Register

Disable Ad-Blocking?

Home for all your redesign feedback. We'll make all our important announcements here too!

Moderators: Daniel Benson, Eshnar, Susan Westemeyer, Irondan

Disable Ad-Blocking?

28 Feb 2018 19:01

So this is new. We're going with the "Annoy people into using our site" strategy now? Not even a suggestion, but a modal window that only allows you to disable ad blocker?

I'd be curious to see today's page view stats versus before you put up the modal.

There are other news sites.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

28 Feb 2018 19:12

At least it's not a catch-all, so even with uBlock disabled, I still don't see any ads. I can understand why they want to fight ad-blockers, but if it means I have to be disturbed by intrusive or particular ugly ads, I'll find an ad-free alternative.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

28 Feb 2018 20:54

I've yet to get bombarded by the ads you guys are talking about. I'm using google chrome with "adblock" and "flashcontrol" extensions enabled which seems to do the trick. I'm not saying that this is what you should use from now on, I'm just saying that maybe you can add a different ad block app to get rid of these intrusions.

Cheers :)
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

01 Mar 2018 05:46

I'm using Firefox and it's allowing me to use adblock....
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Re:

01 Mar 2018 10:58

Jspear wrote:I'm using Firefox and it's allowing me to use adblock....

I'm using Firefox and it isn't allowing me to use adblock. What do you have over them?

It's nice to be able to avoid intrusions, and I'm not going to claim any moral high ground (I fast forward through the TV ads too), but I''m noticing more and more site rejecting adblockers over the last month or so (new software available to site builders?), and we shouldn't really expect a service while denying their revenue stream indefinitely.

Cycling fans, of all people, ought to be well-practised at mentally blotting out advertising. We don't try to discuss who will ride for Abarca Sports in the Giro, or compare the status of Strade Bianche with the Maastricht-Valkenburg Race.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

Re:

01 Mar 2018 15:07

Irondan wrote:I've yet to get bombarded by the ads you guys are talking about. I'm using google chrome with "adblock" and "flashcontrol" extensions enabled which seems to do the trick. I'm not saying that this is what you should use from now on, I'm just saying that maybe you can add a different ad block app to get rid of these intrusions.

Cheers :)

I"m using Chrome ad block.

It's dumb.

User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Re: Re:

02 Mar 2018 04:25

Armchair cyclist wrote:
Jspear wrote:I'm using Firefox and it's allowing me to use adblock....

I'm using Firefox and it isn't allowing me to use adblock. What do you have over them?

It's nice to be able to avoid intrusions, and I'm not going to claim any moral high ground (I fast forward through the TV ads too), but I''m noticing more and more site rejecting adblockers over the last month or so (new software available to site builders?), and we shouldn't really expect a service while denying their revenue stream indefinitely.

Cycling fans, of all people, ought to be well-practised at mentally blotting out advertising. We don't try to discuss who will ride for Abarca Sports in the Giro, or compare the status of Strade Bianche with the Maastricht-Valkenburg Race.

I'm sorry...I'm not following your question "what do you have over them?"

I'll just say what I'm using.

Firefox Quantom 58.0.2 (64-bit) and I'm using Adblock Plus. Now, when I go into options on Adblock plus, I've checked the box for "allow acceptable ads." "Acceptable Ads are not annoying and do not interfere with the content you are viewing. Read more about the Acceptable Ads criteria"

Maybe that's what is letting me keep adblock on...
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

03 Mar 2018 14:12

Wow I'm not seeing any ads or requests to turn off my adblocker. I'm using Chrome with AdBlocker Plus extension.
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali becomes only the 6th winner of all 3 GTS (2014)!
Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

Re:

03 Mar 2018 15:00

Carols wrote:Wow I'm not seeing any ads or requests to turn off my adblocker. I'm using Chrome with AdBlocker Plus extension.

On the main site, or on the forum?
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Re:

03 Mar 2018 15:19

Netserk wrote:
Carols wrote:Wow I'm not seeing any ads or requests to turn off my adblocker. I'm using Chrome with AdBlocker Plus extension.

On the main site, or on the forum?

Main web site. Isn't that where people are complaining about?
Alberto Contador=Legend!

Nibali joins Gimondi, Merckx and Hinault as only the 4th man to win all 3 GTS and 2 different Monuments (2018). A throwback rider in this age of specialization. Bravo!
User avatar Carols
Veteran

03 Mar 2018 15:30

Yes, just thought it could've been a misunderstanding.

I'm not sure about the mechanism, but when I turn it on now, it asks me to disable it, but when I then visit the site again in private browsing, there's no fuss with it enabled.
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

06 Mar 2018 18:08

At least the forum seems to be unaffected so far. I will give the main site a miss for now. Having spent a few days with it Whitelisted it seems slow to load sometimes (just like using IE) and then I got an untrusted site message from my AV
User avatar Eyeballs Out

06 Mar 2018 18:50

I finally got the ad block warning.

It's a giant PITA...
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

07 Mar 2018 13:58

Irondan wrote:I finally got the ad block warning.

It's a giant PITA...

Me too :mad:
Alberto Contador=Legend!

User avatar Carols
Veteran

07 Mar 2018 16:50

Clearing Chrome browsing history seems to have done the trick for me, at least for now
User avatar Eyeballs Out

Re: Disable Ad-Blocking?

07 Mar 2018 23:29

I disable the adblocker, the adblocker confirms it is not active on the site, but I still keep getting the request to whitelist which is already done.
The site therefore cannot be accessed, even though I comply with the request.
I'm using chrome, and the latest version of adblocker.
Site accessed on the tablet instead. :confused:
2old2fat
Newly Registered Member

08 Mar 2018 09:53

2old2fat wrote:I disable the adblocker, the adblocker confirms it is not active on the site, but I still keep getting the request to whitelist which is already done.
The site therefore cannot be accessed, even though I comply with the request.
I'm using chrome, and the latest version of adblocker.
Site accessed on the tablet instead. :confused:

Have you disabled it for the webpage or for the domain? If you only whitelist the front page you'll keep getting requests if you try and navigate to any other page. For example, in adblock the filter would look like this:

@@||www.cyclingnews.com/$document
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

11 Mar 2018 07:32

Just did the survey and rated it 0 if I would suggest this site and gave this reason.

Forcing users to disable adblocking is a security issue that can put users at risk using computers susceptible to Spectre and other exploits from rogue ads.

When I find a site that blocks adblockers I find an alternate site.
Boostland
Newly Registered Member

11 Mar 2018 11:12

So, the issue here is something that's blocking the blocker? Could you find a software that could block the block-blocker?

Personally I've never had issues with ads, they're just sorta off the edge of my reading-field. However, I use a rather large screen.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

12 Mar 2018 01:54

Time to go back to my original adblocking methods that I was using since win95 until the release of decent ablocking extensions.

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

Note: this removes ads from Cyclingnews but does not trigger the warning.
Boostland
Newly Registered Member

Next

Return to About the website