Log in:  

Register

The Wiggo Cool Down

Moderator: King Boonen

The Wiggo Cool Down

25 Apr 2013 20:52

User avatar masking_agent
Member
 
Posts: 595
Joined: 06 Oct 2010 19:26

26 Apr 2013 04:59

masking_agent wrote:So apparently Team Sky's Warm Down may not be needed after all.. Hmmm ??

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/do-we-have-to-cool-down-after-exercise/?smid=fb-nytimes&WT.z_sma=HL_DWH_20130425:confused:


"The cool-down group could, on average, leap a little higher the next day than those who’d sat around for 20 minutes, but the difference was slight"

Take that and apply it x1000 as a result of stage racing, and the difference is significant. SBW wins races because of cool downs.
Mr. McQ
New Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 02 Apr 2013 04:23

26 Apr 2013 05:20

Mr. McQ wrote:"The cool-down group could, on average, leap a little higher the next day than those who’d sat around for 20 minutes, but the difference was slight"

Take that and apply it x1000 as a result of stage racing, and the difference is significant. SBW wins races because of cool downs.


Hey, new member who just happened to first post in support of Sky in the Clinic then ran down here to make another dubious post in support of Sky, nice job cherry picking one sentence when the rest of the article summarizes studies that conclude there is no posiitve effect other than suddenly stopping exercise might cause dizziness.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,318
Joined: 18 Mar 2009 00:41
Location: Above 5000 feet

26 Apr 2013 05:33

BroDeal wrote:Hey, new member who just happened to first post in support of Sky in the Clinic then ran down here to make another dubious post in support of Sky, nice job cherry picking one sentence when the rest of the article summarizes studies that conclude there is no posiitve effect other than suddenly stopping exercise might cause dizziness.


Well the article is hardly cycling specific and yet it still notes a slight benefit from a cool down. Sounds like a marginal gain to me. These things add up. (sarcasm)

I'm not saying the article proves improved performance. But it does not prove cool downs do not work, either. So it's pretty non-definitive.
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,628
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 03:41
Location: It's a surprise!

26 Apr 2013 14:41

Mr. McQ wrote:"The cool-down group could, on average, leap a little higher the next day than those who’d sat around for 20 minutes, but the difference was slight"


It's marginal gains. A very, very, very, very, very small marginal gain. But...still...
:p
User avatar Afrank
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,595
Joined: 16 Aug 2011 21:58
Location: Oregon

26 Apr 2013 22:40

It makes me wonder where the cool down theory came from in the first place. Some football coach somewhere convinces himself it must be a good idea and next thing you know athletes all over the world are doing it... until someone questions it.
[color="DarkGreen"][SIZE="2"]"I thought of that while riding my bicycle." ~ Albert Einstein on the Theory of Relativity[/SIZE][/color]
User avatar Polyarmour
Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: 20 Jul 2010 07:35
Location: Mt Coot-tha

27 Apr 2013 16:42

I think it probably predates modern football. And, I don't think scientific evidence is anything new, either. As I recall, from the 1970's, I read old Italian coaching material saying (paraphrasing): "we know scientifically that recovery is aided by repetitive unloaded effort until the body has cooled".

That is out of my memory - so take the accuracy with 2 grains of salt. But the basic idea that I remember was repetitive, light or unloaded, range of motion activity for the stressed muscle group. And that there was some science behind that.

I think JV's point, quoted in these forums on somebody's sig - is that most riders DON'T do a cool down, even though they know they "should". I'm sure somebody here will tell me whose sig that is, TIA!
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,659
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 19:03
Location: In Descartes' reality

27 Apr 2013 20:44

hiero2 wrote:I think it probably predates modern football. And, I don't think scientific evidence is anything new, either. As I recall, from the 1970's, I read old Italian coaching material saying (paraphrasing): "we know scientifically that recovery is aided by repetitive unloaded effort until the body has cooled".

That is out of my memory - so take the accuracy with 2 grains of salt. But the basic idea that I remember was repetitive, light or unloaded, range of motion activity for the stressed muscle group. And that there was some science behind that.

I think JV's point, quoted in these forums on somebody's sig - is that most riders DON'T do a cool down, even though they know they "should". I'm sure somebody here will tell me whose sig that is, TIA!


I think it is/was Jimmy's.

The funny thing about the warm down thing is it is very evident post race. Like you hop on your trainer pretty quick. So it is great for PR - "Hey, see, we are warming down, we gots ourselves some marginal gains, it makes us go from crap to cool in one off-season".

Amazing science from Sky.
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,628
Joined: 14 Sep 2009 03:41
Location: It's a surprise!

28 Apr 2013 11:28

Seems like a lot is being based on a sketchy article on a study looking non-athletes which was published in a newspaper - commonly known for their high level analysis of sporting physiology.

And let's look at the journo's other insightful pieces:-
Do ball chairs offer benefits?
Reasons not to stretch
Ask Well:- More Repetitions or More Weight? (a real cracker).


But yeah, skip the cool down.
Tapeworm
Member
 
Posts: 548
Joined: 12 Mar 2009 10:28

28 Apr 2013 12:32

Tapeworm wrote:Seems like a lot is being based on a sketchy article on a study looking non-athletes which was published in a newspaper - commonly known for their high level analysis of sporting physiology.

And let's look at the journo's other insightful pieces:-
Do ball chairs offer benefits?
Reasons not to stretch
Ask Well:- More Repetitions or More Weight? (a real cracker).


