Register

The Wiggo Cool Down

Moderator: King Boonen

01 May 2013 10:03

BroDeal wrote:This stuff is no more effective than voodoo. It just goes to show how Sky is stuck in the methods of bro-science rather than current research.

That's funny right there. I think BroDeal has bro-science on the brain.

And the reason why there aren't more conclusive studies is because if they have been done, they're aren't out there. But there's enough to conclude its a better idea than not. Including those in the article I added a couple more:-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23486850
Non-athletes. More pain in warm up group, lesser in control and cool-down groups. Effects of resistance exercise. Cool down group faired better than the warm-up group. No change in muscle force.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23486836
Soccer players. Fractional improvements on all trials. 2 not statistically difference, 1 was.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22210472
Soccer players. No difference.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17535144
Random groups doing walking. Focusing on eccentric exercise (cycling doesn’t have eccentric loading). Warm-up fared better than the above.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18076266
Work da abz post exercise to reduce lactate levels.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12735426
Cool down reduces HR post exercise (not the real focus of study but the data stands).

Reduced lactate levels and lower HR seems good to me.
Tapeworm

01 May 2013 11:07

Tapeworm wrote:And the reason why there aren't more conclusive studies is because if they have been done, they're aren't out there. But there's enough to conclude its a better idea than not.

Well, there's a ringing endorsement. :rolleyes:

Where are the studies that show there is any performance difference after two hours of a five hour stage? Better HR reduction after cooling down? Is that supposed to indicate there will be one whit of difference the next day? Studies on non-athletes? Poking people's muscles the next day then trying to determine whether a subject has less soreness? This is the type of crackpot science that pervades the field. It is professors with too much time on their hands doing poorly constructed experiments on too few subjects, which are often whatever group of undertrained slackers the professor manages to round up on campus.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

01 May 2013 11:27

^ No arguments there. But as I said, if people have conducted research as to what is the best post-race strategy they haven't published it, and maybe for good reason.

Not all practices come from peer-reviewed studies. Sometimes they may want to keep it "in-house" for a reason.
Tapeworm

01 May 2013 13:25

I thought post-race massaging somewhat replaces cooling down? Nup?

Here's some "antidotal" evidence from me, about me. Ha (comedy gold from me, as usual per).

A few times over the years, I've been out training and had to rush home like a maniac to get to work on time, to the point where I time-trialed 100% right to my front door. Each time I've done this, my legs killed me for about 3 days, as if I had DOMS from doing heavy weight. However, I was well accustomed to cycling hard, so it wasn't DOMS. The last time it happened I thought there was something wrong me.

Having said that, just because my legs were sore, I dunno if it effected performance, coz I don't have a powermeter.

boom shanka
User avatar Captain Serious

02 May 2013 04:34

Captain Serious wrote:...just because my legs were sore, I dunno if it effected performance, coz I don't have a powermeter.

boom shanka

what was your crank length? Were your chicken nuggets deep fried in trans fatty acids? Did your pedaling technique fail due to time trial position?

Perhaps you need to improve efficiency ;)
The long sobs of autumn's violins wound my heart with a monotonous languor

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
User avatar sittingbison

02 May 2013 04:47

Ha. Yeah, not enough 'upstroking', or maybe the wrong cadence, wrong seat angle, or coz I forgot my beetroot juice

02 May 2013 04:48

Tapeworm wrote:^ No arguments there. But as I said, if people have conducted research as to what is the best post-race strategy they haven't published it, and maybe for good reason.

Not all practices come from peer-reviewed studies. Sometimes they may want to keep it "in-house" for a reason.

Yeh, but for someone to claim it has performance benefits. Well it's just that, a claim, even if their "research" tells them it works, we have no way of verifying. We simply don't know.

There was one I read using 100km TTs where active recovery was no better/worse than neutral/cool water, there was no control though...

Come to think of it don't FdJ or someone like that use a cryo machine?
Ferminal
Veteran

29 May 2013 17:54

I just stumbled across the Vaughters' quote.

JV1973 wrote: I'd say maybe 10% of the peloton cools down, while the rest just jump on the bus straight after the sprint. Cycling sometimes is so backwards it amazes me.

31 May 2013 22:40

BroDeal wrote:Hey, new member who just happened to first post in support of Sky in the Clinic then ran down here to make another dubious post in support of Sky, nice job cherry picking one sentence when the rest of the article summarizes studies that conclude there is no posiitve effect other than suddenly stopping exercise might cause dizziness.

Will someone make brodeal an admin please.
User avatar Boeing

Previous

Return to General