Log in:  

Register

Upper-body training for cyclists

Moderator: Tonton

Upper-body training for cyclists

02 Jun 2016 21:26

This is pathetic.

Image

Image

I've got a big upper body and I manage to win a few races here and there every season. Sure, I win at the amateur level, but blokes with better genetics than mine should be able to do the same in pro races.
Last edited by CheckMyPecs on 02 Jun 2016 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

02 Jun 2016 21:27

Why? Because it is all about power to weight ratio and upper body muscles are just an extra weight :cool:
User avatar Jancouver
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,313
Joined: 14 Mar 2009 22:03
Location: San Diego, USA

Re:

02 Jun 2016 21:28

Jancouver wrote:Why? Because it is all about power to weight ratio and upper body muscles are just an extra weight :cool:

It's better to lose a few seconds than to lose your dignity.

Image
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

Re: Re:

02 Jun 2016 21:31

CheckMyPecs wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Why? Because it is all about power to weight ratio and upper body muscles are just an extra weight :cool:

It's better to lose a few seconds than to lose your dignity.


Username coherent with argument.
User avatar MikeTichondrius
Member
 
Posts: 490
Joined: 21 Jun 2014 23:12
Location: Lisbon

Re: Re:

02 Jun 2016 21:34

MikeTichondrius wrote:
CheckMyPecs wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Why? Because it is all about power to weight ratio and upper body muscles are just an extra weight :cool:

It's better to lose a few seconds than to lose your dignity.


Username coherent with argument.

I can think of many reasons why cyclists should train their upper bodies to boost their performance:

*stronger forearms mean cyclists can grip their handlebar better and thus prevent falls
*stronger abs and core muscles protect the spine and help prevent back injuries

etc.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

Re: Re:

02 Jun 2016 21:38

CheckMyPecs wrote:
MikeTichondrius wrote:
CheckMyPecs wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Why? Because it is all about power to weight ratio and upper body muscles are just an extra weight :cool:

It's better to lose a few seconds than to lose your dignity.


Username coherent with argument.

I can think of many reasons why cyclists should train their upper bodies to boost their performance:

*stronger forearms mean cyclists can grip their handlebar better and thus prevent falls
*stronger abs and core muscles protect the spine and help prevent back injuries

etc.

Dude :o

Probably time to call it a night.
User avatar DFA123
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,870
Joined: 07 Nov 2010 16:00
Location: Valencia

02 Jun 2016 21:41

Case in point: Peter Sagan in this year's Paris-Roubaix.

Image
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

02 Jun 2016 21:41

If you think they neglect core workouts you are wrong.
Anyway, Armstrong was a triathlete, coming from swimming with a ogood upper body development. Not necessary. They have to ride their bikes, not lift them
Flat Out
New Member
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 18 Sep 2015 07:48
Location: Firenze, Italy

Re:

02 Jun 2016 21:43

Flat Out wrote:If you think they neglect core workouts you are wrong.
Anyway, Armstrong was a triathlete, coming from swimming with a ogood upper body development. Not necessary. They have to ride their bikes, not lift them

Honest to God, I can't look at these pictures of Brajkovic and Feillu and believe these guys train their core.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

02 Jun 2016 21:51

Classics riders are different though and can afford slightly more muscle mass because they don't have to climb as much.

And yes, a stronger core and more musculature helps prevent bone injuries. The reason cyclists break so many bones when they fall is partly because there's no muscle to protect them. But it doesn't help them climb faster, so they'll take the risk knowing that when they fall they will break their collarbone just to have a higher power/weight ratio.

It's pretty simple really. Sumo wrestlers and road race cyclists are two polar opposites of the spectrum of sportsmen in terms of body shape. Cyclists are pretty repulsive, but that's not the point.
User avatar jsem94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,597
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 18:24
Location: Örebro, Sweden

02 Jun 2016 21:52

You rarely need your arms in order to win a bike race. :p

Of course it's a bit more complicated than that... sprinters and classic specialists tend to have stronger upper-bodies than climbers.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,728
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

02 Jun 2016 21:54

CheckMyPecs wrote:
MikeTichondrius wrote:
CheckMyPecs wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Why? Because it is all about power to weight ratio and upper body muscles are just an extra weight :cool:

It's better to lose a few seconds than to lose your dignity.


Username coherent with argument.

I can think of many reasons why cyclists should train their upper bodies to boost their performance:

*stronger forearms mean cyclists can grip their handlebar better and thus prevent falls
*stronger abs and core muscles protect the spine and help prevent back injuries

etc.

Many of the best bike handlers and descenders in the peloton are actually climbers with skinny arms.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,393
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

02 Jun 2016 21:55

But even Greipel who call the Gorilla isn't actually all the big, it's just by cycling standards. It's not like he has the upper body of a swimmer. Not even close.
User avatar jsem94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,597
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 18:24
Location: Örebro, Sweden

02 Jun 2016 21:56

Look at what I found (apparently written by a doctor):

In my experience, many cyclists are riding bikes that are too big for them and many cyclists lack proper flexibility and/or their core strength is lacking. Take the time and have your bike fitted to your body. Also, back pain can arise from anatomical causes like leg length discrepancy or misalignment of your spine.

http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/how-to-avoid-lower-back-pain-while-cycling
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

02 Jun 2016 21:59

Kittel seems pretty big, even for a normal person. Sagan has a pretty slim upper body but it isn't skinny, just slim. I mean, bones aren't visible.
Last edited by Brullnux on 02 Jun 2016 22:00, edited 1 time in total.
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,531
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

02 Jun 2016 22:00

Another occasion when Lance's upper body saved the day:

Image
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

02 Jun 2016 22:02

IMO if you have a stronger arms its easier to ride off the saddle for a long period of time (otoh AC doesnt support this theory :p)
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,232
Joined: 04 Aug 2010 12:00
Location: Prague

Re:

02 Jun 2016 22:05

ILovecycling wrote:IMO if you have a stronger arms its easier to ride off the saddle for a long period of time (otoh AC doesnt support this theory :p)

Think it was a GCN-episode, where Matt was riding with Alberto, asking him if he ever trained his arm muscles for "out of the saddle"-style. Alberto just looked at him like he was stupid :D
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,393
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

02 Jun 2016 22:08

Can't help but wonder why you seem to care so much about this.
Yes, pro-cyclists tend to be rather skinny.
Yes, it does look rather silly.
But... does it matter to you?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,728
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

Re: Re:

02 Jun 2016 22:08

CheckMyPecs wrote:
Jancouver wrote:Why? Because it is all about power to weight ratio and upper body muscles are just an extra weight :cool:

It's better to lose a few seconds than to lose your dignity.


Your dignity has nothing to do with how your upper body looks. The majority of people work out because they are insecure about themselves/their bodies, and gain self-esteem by making themselves stronger, often in the hope of becoming more attractive to the opposite sex (or the same sex for that matter)

Road and track cyclists have absolutely nothing to gain from gaining muscle on their upper body (except maybe to a very limited extent the cobbles specialists)
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,145
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top