broken chain wrote:I recently had surgery for an Inguinal hernia.How long a recovery process before I can get back on the bike?
A little personal information:58 yrs. old,excellent physical condition,37 bpm rhr,can hold 82% of max hr for an hour.8% body fat,170 lbs. 5'10".I do some weightlifting for tone and 20 min. a day core work.5 days a week.
Doctor says He won't release me to work for minimum 6 to 8 weeks because my job entails pulling,pushing and lifting.
How should I start out?Duration,intensity etc.?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
philiboy wrote:I will have this surgery next week... I am so scared... i dont know if I could be in the same shape after surgery:(
broken chain wrote:I'm 20 days into recovery,was in excellent physical condition before surgery.
The way I feel now leads me to believe I won't be riding for at least another month:(
Thanks for your concern,I didn't want to have the surgery either but did so on the advice of my doctor.I didn't have any pain except for a slight strained feeling every now and again.I attributed this to maybe just a routine muscle pull.Biciclette Bianchi wrote:I'm sorry to hear this. I've got a double Inguinal hernia, but I'm doing all that I can to put off surgery. Maybe I'll do something about it in the fall (when racing is pretty well done). Still your experience is serving to convince me that there is no real upside to having the surgery. Really, is waiting all that bad (other than the quite visible bulges when I'm wearing bibs)? Worst case is emergency surgery in the ER. Is that really any worse than doing elective surgery? I hope that you are feeling better soon, and quickly regain your fitness.
broken chain wrote:In the end run the choice is yours(I wanted to wait also)but Doc scared the heck out of me!
Good luck with whatever route you choose to take.
Biciclette Bianchi wrote:I'm glad that you are agiin able to get on the bike. I know that it's not much, but it's a start.
As for me, I did discuss this with my doctor. He said that I there's no real harm in letting it go. Of course the danger is that intestine will get strangulated. He said that if this were to occur, there would be no doubt about it and that I would be in the ER for emergency surgery. I decided that this is a risk that I will take until the fall... We'll see how it goes.
Again, good luck to you with your recovery.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guestsBack to top