Log in:  

Register

How do you workout on the bike ?

Moderator: Tonton

How do you workout on the bike ?

10 Jun 2015 13:04

I miss a thread where people share training sessions. I would love to know how you guys work out on the bike.

I do my own programs, and it varies of course. But I find it difficult to find a perfect balance between endurance and strength.

In the winter (dec/jan/feb) I usually do 180-250km a week.

2 short rides (50-60km) with different intervals depending on mood, and 1 longer ride (80+km).

Along with that I do weight training a couple of times a week too.

In march/april I step it up a notch start riding 5 times a week, with a few more medium rides (80+km) but with more intensity on those as well. So a few longer intervals during those rides. I still do 2 shorter rides (50-60), one of which is a rest ride and another a pretty hard one. And lastly a longer one (120+km)

In may/june/july I ride a bit depending on what I want in terms of races. If I have no races it might look a lot like what I do in march/april as long as I get 350km a week.

I have no idea how amateurs do their workout, and I don't ride in a club.

I would love to hear what you are doing and how you structure it ?

Do you ride hard 2 days in a row ? Do you do more long rides ? How long intervals ? Etc.!

Share please :)
User avatar danielovichdk2
Junior Member
 
Posts: 95
Joined: 18 Mar 2015 07:28

11 Jun 2015 10:28

When I train hard two days in a row, I allocate the first day to speed work. This is either sprint intervals or a bunch ride which has designated fast efforts . The second day will be strength, either a long hills ride or repeats. The next day will be a recovery session.

Here in Australia we can ride all year round so if you want to be fresh for the main part of the year (March - September) you need to avoid racing too many of the summer crits and do plenty of base. Unless you live in Perth there's racing all year so you need to plan your season to some extent if you intend on getting results.

I also like to keep a foam roller and other self massage tools to keep loose and fresh.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,293
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

22 Jun 2015 23:13

By necessity, ie too much coaching not enough riding, I am in a long conditioning phase. Just trying to get out for easy miles for at least two hours. Winter is starting to kick in here so doing sessions on the erg at either short tt pace or track pursuit pace to keep it short. Obviously watching what I eat and trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Yeah, love my foam roller and also use a tennis ball to massage tight spots.
Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz
User avatar CoachFergie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: 21 Apr 2009 21:36
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Re:

01 Jul 2015 02:23

CoachFergie wrote:By necessity, ie too much coaching not enough riding, I am in a long conditioning phase. Just trying to get out for easy miles for at least two hours. Winter is starting to kick in here so doing sessions on the erg at either short tt pace or track pursuit pace to keep it short. Obviously watching what I eat and trying to avoid processed foods as much as possible. Yeah, love my foam roller and also use a tennis ball to massage tight spots.

I've found these - http://www.ironedge.com.au/store/orange-massage-ball.html - and they are brilliant. They might be a little too hard for older athletes but excellent for getting into trigger points. These are a little bit smaller than a tennis ball too.

A great trick for the back and neck is to tape two tennis balls together. You can get specially designed backballs/rollers but IMO they're no better.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,293
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

01 Jul 2015 03:49

Tell me about these foam roller things please.

What are you doing with them and how often?
User avatar StinkFist
Junior Member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Jun 2015 19:06
Location: You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You.

01 Jul 2015 09:52

Most fitness and health stores will sell them. Great for self massage. I would aim for 15-20mins of rolling a day in heavy training in conjunction with cold water, compression garments, stretching and sleep to enhance recovery and prevent injury between hard training sessions.
Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz
User avatar CoachFergie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: 21 Apr 2009 21:36
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

01 Jul 2015 17:08

Thanks Hamish.

Compression tights, sleep and stretching are all part of my routine.

Where does the cold water fit in??
User avatar StinkFist
Junior Member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Jun 2015 19:06
Location: You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You.

Recovery vs. Adaptation

01 Jul 2015 17:28

CoachFergie wrote:cold water, compression garments


Just to throw a little curve into this topic, I would like to raise the issue of recovery vs. adaptation. Cold water and compression garments are effective at speeding recovery. They do that by reducing inflammation. But, the inflammatory response is an important link in the training/adaptation chain. Hence its use in regular training may be counterproductive. In a worst case scenario, you might completely recover from the previous session but gain no adaptation. Hence you would be exactly as fit today as you were yesterday but never get any better. Groundhog day.
For tournaments or repeated days of racing, yes, these techniques are really helpful.
Cheers,
Jim
PhitBoy
Junior Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: 18 Jun 2015 18:58

01 Jul 2015 17:46

My legs just feel great when I have my Skins on......I trekked 26 continuous days in the Nepalese Himalaya's up to 5200m and wore them every day :)

Post any ride (not in the summer though) I have them on and quite often sleep in them.
User avatar StinkFist
Junior Member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Jun 2015 19:06
Location: You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You.

