Register

Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

09 May 2017 21:17

fmk_RoI wrote:Brace yourselves peeps - there's a Shane Sutton chamoir coming...

Who is the author/ghost writer?
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re: Re:

10 May 2017 02:44

Benotti69 wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:Brace yourselves peeps - there's a Shane Sutton chamoir coming...

Who is the author/ghost writer?

If it's fluff it has to be Walsh...
User avatar thehog
Veteran

10 May 2017 05:25

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-Autobiography-Shane-Sutton/dp/1473641640
Only Sutton's name according to Amazon - May 18 is the day folks!
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
User avatar Robert5091

10 May 2017 06:00

Probably won't be too many long words in it then
mcduff

18 May 2017 05:52

Might not come out until after election and release of report into BC bullying etc
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

18 May 2017 13:31

Robert5091 wrote:Might not come out until after election and release of report into BC bullying etc
You have a source for that?
User avatar fmk_RoI

18 May 2017 17:09

In related news, Gary Sutton has lost his job as Head Coach of the Australian Track program - Could he end up in the UK ?
yaco

18 May 2017 21:44

fmk_RoI wrote:
Robert5091 wrote:Might not come out until after election and release of report into BC bullying etc
You have a source for that?

No source, but as Hodder's website have nothing on it (& him!), no reviews and this - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/29/shane-sutton-british-cycling-10-key-questions
"probably with a book deal somewhere along the way. Given his closeness to some of his former charges and colleagues, his elephantine memory – and the fact there are now a few scores to be settled – that could be an intriguing read once the libel lawyers have had their way with it."
User avatar Robert5091

19 May 2017 08:15

Is it correct that the current theory is him being the source for the jiffy bag story?
budegan

Re:

19 May 2017 12:45

budegan wrote:Is it correct that the current theory is him being the source for the jiffy bag story?
Yes, that's the belief. Even though it also seems that the Jiffy bag story is the reason he wasn't able to return to BC. Hoist by his own petard, I believe the expression is.

Re the Hodder book. The publisher appears to have commissioned the book before the scandal broke. Not sure who the ghost was but a couple of names have been suggested to me. Unlike other recent cycling books, Hodder didn't announce the book in the trade newsletter. The appearance on distribution lists is probably a screw up: it's just holding data - generic name, generic page count, generic description - and would have been amended at some stage. Someone appears to have forgot to take it down after the book was either cancelled or postponed (like his bestie Dave B, Sutton's book could simply be postponed indefinitely, or he could have returned the advance - we don't know which). If you look through distribution lists long enough you'll find plenty of phantom books that haven't been taken down after they got canned: LeMond, Millar and more.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re: Shane Sutton - Team Sky coach

19 May 2017 12:50

I e-mailed Hodder & Stoughton on Sutton's book and got the following back,

Many thanks for your email.

Unfortunately Shane Sutton’s book will not be published this month – there seems to have been an error with the feed to Amazon, thank you for flagging it.

Yours sincerely,

Fiona

Fiona Rose | Editor
Non-Fiction | Hodder & Stoughton | Carmelite House | 50 Victoria Embankment | London | EC4Y 0DZ

E: fiona.rose@hodder.co.uk
User avatar Robert5091

19 May 2017 19:05

Any coincidence that Gary Sutton is released, after Simon Jones is appointed High Performance Director of the Australian Track cycling Program ?
yaco

19 May 2017 20:29

fmk_RoI wrote:
budegan wrote:Is it correct that the current theory is him being the source for the jiffy bag story?
Yes, that's the belief. Even though it also seems that the Jiffy bag story is the reason he wasn't able to return to BC. Hoist by his own petard, I believe the expression is.

Re the Hodder book. The publisher appears to have commissioned the book before the scandal broke. Not sure who the ghost was but a couple of names have been suggested to me. Unlike other recent cycling books, Hodder didn't announce the book in the trade newsletter. The appearance on distribution lists is probably a screw up: it's just holding data - generic name, generic page count, generic description - and would have been amended at some stage. Someone appears to have forgot to take it down after the book was either cancelled or postponed (like his bestie Dave B, Sutton's book could simply be postponed indefinitely, or he could have returned the advance - we don't know which). If you look through distribution lists long enough you'll find plenty of phantom books that haven't been taken down after they got canned: LeMond, Millar and more.

Thanks mate, I thought that was the implication I read. Just as a point of discussion, what I don't understand about that though is why utterly screw his old BFF Wiggo, Brailsfraud, and Sky? I get why he'd want to stick it to BC, but why take down the others too?
budegan

Re:

20 May 2017 03:37

yaco wrote:Any coincidence that Gary Sutton is released, after Simon Jones is appointed High Performance Director of the Australian Track cycling Program ?

Coincidences happen all the time. No doubt Jones is making tough calls about the HPU but I very much doubt there is any link to the topic of this thread. Gary and Shane Sutton are chalk and cheese. Gary's end of coaching contract probably deserves its own thread it's so far removed from this one.

Gary is an uber nice guy with a great track record, very well respected and not a whiff of scandal. A class act. I wish him all the best for whatever he does in future.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

20 May 2017 17:13

budegan wrote:Just as a point of discussion, what I don't understand about that though is why utterly screw his old BFF Wiggo, Brailsfraud, and Sky? I get why he'd want to stick it to BC, but why take down the others too?
That is one of the kinks in the theory and - as with the others - nobody tries to explain it away. Just ignore it.
User avatar fmk_RoI

Previous

Return to The Clinic