Register

The Powermeter Thread

27 Feb 2015 01:57

CoachFergie wrote:Trolls gotta troll....People should report trolling so this forum can make progress.

correctomundo

cheers
bison
“Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves Moriarty? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”
User avatar sittingbison

11 Mar 2015 17:26

CoachFergie wrote:Opportunities for further study include, determination of threshold, determination of training stress scores, determination of anaerobic work capacity and the use of all those metrics to guide the coaching process.
Since you didn't like my thoughts regarding what would be a better thing to study regarding the power meter perhaps you could answer me these questions.

How would you design a study to look at any of the above (What would you compare?)? What would you hope to see (or predict) regarding guiding "the coaching process" as a result of your efforts?
Life is short, both reading my posts and training with PowerCranks will make it seem longer
FrankDay

18 Mar 2015 06:52

New products from an old player in the power meter game. Looks like a better mousetrap for a pedal based power meter.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/03/ ... ent_363677
User avatar CoachFergie

Re: The Powermeter Thread

27 Apr 2015 16:54

I have a garmin edge device, the 510. It measures the effect from my vectors. Cool!

How do you guys dispaly your watt-effect on your devices ? I would like to an average ball park figure at all times, but I am not sure what I should select for the best precision. E.g when I need to ride an interval and watt should be between 350-400 for 5 minutes.

It's a bit frustration to look at the device and it gives you numbers from 150-600. I am missing an avarage setting here :)

Makes sense ?
User avatar danielovichdk2

27 Apr 2015 17:05

danielovichdk2 wrote:I have a garmin edge device, the 510. It measures the effect from my vectors. Cool!

How do you guys dispaly your watt-effect on your devices ? I would like to an average ball park figure at all times, but I am not sure what I should select for the best precision. E.g when I need to ride an interval and watt should be between 350-400 for 5 minutes.

It's a bit frustration to look at the device and it gives you numbers from 150-600. I am missing an avarage setting here :)

Makes sense ?

Are you saying that you'd like to see a lap average or possibly a rolling average of the last 3/10/30sec? I typically have a 3sec avg displayed and a separate line or screen for lap details. Have a rolling average will reduce the spikes that you see, but might mask the effort you put in for shorter bursts.
JamesCun

27 Apr 2015 17:34

JamesCun wrote:
danielovichdk2 wrote:I have a garmin edge device, the 510. It measures the effect from my vectors. Cool!

Makes sense ?

Are you saying that you'd like to see a lap average or possibly a rolling average of the last 3/10/30sec? I typically have a 3sec avg displayed and a separate line or screen for lap details. Have a rolling average will reduce the spikes that you see, but might mask the effort you put in for shorter bursts.

good point! I will try to do that. Thx!
User avatar danielovichdk2

22 May 2015 11:12

Hi,
Just introducing myself to the Powermeter Thread because I have only just got myself one. I realised that I needed to do something to improve my results and buying lighter bikes and/or components was never going to do the trick. The key is smarter training and pacing in events. I race crits and do some TTs as well as hill climbs and then cyclo-cross in the winter.

Until now, I've trained on my turbo with Trainer Road using virtual power and this became an excellent way of using data on the watts to asses performance and gains.

I've gone for a Stages 172.5 Shimano 105 which will sit on both my best bike and my winter bike. I'll need to do some modifications to other bikes to get it to work there too or....if budget allows and I start to see big benefits...invest in a second power meter.

Hope to be a reasonably active member of the thread and will start to read through what's been said before.

Dom
dfawatts
Newly Registered Member

22 May 2015 12:24

dfawatts wrote:Hi,
Just introducing myself to the Powermeter Thread because I have only just got myself one. I realised that I needed to do something to improve my results and buying lighter bikes and/or components was never going to do the trick. The key is smarter training and pacing in events. I race crits and do some TTs as well as hill climbs and then cyclo-cross in the winter.

Until now, I've trained on my turbo with Trainer Road using virtual power and this became an excellent way of using data on the watts to asses performance and gains.

I've gone for a Stages 172.5 Shimano 105 which will sit on both my best bike and my winter bike. I'll need to do some modifications to other bikes to get it to work there too or....if budget allows and I start to see big benefits...invest in a second power meter.

Hope to be a reasonably active member of the thread and will start to read through what's been said before.

Dom

Hi Dom,

Welcome to the forum. I'm certain that you'll find training and racing with a power meter very educational. Initially you'll find that what you think you're doing and what you're actually doing are often at great odds and a power meter will show that clearly. You'll soon find your sense of effort much better "calibrated" than pre-power meter.

I would recommend that you join the Google Wattage group and spend time hanging out there. It's not as troll infested as this forum with a greater signal to noise ratio in terms of useful information.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/wattage

Have fun sorting through the old posts.

Hugh
Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
sciguy

22 May 2015 15:20

Troll - anyone who disagrees with what I say or who asks for evidence to support what I say. Yes, go to where the trolls aren't. You will learn a lot there.
FrankDay

Re:

22 May 2015 15:42

FrankDay wrote:Troll - anyone who disagrees with what I say or who asks for evidence to support what I say. Yes, go to where the trolls aren't. You will learn a lot there.

Look above...exhibit A
JamesCun

19 Jun 2015 20:44

Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz
User avatar CoachFergie

Re:

22 Jun 2015 21:06

User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

22 Jun 2015 23:00

Yep, also having seen the video of Fignon breaking a pedal axle and binning it hard makes me think twice about it. Pedal based PM's are cool though. Have a Perth based client in Malaysia and just able to whip his Garmin Vectors on the bikes in the Hotel gym.
Hamish Ferguson
User avatar CoachFergie

23 Jul 2015 21:39

My Masters Thesis on using common measures of training from a power meter to predict performance in cycling road races.

http://aut.researchgateway.ac.nz/handle/10292/8935
Hamish Ferguson
User avatar CoachFergie

Re:

24 Jul 2015 19:28

CoachFergie wrote:My Masters Thesis on using common measures of training from a power meter to predict performance in cycling road races.

-----------------------------------
Thanks for making this available.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

24 Jul 2015 20:49

WKO4 has finally been released. I am not an employee of TrainingPeaks but have been involved as a beta tester of the power meter data analysis software since January 2014. Currently available for use on Mac's and hopefully within the next 3 months a PC option.

Some of the big advances I see is a power-duration curve that is calculated for you meaning you don't have to perform a lot of testing, automatic syncing with TrainingPeaks online and the ability to design your own charts if you have a bit of computing understanding or you can go to TPeaks and choose from a wide selection of charts to look at long term data or analyse each individual ride.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/products/wko4/
Hamish Ferguson
User avatar CoachFergie

29 Jul 2015 01:49

Anyone tried WKO4? Any comments? Ease of use? Tried to create some charts?

Is anyone using Golden Cheetah 3.2, how do you find that?

I use both and suspect I will be doing this for a while yet, as well as using WKO3.
Hamish Ferguson
User avatar CoachFergie

Re:

29 Jul 2015 02:34

CoachFergie wrote:Anyone tried WKO4? Any comments? Ease of use? Tried to create some charts?

Is anyone using Golden Cheetah 3.2, how do you find that?

I use both and suspect I will be doing this for a while yet, as well as using WKO3.

Waiting on Windows version. Hope it fixes a lot of the shortcomings of ver 3.
JamesCun

22 Jan 2016 11:58

Anyone following the Limits power meter saga?
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

Re:

22 Jan 2016 13:43

King Boonen wrote:Anyone following the Limits power meter saga?

sort of, bit of a train wreck
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

PreviousNext

Return to General