Register

Total Hip Replacement recovery

Moderator: Tonton

21 Apr 2010 22:18

April 21st - regular rehab, Same exercises as before: side left leg adduction, left leg raises, bridging, quad leg raises w/ weight, toe raises, half squats, side stepping on a box ( a little higher today) but more sets/reps. Went back and did another 30 minutes on a recumbent stationary bike. Came home and got 20 min. of ice. Walking better w/o a cane, although still using one. Feeling like it's healing.
User avatar daviel

22 Apr 2010 22:26

Apr. 22nd: an hour on the recumbent stationary bike, then home and iced down the leg. The ice is really a valuable treatment and I think it encourages healing. Later on went to McKinney, Texas, about an hour away, to set up our PA, monitors, mics, amplifiers, etc. for my return to playing musical engagements (hereafter called gigs) after surgery. Friday night - 4/23 - First gig after the surgery. It will be 7pm to 12m - and I feel like I have the energy, so we'll see. Our R&B group is playing the St. George's Day fest at a pub in McKinney. I was able to manage the two keyboard amps (on wheels), stand, and misc gear up stairs to the venue. I was careful and treated it like another rehab session. It worked fine. I was surprised at being able to manage. More ice on the hip tonight.
User avatar daviel

23 Apr 2010 18:13

4/23 - Rehab today: Left hip flexor a little sore - probasbly from over-use last night. 20 min recumbent sta. bike warmup; 2x15 w/ 1lb weight: laying on back left leg adductions; 30 glute squeeze-bridges [ball between knees]; cylinder under knee - 30x2 raises; leg raises left (on back) 15 x2 with 1 lb weight; on rt side 2x15 with 1 lb. adduction raises left leg; 30 toe raises; 30 side step to left on to a box; 15x2 squats back against an inflated exercise ball. Home and more ice. I'm using the load-out at the gig tonight as extra rehab. Hope I hold up.
User avatar daviel

24 Apr 2010 15:43

Gig load out went OK. Several up and down stairs trips with gear, but handling the thing carefully and doing it leading with the left (bad) leg and then the good one made it just like an extra rehab session. Iced it down at home. Same song second verse tonight but no stairs! I'm doing an hour recumbent bike this morning. It's nice to be able to have the energy to play these engagements. It's like I have more energy than I had before the surgery. I am looking forward to a rehearsal Monday night - first one in a long while - now that I can drive and hold up! After tonight, the next one is May 8th! So far rehab has been very successful. I am grateful that I had good surgeon who is fast, and an excellent physical therapist.
User avatar daviel

Total Hip Replacement

24 Apr 2010 21:20

i had a THR in april 2008. after 10 days in hospital i went to rehab
for 3 weeks. 10 weeks after op i started cycling on my mtb very carefully. i`ve had to lift up the saddle as high as possible, but it was
very painful. so the first few rides were very short, but it was getting better day by day. a few weeks later the saddle had reached the normal
position like before op.
i was able to increase my training step by step and now i`m riding
about 10.000 km/year primary on my race-bike. that is more than before op. i have no problems at all, specially no pain and i`m very
glad with the THR ( it is a BHR like floyd landis ).
Keep on trying, but be patient an carefully.
janmiguel
Newly Registered Member

25 Apr 2010 01:24

well done! that's very good news. Thanks for the information -- and keep up the good work!
User avatar daviel

27 Apr 2010 04:47

Monday 4-26 - same exercises as Friday and added some leg movements (fwd, side and back - left leg only) with elastic band resistance. hour on the recumbent bike.
User avatar daviel

27 Apr 2010 20:36

Doctor appointment - x-rayed the hip. Dr said the hip looks good. Dr said I can start riding and swimming. Great! I had the surgery on March 22 and it's a little over 4 weeks. I am a little ahead of schedule functionally - asked Dr for 2 more weeks of PT, which he prescribed for me. I can pretty much go back to doing what I was doing - so I am introducing crunches, push-ups and pullups (on an assist machine for now). I return in 2 months for follow-up. Rest day - yard work!
User avatar daviel

29 Apr 2010 02:18

4-28: Same set of exercises except added 2x20 squats. 45 min. aerobics on recumbent stationary bike. I'll have two weeks of rehab, M-W-F and then I am through. I expect it will continue as it has so far. I am going to cease reporting on it unless there is a radical change. I can't stress enough how good the rehabilitation with physical therapist has been for me. If you have this operation, you are well advised to work at the rehab! I will continue the aerobics and I am adding bike riding and swimming. I just hope this has been useful to anybody thinking about a hip replacement. All in all I am glad I could have it, and I am not at all apprehensive about my right hip, whose turn is coming one of these days.
User avatar daviel

29 Apr 2010 22:34

4-29: 30 minutes on an old model Schwinn Aerodyne that I bought from a friend for $50.00. I rode the singlespeed around the block - it's real windy here. The bulk of my exercise today was doing yardwork! All's right with the world.
User avatar daviel

