Register

Supplement to aid weight loss?

Moderator: Tonton

21 Dec 2009 10:56

ianzinta wrote:As you said that you are satisfied with your eating habit so, here I just want to suggest you to give some more time to exercise and swimming.

Hi I heard that swimming is the best exercise to reduce the body fat and weight. But what for the people who doesn't know swimming. Is there any exercise that gives the equivalent effective similar to swimming.
nigelle
Newly Registered Member

21 Dec 2009 13:36

nigelle wrote:Hi I heard that swimming is the best exercise to reduce the body fat and weight. But what for the people who doesn't know swimming. Is there any exercise that gives the equivalent effective similar to swimming.

For whatever reason, swimming does not work well for weight loss. I don't know why. Running works the best. Again, I don't know why. It should be a simple issue of calories burned while exercising, but I have always been able to achieve my lowest weight with running.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

21 Dec 2009 21:59

[quote="BroDeal"]For whatever reason, swimming does not work well for weight loss. I don't know why. QUOTE]

Swimming is great for aerobics but it doesn't work as well for weight loss because it is not weight bearing. Spending the same period of time running will use way more energy and therefore contribute more to weight loss.
User avatar Martin318is

21 Dec 2009 23:35

I was involved in a sport for many years that had weight classes. I wrestled with an obsession of the scale. I havent stepped on one for 5 years except at the doctors office because it causes anxiety.

I have tried all kinds of supplements. none were effective. Like someone posted above, my lowest weight was always attained with running in combination with a lower carb and low glycemic food and a lot of protein. This can hinder your reserves for performing aerobically but if your after weight loss it boils down to expending more than you put in. There isnt any other substitute.

Im still a novice cyclist but from my past athletics I am getting better at finding out how I can get the most weight loss from it. Im paying more attention to heart rate and taking advantage of being able to do more cardio on the bike due to less jarring of the body from running. I guess, more work, less food and the right kind of food.

You'd think by now there would be a proven supplement that is a win win win for weight loss. There isnt one, but they keep inventing them.
zealot66

22 Dec 2009 03:46

I know this thread is about supplements for weight loss, but do you really need them? There are so many quick fixes out there, but what about just a sensible approach to achieving and maintaining your ideal weight? Hard work and a sensible diet (ie, not a fad diet, but something you can incorporate into your everyday life with minimal impact or change). Each to their own regarding the best weight loss exercise. I like weights and running with a combination of high intensity and recovery work outs on the bike for weight loss, but I also combine these with a variety of other sports like cross-country skiing, snow shoeing, climbing, swimming, hiking, canoeing, yoga and hopefully soon some martial arts. For me, the variety maintains my interest and gets me out there doing different things. I typically eat a high protein, low GI diet with no processed foods and minimal carbohydrates (ie, meat/fish with lots of vegetables and fruit). These meals are easy to cook, tasty, filling and do not involve counting calories or making sacrifices. And I jump on the scales every day. If I see my weight creeping up, then I will reduce my plate size and/or increase my workload. That way I am not 2 months down the track and having to work off 5kg that have mysteriously packed itself on to my frame. I'd rather know that I look the way I do because of a sensible training regime than rely on supplements or drugs to achieve a look or desired weight.
"If you're going through hell, keep going." - Winston Churchill
User avatar elapid

Re: Supplement to aid weight loss?

24 Dec 2009 13:31

The post seems to be very useful one. Thanks for providing such information. I was over weight. One of my friend suggested me to visit Thoughts Become Reality they provided me good tips and the best exercise to lose weight. I followed their tips and my body became fit and healthy.
John_athon
Newly Registered Member

25 Dec 2009 03:50

Yes, you are like on a hurry. Don't worry about that. And the part that you said that you are not really into sports, speed and things like that.

I have a suggestion for you, why don't you try challenge yourself, play the your most favorite sport. Actually, a year ago I was fat, I ranged 75 - 80 kilos. I really don't like the feeling of being that size again. I mean no offense to others but you know who you are and you know you can do it.

Always think that not all fat burning exercises are boring, there are enjoying exercises too, just consider them as a play. Enjoy and stay healthy.
Merry Christmas!
jamesking251
Newly Registered Member

30 Dec 2009 12:27

I think by concentrating on both diet and exercise will help in loosing weight. I'm 5'9". There is more to weight loss than dropping a few pounds off of your waistline.
Rickey
Newly Registered Member

04 Jan 2010 12:02

ozymandias wrote:Cover article in recent issue of Time, you can read it online for free: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

The basic point of the article is that if you want to lose weight, you need to focus on diet rather than exercise.

Thanks for the link, ozymandias, it's a good article and the Time site has links to quite a few similar articles as well.

