We've just released a fix to an issue with the galleries, which caused lots of readers problems. The issue mainly affected people using iPads, however some other readers also had issues with the way galleries loaded and behaved. They should now work without causing page loading problems.
This was a significant issue for us to resolve, which took longer than expected. Instead of just fixing the broken code, we ended up having to build the gallery from scratch. This should mean the fix we've deployed is much, much better.
We will post other updates to the site in this thread. Please feel free to ask questions about any of the fixes