But yeah, skip the cool down.


I guess I didn't state it clearly: I am rather certain there is scientific evidence, i.e. studies. They are probably old now, which does not invalidate them. And, if nobody is doing what they SHOULD, because it is too much work, and it is ONLY a marginal gain, then if you take that marginal gain, you are ahead.
It is of great use to the sailor to know the length of his line, though he cannot with it fathom all the depths of the ocean. ~ John Locke
User avatar hiero2
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,659
Joined: 10 Jul 2010 19:03
Location: In Descartes' reality

28 Apr 2013 17:23

Tapeworm wrote:Seems like a lot is being based on a sketchy article on a study looking non-athletes which was published in a newspaper - commonly known for their high level analysis of sporting physiology.

And let's look at the journo's other insightful pieces:-
Do ball chairs offer benefits?
Reasons not to stretch
Ask Well:- More Repetitions or More Weight? (a real cracker).

But yeah, skip the cool down.


Sketchy? Unless I miscounted, the article uses the conclusions of four different research studies published in peer reviewed journals. It also cites the opinion of two experts in the field, both of whom should have a good grasp of recent and historical research on the subject. How much more do you want?

The Sky connection made with this thread's title is pretty funny. If current research shows no advantage to cooling down then Sky, a team that touts its use of cutting edge coaching for gaining an advantage over its doping rivals, is engaged in the same clinging to traditions and old wives' tales that they accuse other teams of doing.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,318
Joined: 18 Mar 2009 00:41
Location: Above 5000 feet

28 Apr 2013 17:39

1% down, 99 to go?

Cooling down is a red herring. Hot shower has the same effect.
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,238
Joined: 20 Apr 2012 15:07
Location: Netherlands

28 Apr 2013 17:44

The cool-down group could, on average, leap a little higher the next day than those who’d sat around for 20 minutes, but the difference was slight.


So there is a slight/marginal benefit from warming down, for the professional footballers according to the article.
del1962
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,794
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 17:20

28 Apr 2013 17:47

del1962 wrote:So there is a slight/marginal benefit from warming down, for the professional footballers according to the article.
The word is cooling down Del, when you have been in the field you would know the word is COOLING down. WARMING up, COOLING down.

Only WARMUPS help.
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,238
Joined: 20 Apr 2012 15:07
Location: Netherlands

28 Apr 2013 19:27

I'd recommend anyone calling the effects trivial to look at the actual Rey et al 2012 paper. The results from the boxjump don't seem to be trivial at all.

But even if one thinks this is a trivial effect, it is the effect of a single cool-down on a single work out. So it wouldn't be very prudent to rule out the possibility that the effects might be larger over a longer period of intense workouts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3588659/
User avatar Cramps
Junior Member
 
Posts: 193
Joined: 04 Sep 2012 16:19

01 May 2013 03:15

Cramps wrote:I'd recommend anyone calling the effects trivial to look at the actual Rey et al 2012 paper. The results from the boxjump don't seem to be trivial at all.

But even if one thinks this is a trivial effect, it is the effect of a single cool-down on a single work out. So it wouldn't be very prudent to rule out the possibility that the effects might be larger over a longer period of intense workouts.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3588659/



Thank you. This was the point I was trying to make.
Mr. McQ
New Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 02 Apr 2013 04:23

01 May 2013 03:16

BroDeal wrote:Sketchy? Unless I miscounted, the article uses the conclusions of four different research studies published in peer reviewed journals. It also cites the opinion of two experts in the field, both of whom should have a good grasp of recent and historical research on the subject. How much more do you want?

The Sky connection made with this thread's title is pretty funny. If current research shows no advantage to cooling down then Sky, a team that touts its use of cutting edge coaching for gaining an advantage over its doping rivals, is engaged in the same clinging to traditions and old wives' tales that they accuse other teams of doing.


But current research shows marginal advantage.
Mr. McQ
New Member
 
Posts: 43
Joined: 02 Apr 2013 04:23

01 May 2013 04:13

Mr. McQ wrote:But current research shows marginal advantage.


Nope. The articles cited showed no significant advantage. The one study with a "slight" advantage in jumping can be counterbalanced by the study that showed the cool down group experienced more muscle pain. If there was a true significant advantage then multiple studies would have shown it.

This stuff is no more effective than voodoo. It just goes to show how Sky is stuck in the methods of bro-science rather than current research.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran
 
Posts: 13,318
Joined: 18 Mar 2009 00:41
Location: Above 5000 feet

01 May 2013 04:29

None of it is very relevant to an aerobic sport?
Ferminal
Veteran
 
Posts: 17,001
Joined: 03 Jul 2009 09:42

01 May 2013 05:09

Polyarmour wrote:It makes me wonder where the cool down theory came from in the first place...


hiero2 wrote:I think it probably predates modern football...


It was first started by the 300 Spartans guarding the Springs of Thermopylae in 480BC. A Persian spy spotted the relief squad all basking around naked in the hot springs and combing each others long hair while the main squad was skewering Immortals.

Leonidas decided to let the spy report back to Xerxes with the story about how the Spartans were so unconcerned they had time to cool down by bathing in the midst of a fight, even though they were only one percent of the hordes of ravening Persians.

And thus the 1% theory started.
The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
User avatar sittingbison
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,299
Joined: 05 Jul 2012 08:11
Location: Perth WA

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Back to top
cron