It's worth pointing out that the author doesn't claim outright that exercise doesn't help one lose weight, rather that people's behaviour tends to compensate for the exercise they do. People tend to eat more and move less after exercising, cancelling-out their weight-loss efforts. So don't stop riding - it can and will strip the weight from your body if you eat sensibly and avoid overcompensating.

In another article there, 'The Myth of Moderate Exercise', one of the physiologists quoted claims that exercise is the factor most strongly corellated with weight-loss. I guess it's all in the methodology...

Thanks again for the link, ozymandis!
CycloErgoSum

Re: Supplement to aid weight loss?

13 Jan 2010 10:14

Nice post. Useful information has been given. Thanks for sharing such useful information. I loosed weight by doing regular exercise and proper diet. I got good health tips from thoughtsbecomereality they provide a hypnosis for all type of mental and health issues. It was more helpful for me. Now my body is fit and healthy.
William_James
Newly Registered Member

13 Jan 2010 18:48

be very careful of any weight loss supplement that could have stimulants that can cause heart rate issues in training along with dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.

if you are losing more than 2 pounds a week and still training at any intensity there is a problem in my humble opinion. and it will hurt your recovery.this realy is a great post and question.

I distinguish between training for recovery/intensity and base weight loss fitness. I have to separate the 2. that is just me. At any level of prolonged intensity I tend to eat more during and after a ride otherwise I just can't manage recovery and get any benefit.

less calories in and longer in the saddle spinning help me lose weight and double the water.

As stated. I avoid any white carbs and try to get most of my carbs from fruits and vegi.

Brown Rice and if you must eat pasta, under cook it so it takes longer to digest.

One of the lads in the local training rides just told me about Coconut milk as a fatty supplement that helps in but I need to look into that more as to how and why. anyone?
User avatar Boeing

16 Jan 2010 14:06

Four years ago in a moment of madness, I went onto a website and purchased
some dieting pills which promised weight loss. The pills were Xenical. They were
rubbish and didn't work at all.

The worst thing about it is that I'm still being bombarded with emails for the
company trying to sell me more tablets. The emails are always from a different
email address. At the time of ordering my hotmail account wasn't working so
I used my usual email address. What a big mistake.
User avatar maanderx

16 Jan 2010 16:40

ozymandias wrote:Cover article in recent issue of Time, you can read it online for free: Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin

The basic point of the article is that if you want to lose weight, you need to focus on diet rather than exercise.

And The Science of Sports blog is currently running a series on excercise and weight loss, which among other thing examines the somewhat selective selection of Science in the Time's article.
Part 1
Part 2
Cerberus

29 Jan 2010 17:41

Hi all, nice to see you all here.
Hope that i can learn something interesting in this forum

Have fun
[url=[url=http://www.buyvitaminsmart.com/vitamin-supplements-stores/GNC.com/]Vitamin internet code[/url]]Vitamin internet code[/URL]
tadung
Newly Registered Member

30 Jan 2010 03:52

It's a fantastic post to see all the information provided here. For the weight loss program to be a success, it is necessary that people has to understand the difference between fad diets and safe, effective weight loss programs that generate long-lasting weight loss results.
Keaton
Newly Registered Member

02 Feb 2010 07:13

Like half the posts in this thread are spam.
"Listen, my son. Trust no one! You can count on no one but yourself. Improve your skills, son. Harden your body. Become a number one man. Do not ever let anyone beat you!" -- Gekitotsu! Satsujin ken
User avatar BroDeal
Veteran

05 Feb 2010 00:37

The quick weight loss purveyors are schooling here! I like the Hampsten poster avatar
User avatar daviel

02 Mar 2010 23:14

Orlistat :D
User avatar JessyBurke

12 Mar 2010 16:37

Hi,
Really nice posts regarding weight loss...I personally would like to suggest some...Including exercises like Swimming,Running (7 minute mile average) helps better...Diet maintenance is also important...It doesn't look same for all.But,it includes factors like age,height..etc.,

Thank you
rossruther
Newly Registered Member

Advice

23 Mar 2010 11:03

I would like advice have just join the forum and found this post ,i'm a club racer .Train on a 4 week program 3 weeks on, 1 week recovery.
Now i'm 5 7" weight 63 kilo's need to be 59 kilo's,in the last year have put on 3 kilo's .I have a big race /Tour in 5 weeks ,need to climb hills with out 3 kilo's .
Finding it hard to move because of the amount of,exercise i do eg 6 days 2/3 hours on bike ,2 sessions of Rpm ,plus 2 weight circuits a week .
Always hungry eat a lot of carbs ,lot of lollies (crave sugar ) no i can't just eat protein will not have enough energy to train with .Any help on foods that i might eat that will stop me feeling hungry or craving sugar.
startrek1818
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to General