Log in:  

Register

Upper-body training for cyclists

Moderator: Tonton

Re: Upper-body training for cyclists

29 Jun 2016 11:51

You can even win Paris-Roubaix while being skinny. :eek:
Image
Anderis
Member
 
Posts: 1,598
Joined: 10 May 2013 20:16

Re: Upper-body training for cyclists

29 Jun 2016 17:19

Anderis wrote:You can even win Paris-Roubaix while being skinny. :eek:

That pic is from last year, not 2011. ;)

Wikipedia says Johan's lost 3 kg of body weight since winning Paris-Roubaix. It would explain why his performances in recent years have been so... disappointing.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

Re: Upper-body training for cyclists

29 Jun 2016 20:40

CheckMyPecs wrote:
Anderis wrote:You can even win Paris-Roubaix while being skinny. :eek:

That pic is from last year, not 2011. ;)

Wikipedia says Johan's lost 3 kg of body weight since winning Paris-Roubaix. It would explain why his performances in recent years have been so... disappointing.


I doubt losing 3kg had anything to do with it. Anyhow, 10 years ago due to work and family commitments I didn't have the time to ride on the road mid week. So I did all my mid week training in a gym next to my office. Upper body work was mainly limited to body weight exercises like chin ups and push-ups and bench press usually 3 sets of 12-15 reps - not huge weights. The idea was to keep the heart rate up for the full workout. I also did a lot of core strengthening work which was awesome. The workout program usually took about 90 minutes but crucially included two sets of high intensity intervals on a bike machine where I monitored my power output and heart rate plus a 2km warm down on a treadmill. The entire workout including weights was primarily aerobic.

Anyhow on this program I was able to get fit enough to win my club races on Sundays against guys who only rode on the road. But when you are on your limit on a long climb any extra upper body muscle isn't going to help you. The main advantage of weights if done right is to build lean muscle without adding bulk and strip off fat. It can work as a substitute as long as supplemented by high intensity aerobic training.

ps - sorry all for bumping this thread. :o
Cookster15
Member
 
Posts: 966
Joined: 14 May 2011 19:25

Re: Upper-body training for cyclists

30 Jun 2016 09:45

Cookster15 wrote:Anyhow, 10 years ago due to work and family commitments I didn't have the time to ride on the road mid week. So I did all my mid week training in a gym next to my office. Upper body work was mainly limited to body weight exercises like chin ups and push-ups and bench press usually 3 sets of 12-15 reps - not huge weights. The idea was to keep the heart rate up for the full workout. I also did a lot of core strengthening work which was awesome. The workout program usually took about 90 minutes but crucially included two sets of high intensity intervals on a bike machine where I monitored my power output and heart rate plus a 2km warm down on a treadmill. The entire workout including weights was primarily aerobic.

Anyhow on this program I was able to get fit enough to win my club races on Sundays against guys who only rode on the road.

Let's look at this from a rationalist perspective.

1) You have a theory, namely that upper-body training is detrimental to cycling performance
2) The observations do not match your theory (in your very own experience!)

What would a rational person do: assume the observations are wrong or assume the theory is wrong?
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

09 Jul 2016 17:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGf6tXrKUtY

Froome clearly been working on his upper body as a result of this thread, which led to his success today
User avatar PremierAndrew
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,525
Joined: 09 May 2014 18:47

Re:

09 Jul 2016 23:28

PremierAndrew wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGf6tXrKUtY

Froome clearly been working on his upper body as a result of this thread, which led to his success today

You beat me to the punch! I was going to say a little heavy bag, some speed bag, and then some sparring.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,406
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Re:

10 Jul 2016 00:29

CheckMyPecs wrote:

For me the real flaw in the study you cite was this:

Most of the original power pose findings were tested in a social context, with real experimenters and participants engaging in social tasks. The replication, however, removed all interactions with other people so that they could not unknowingly bias the participants.


Seeing as "power" is a social construct and exerted in relation to others, it seems reasonable to think the testosterone rush and cortisol decrease would only occur if your brain believes you are in a position to exert that power over other members of your "herd".


You seem to be conflating two entirely separate meanings of the word 'power'.
choose life choose a car choose smack choose gullibility choose marx choose opium choose religion choose masses
-blackcat
Cannibal72
Member
 
Posts: 953
Joined: 06 Feb 2016 20:49

Re: Upper-body training for cyclists

10 Jul 2016 11:54

CheckMyPecs wrote:
Anderis wrote:You can even win Paris-Roubaix while being skinny. :eek:

That pic is from last year, not 2011. ;)

Wikipedia says Johan's lost 3 kg of body weight since winning Paris-Roubaix. It would explain why his performances in recent years have been so... disappointing.


Has anyone ever claimed that having a muscular upper-body can't be beneficial for a classic specialist, it's for GC riders it's not very useful.
And of course, as has been mentioned several times, the fact that the GC riders don't have clearly defined muscles in their upper-bodies doesn't mean they don't train their upper-bodies.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran
 
Posts: 8,170
Joined: 05 May 2010 13:47
Location: Viking Land! (Aros)

10 Jul 2016 18:48

Cannibal72 wrote:You seem to be conflating two entirely separate meanings of the word 'power'.

Social power will not directly give you an extra 200 watts. But its physiological effect is real: social power boosts natural testosterone production, which in turn increases muscle growth and improves cardiovascular health, translating into extra watts on the bicycle.

http://www.menshealth.com/tags/testosterone
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

Re: Upper-body training for cyclists

10 Jul 2016 19:26

CheckMyPecs wrote:
Cookster15 wrote:Anyhow, 10 years ago due to work and family commitments I didn't have the time to ride on the road mid week. So I did all my mid week training in a gym next to my office. Upper body work was mainly limited to body weight exercises like chin ups and push-ups and bench press usually 3 sets of 12-15 reps - not huge weights. The idea was to keep the heart rate up for the full workout. I also did a lot of core strengthening work which was awesome. The workout program usually took about 90 minutes but crucially included two sets of high intensity intervals on a bike machine where I monitored my power output and heart rate plus a 2km warm down on a treadmill. The entire workout including weights was primarily aerobic.

Anyhow on this program I was able to get fit enough to win my club races on Sundays against guys who only rode on the road.

Let's look at this from a rationalist perspective.

1) You have a theory, namely that upper-body training is detrimental to cycling performance
2) The observations do not match your theory (in your very own experience!)

What would a rational person do: assume the observations are wrong or assume the theory is wrong?


What a way to pick out the things you want to hear.
User avatar Kwibus
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,210
Joined: 25 May 2010 05:54
Location: the Netherlands

11 Jul 2016 06:41

RedheadDane wrote:And of course, as has been mentioned several times, the fact that the GC riders don't have clearly defined muscles in their upper-bodies doesn't mean they don't train their upper-bodies.

Upper-body strength gain has its benefits, but the real advantage comes from increased upper-body muscle mass (i.e. muscle hypertrophy or, in plain terms, big muscles). That's because there's a limit to how strong a muscle can become before it needs to grow bigger.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

13 Jul 2016 02:03

Sorry, but Track Cycling Sprinters don't do a lot of upper body work and they certainly don't try and gain upper body muscle. NZ and Aussie Sprinters actually look even more freakish with large legs and average upper bodies.
Hamish Ferguson
coachfergblog.blogspot.co.nz
User avatar CoachFergie
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,650
Joined: 21 Apr 2009 21:36
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Back to top
cron