Re: Recovery vs. Adaptation

01 Jul 2015 18:21

PhitBoy wrote:
CoachFergie wrote:cold water, compression garments


Just to throw a little curve into this topic, I would like to raise the issue of recovery vs. adaptation. Cold water and compression garments are effective at speeding recovery. They do that by reducing inflammation. But, the inflammatory response is an important link in the training/adaptation chain. Hence its use in regular training may be counterproductive. In a worst case scenario, you might completely recover from the previous session but gain no adaptation. Hence you would be exactly as fit today as you were yesterday but never get any better. Groundhog day.
For tournaments or repeated days of racing, yes, these techniques are really helpful.
Cheers,
Jim


That's a good point. Perhaps we need to periodise this like most things. One of the side observations of my research was that the majority of participants were in a state of non functional overreaching and one was fully overtrained in a competition phase. Bit like me losing weight. The drop in calories verses what my fitbit tells me I'm burning equation seems to be going out of whack, probably as metabolism slows down and hormones like leptin's levels drop.

Cold water immersion. Cold, not freezing, water immersion for 5-10mins is proposed to have some performance benefits. Evidence is scant at best but again many find a benefit in the same form as compression garments and massage.
Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz
User avatar CoachFergie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,638
Joined: 21 Apr 2009 21:36
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Re: Recovery vs. Adaptation

01 Jul 2015 22:38

CoachFergie wrote:Perhaps we need to periodise this like most things.


I've had the idea that it might be beneficial to go for hot tub after a workout. Could have the opposite effect of maximizing the inflammatory response and thereby maximizing adaptation. Might make you feel like you had done twice the ride but maybe you'd get twice the payback in training effect.
Cheers,
Jim
PhitBoy
Junior Member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: 18 Jun 2015 18:58

01 Jul 2015 23:03

I've found that a hot-cold combination is what usually works best for me, if nothing else it helps me get to sleep much easier.

Rollers are great for releasing quads, ITB's, TFL and groin and can also be used along your back. Balls like the one I linked to are best for pressure points such as glutes. Physios and soft tissue therapists are the best source on how to use these tools, with some even offering self massage courses.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,293
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: How do you workout on the bike ?

02 Jul 2015 17:10

I love my foam roller as well. That thing has helped me so much with tight calfs or painful thigs. It's a real good thing!

Any particular sessions you guys are extra fond of ?

I have one I call "Tripwire intervals", but I cannot remember where the name came from. But it goes like this, and is effecient if you have 1½ hour available.

(zones are watt, and I just plugged my data in there)

30 min warm up @ zone 2 (140-180)
5 min @ zone 4 (250-280)
2 min @ zone 2
4 min @ zone 5 (280-320)
2 min @ zone 2
3 min @ zone 6 (320-360)
2 min @ zone 2
2 min @ zone 6+ (340-360)
2 min @ zone 2
1 min @ zone 7 (360-400)
30 min cool down @ zone 2 (140-180)
User avatar danielovichdk2
Junior Member
 
Posts: 95
Joined: 18 Mar 2015 07:28

Re:

02 Jul 2015 17:10

42x16ss wrote:I've found that a hot-cold combination is what usually works best for me, if nothing else it helps me get to sleep much easier.

Rollers are great for releasing quads, ITB's, TFL and groin and can also be used along your back. Balls like the one I linked to are best for pressure points such as glutes. Physios and soft tissue therapists are the best source on how to use these tools, with some even offering self massage courses.


Thanks 42.

I'm going to look into the "Rollers" option as I have plenty of Delayed Muscle Soreness these days and also need to stretch / work some muscle groups to assist with a lower back condition.
User avatar StinkFist
Junior Member
 
Posts: 81
Joined: 12 Jun 2015 19:06
Location: You Wouldn't Believe Me If I Told You.

Re: How do you workout on the bike ?

02 Jul 2015 22:37

danielovichdk2 wrote:I love my foam roller as well. That thing has helped me so much with tight calfs or painful thigs. It's a real good thing!

Any particular sessions you guys are extra fond of ?

I have one I call "Tripwire intervals", but I cannot remember where the name came from. But it goes like this, and is effecient if you have 1½ hour available.

(zones are watt, and I just plugged my data in there)

30 min warm up @ zone 2 (140-180)
5 min @ zone 4 (250-280)
2 min @ zone 2
4 min @ zone 5 (280-320)
2 min @ zone 2
3 min @ zone 6 (320-360)
2 min @ zone 2
2 min @ zone 6+ (340-360)
2 min @ zone 2
1 min @ zone 7 (360-400)
30 min cool down @ zone 2 (140-180)

I like to do a similar session when I'm a few weeks out from a big race and switching from base to speedwork. I'll either do a session very similar to the one you wrote on either my local crit circuit or on the trainer, or a hill repeat session on a local 2km climb (7% average).

When I use the hill, I'll do my first repeat seated and spinning at around 80-90 rpm then aim for 8-10 repeats, with negative split each time. I'll stop when I reach my upper goal or can no longer hold a negative split, whichever comes first.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,293
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

20 Mar 2016 08:06

I ride bike twice a week.Running 5km twice a week.
DrewPowell
New Member
 
Posts: 15
Joined: 19 Mar 2016 10:20


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top