Register

Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

12 Sep 2018 20:55

samhocking wrote:Personally, I'm more excited for the squad Matt B has selected than anything Ellingworth put together since Cavendish really. Thomas deserves to kick back and enjoy his win. Froome doesn't have anything to prove and maybe he put his new baby above training for another 2 months to stay on top for one days racing never won in same year by a Giro winner since Hinault anyway.
Sure it's 5000m climbing, but it's not 2500 then another 2500 so it isn't suited to threshold riding and probably not controllable to be that either by GB to bring the race to Froome's strengths. I'd say Yates is as good as Froome & Thomas given their calendar anyway.

I think you've mistaken this for a road racing forum......'normalised froome'.........at least Thomas and Yates have had the decency to knock out some world class performances pre-mid 20's' before being world champ potentials.....

Froome has a lot to "prove"......like how he transformed about this time 7 years ago......

maybe he'll get a dirt track in Africa named after him..............
gillan1969

12 Sep 2018 22:15

According to the Sky PR, G started in December training for the TdF - so now he's making up for lost time with the pies and pints. :) (inbetween writing everyone's Christmas stocking filler)
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

13 Sep 2018 08:23

Thomas said he hadn't been home for over 90 days because he was on training camps and racing before Tour de France, so he was training and racing out of a suitcase for over 4 months straight. If you compare this to the approach of e.g. Movistar who don't have any training camps and all their riders go home to train between races, I can see carrying on for another 2 months away from home racing and training for Worlds is a big ask when it's just one day and never won by Tour winners anyway. If i'd been away that long, regardless of just having a baby too, I would go home.
samhocking

Re:

15 Sep 2018 10:25

samhocking wrote:Thomas said he hadn't been home for over 90 days because he was on training camps and racing before Tour de France, so he was training and racing out of a suitcase for over 4 months straight. If you compare this to the approach of e.g. Movistar who don't have any training camps and all their riders go home to train between races, I can see carrying on for another 2 months away from home racing and training for Worlds is a big ask when it's just one day and never won by Tour winners anyway. If i'd been away that long, regardless of just having a baby too, I would go home.

You seriously believe Movistar don't have training camps??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuRs65KH2MQ

http://movistarteam.com/en/2018-01-22/mini-training-camp-rafa-nadal-sports-centre-mallorca-challenge
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re: Geraint Thomas, the next british hope

15 Sep 2018 11:09

That is their January team get together, hardly a training camp lol! I'm talking about actual 2-3 week altitude training camps throughout Jan-May and before each Grand Tour, drop-in centres, team training bases etc.

There is a really great interview with Unzue's son on the cycling podcast with him explaining why they don't spend money on any training camps.
https://audioboom.com/posts/6995658-kilometre-0-a-spanish-dynasty
samhocking

Re:

15 Sep 2018 21:45

samhocking wrote:Thomas said he hadn't been home for over 90 days because he was on training camps and racing before Tour de France, so he was training and racing out of a suitcase for over 4 months straight. If you compare this to the approach of e.g. Movistar who don't have any training camps and all their riders go home to train between races, I can see carrying on for another 2 months away from home racing and training for Worlds is a big ask when it's just one day and never won by Tour winners anyway. If i'd been away that long, regardless of just having a baby too, I would go home.

Sky the miracle performers. Geraint Thomas wins the TdF at the ripe old age of 32 and gives birth too!

Is there nothing Sky cant do?
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Previous

Return to The Clinic