Register

brand names creating links

Home for all your redesign feedback. We'll make all our important announcements here too!

Moderator: Red Rick

brand names creating links

06 May 2017 08:26

how come typing n!ke and ad!das in athletics thread created links

to said websites?

Mark L

and it's done it here..........is this corporate policy or sites been hacked?

edited words to stop
User avatar ebandit

Re: brand names creating links

06 May 2017 14:18

ebandit wrote:how come typing n!ke and ad!das in athletics thread created links

to said websites?

Mark L

and it's done it here..........is this corporate policy or sites been hacked?

edited words to stop

It's actually a service called skimworks that the BikeRadar site uses, but since we're somehow tied to that site we're stuck with it too. It can't be shut off on this site without it being shut off on both, so they keep it on.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

06 May 2017 14:44

I guess that if we notice that our posts have picked up such a link, we could always do readers the service of editing the post to tell them that the link is a commercial intrusion, not something we are recommending or deliberately directing them to.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

06 May 2017 14:51

Armchair cyclist wrote:I guess that if we notice that our posts have picked up such a link, we could always do readers the service of editing the post to tell them that the link is a commercial intrusion, not something we are recommending or deliberately directing them to.

That would be doing a great service to our readers, as I can't imagine that there's a single forum member that wants to read them.

I despise the fact that they're stuffed down our throats at the behest of bikeradar. But, there's nothing I can do about it except ask everyone to do their best to not participate in creating the links.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Re:

06 May 2017 16:44

Irondan wrote:
Armchair cyclist wrote:I guess that if we notice that our posts have picked up such a link, we could always do readers the service of editing the post to tell them that the link is a commercial intrusion, not something we are recommending or deliberately directing them to.

That would be doing a great service to our readers, as I can't imagine that there's a single forum member that wants to read them.

I despise the fact that they're stuffed down our throats at the behest of bikeradar. But, there's nothing I can do about it except ask everyone to do their best to not participate in creating the links.

I expected to be reprimanded by an admin for proposing an undermining of revenue.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re: Re:

06 May 2017 16:49

Armchair cyclist wrote:
Irondan wrote:

I expected to be reprimanded by an admin for proposing an undermining of revenue.

Nope.

The Cyclingnews website does not collect any revenue from the "Skimlinks" script that's running in the forum. Just the Bikeradar site stands to gain any revenue generated from the clicks.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Return to About the website