30 Apr 2010 12:49

I have had a pretty good experience so far. It's been since March 22nd - about 6 weeks. This was the invasive surgery. I was told they have a non-invasive kind, too, but I don't know anything about it. I am delighted with my surgeon, the hospital and the rehabilitation facilities here in Waxahachie, Texas. Although my upper left leg, around the scar, is kind of tight, I can walk ok. It is better every day and the extra 2 weeks of PT will be good. I must remember not to cross the left leg over the right, don't twist it and don't do the "heisman" pose (see the statue of the Heisman trophy). I have a couple of metric centuries and a traditional fort worth to dallas fixed gear ride in my sights. I am ok to swim laps again. I have the energy and stamina to go back to work full time next week and to practice piano at home [that takes energy, too], play the occasional musical engagements and rehearse. I can do yard work, but I can't run with the dogs, darn it! When my right hip starts going out I will know what to expect. I am told by another patient (with another surgeon - the one I initially was going to, but switched to a local Dr) that full recovery takes a year. I hope this has been useful to anyone facing a hip replacement. When you're right out of surgery and the leg is swollen it's pretty uncomfortable; but it gets better fast if you just follow the directions on the box!

-30-
User avatar daviel

Bad Crash

12 May 2010 11:41

Three weeks ago i crashed in a sprint finish and broke my thigh high up near the hip in three places and my right arm just below the shoulder joint a bit of a mess, they could not repair my leg so replaced my hip i am 63 years old and still hoping to ride a bike again but feeling pretty depressed has anybody had the same and recovered.

Paul
p.shoobridge
Newly Registered Member

20 May 2010 13:05

I bet you can recover and get back on the bike.
User avatar daviel

Hip replacement abroad

30 May 2012 08:16

Have you ever considered having hip replacement abroad namely in Lithuania? It is becoming an alternative for people who suffer from knee damage, but cannot afford high prices at home. The key issue here seems to be to find the right surgeon and reliable clinic. It is just something to consider. What do you think?
orthopaedics
Newly Registered Member

Just had a THR

22 Jan 2013 02:24

Last August, I broke a 300 mile cycling record across Wisconsin. About 4 months later, while on a leisurely ride the day before Christmas eve, I slipped on some ice and fractured my femur. On Christmas eve, I had the THR. I also had some arthritis in that same hip socket.

Today at my physical therapy session, about 4 weeks later, I got on a Schwinn Airdyne for about 5 minutes. I had the biggest smile on my face. I went back to the bike shop I wrench at and told everybody, "I rode today!"

My co-workers at the shop organized a fundraiser for me last Friday to help cover some of my medical expenses. They sold spots on the computrainers for a minimum $50 donation and had a raffle. Our vendors donated prizes for the raffle. After they added told us how much money was raised and my wife heard, she began to cry. It was almost the exact amount that the insurance company won't be covering. We were so blessed by the support we received by all the people in the cycling community.

The event was so much fun for everybody, and it was the perfect thing for Wisconsin cyclists with cabin fever to "justify" riding a century (solo or on a team) on a cold January day. I've decided, as a way to "pay it forward", I'm going to organize a similar fundraiser each winter in our shop, for some local charity. It's a great way to help people get motivated at a time of year, after the holidays, when it's just difficult to get off your rear end and ride.
Here's a link to a few pictures of the event:
http://www.pbase.com/marke/wheel_and_sprocket_fundraiser

And the Facebook event link:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#!/events/470320419669801/permalink/476347432400433/?notif_t=like
marathon marke

22 Jan 2013 06:02

Good on ya MarathonMarke. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Local fund raiser at local shop is always good to see.
User avatar knewcleardaze

03 Feb 2013 02:47

knewcleardaze wrote:Good on ya MarathonMarke. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Local fund raiser at local shop is always good to see.

Thanks, knewcleardaze. I've just started to ride indoors. Easy 30 minute spins right now, but it feels so good! :D
marathon marke

01 Mar 2013 14:34

Hi guys. I also need to your help. I have also suffer in this case. And you already post most informative threads. I would like thanks to all of you for your this kindness.
helas101
Newly Registered Member

01 Mar 2013 15:51

Just saw this thread.

A few years ago my dad crashed his bike while carefully crossing railway tracks and broke his hip. At his...err...advanced age I figured his cycling days were over. As some of you probably know, a broken hip can lead to complications that can even be fatal. Fortunately the surgeon realized that my dad wasn't "normal" ;) so she asked if he wouldn't mind putting off the replacement surgery for a few days until a more suitable (durable) model was available. No he didn't mind. ;)

He now jokes that if he crashes while riding track he may end up getting his right hip replaced to match the left.

He would be the 1st to admit that when it comes to walking the new hip isn't the greatest, but for cycling? XLNT!

Here's a pic taken a few months ago on his 90th birthday.

"It's the biggest setback I've ever had in my cycling career*, so it's a new experience for me."
~ Lance Armstrong 2009 ~
*collar bone fracture
User avatar FitSsikS

28 Apr 2014 13:42

I had my left hip replace 4/17/2014, the surgeon did the anterior approach, this method doesn't require cutting of muscle or nerves. Swelling and trauma are still a factor. I am and have been up and walking with a cane since the day after surgery. Started PT 5 days after with a visiting therapist. And I am 66 and new to this site.
gregscott
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to General