Log in:  

Register

Quintana??

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

21 Jul 2018 23:10

Roninho wrote:On a more serious note: What about negative pergormance effect due to psychological issues. Or better said: stress.

Fighting politics in tge team to be #1 can be a motivation for some and issue for others.

Or simply being overweight!

Heat makes it worse!
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,360
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

Re:

22 Jul 2018 08:55

Ataraxus wrote:Written this 4 years ago:

"I don't know if I'm the only one, but, in my mind I have questioned Quintana's age. His face gives the impression of a much older man.
And in Latin America (and Africa) they have this trend of manipulating sportsmen passports to show them as much younger in Europe hence to increase their contract values. (There are plenty of suchlike speculations about south-american footballers)
....
Anyway. His results will show in the forthcoming years whether Quintana has that development curve a 25 year old should have in cycling. Hope my suspicions are wrong though. "

His development curve from 2013 onward doesn't look like the one of a 24 years old. Neither does his face .

It's true, but I don't think that's the case with Quintana. He has quite rugged face features with is perfectly normal for his Aztec genotype. But back then in 2013-2014 upon closer look it was obvious he had pretty fresh and young face.
I'd guess Quintana looking so poor is more down to some prep blunder. One more option is there has been some funtamental alternation training- and doping-wise which heavily favours power machines like Dimoulin and Froome compared to small climbers such as Nairo.
dacooley
Member
 
Posts: 1,672
Joined: 30 May 2015 15:37

Re: Re:

22 Jul 2018 20:50

dacooley wrote:
Ataraxus wrote:Written this 4 years ago:

"I don't know if I'm the only one, but, in my mind I have questioned Quintana's age. His face gives the impression of a much older man.
And in Latin America (and Africa) they have this trend of manipulating sportsmen passports to show them as much younger in Europe hence to increase their contract values. (There are plenty of suchlike speculations about south-american footballers)
....
Anyway. His results will show in the forthcoming years whether Quintana has that development curve a 25 year old should have in cycling. Hope my suspicions are wrong though. "

His development curve from 2013 onward doesn't look like the one of a 24 years old. Neither does his face .

It's true, but I don't think that's the case with Quintana. He has quite rugged face features with is perfectly normal for his Aztec genotype. But back then in 2013-2014 upon closer look it was obvious he had pretty fresh and young face.
I'd guess Quintana looking so poor is more down to some prep blunder. One more option is there has been some funtamental alternation training- and doping-wise which heavily favours power machines like Dimoulin and Froome compared to small climbers such as Nairo.


Agreed.
And that was the big problem of the nineties with few exceptions. Maybe there is something new again with similar consequences.
User avatar Escarabajo
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,360
Joined: 16 Apr 2009 18:38
Location: USA - Central Time

14 Sep 2018 06:40

Here's another man that is going backwards very rapidly. What could be the cause of this? 5 years ago he looked to be the purest climber of his generation. Was he on the dope and he's now gone clean?
QuickZulu
New Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 18 Apr 2016 13:32

Re: Re:

14 Sep 2018 07:44

Escarabajo wrote:
dacooley wrote:
Ataraxus wrote:Written this 4 years ago:

"I don't know if I'm the only one, but, in my mind I have questioned Quintana's age. His face gives the impression of a much older man.
And in Latin America (and Africa) they have this trend of manipulating sportsmen passports to show them as much younger in Europe hence to increase their contract values. (There are plenty of suchlike speculations about south-american footballers)
....
Anyway. His results will show in the forthcoming years whether Quintana has that development curve a 25 year old should have in cycling. Hope my suspicions are wrong though. "

His development curve from 2013 onward doesn't look like the one of a 24 years old. Neither does his face .

It's true, but I don't think that's the case with Quintana. He has quite rugged face features with is perfectly normal for his Aztec genotype. But back then in 2013-2014 upon closer look it was obvious he had pretty fresh and young face.
I'd guess Quintana looking so poor is more down to some prep blunder. One more option is there has been some funtamental alternation training- and doping-wise which heavily favours power machines like Dimoulin and Froome compared to small climbers such as Nairo.


Agreed.
And that was the big problem of the nineties with few exceptions. Maybe there is something new again with similar consequences.


Well, compared with Quintana's peak years so far (say 2013-16) riders are going pretty much the same speed at the front as they were then, even if what you say about new doping favouring bigger riders is true. Yet Quintana is further behind. The change is with him, not other riders. He's simply not as good as he was.
simoni
Member
 
Posts: 434
Joined: 11 Mar 2010 20:45

Re: Quintana??

14 Sep 2018 09:12

There was some discussion in the cycling podcast a few years ago about Quintana's exact age. Something about where he was born meant his birth wasn't ever registered. It was only when he needed a passport to race abroad that the authorities realised and so he gave them what he thought was his birth date, but it couldn't be validated, so that is his registered age.
samhocking
Member
 
Posts: 1,951
Joined: 13 Mar 2013 22:44

Re: Quintana??

14 Sep 2018 09:44

there was an ironic post on facebook saying actually Quintana is older than they say he is. some paper work changing far away in Colombia before he began racing. he won the young jersey at the Tour even if older
:D
just facebook banter
pastronef
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,349
Joined: 19 Aug 2011 08:25
Location: Italia

14 Sep 2018 10:18

Someone also posted on Reddit yesterday that Quintana is in fact some years older. Got downvoted pretty quickly and then deleted the post though...
ppanther92
Member
 
Posts: 589
Joined: 03 May 2015 10:27

14 Sep 2018 10:22

Judging by his performancea lately in comparison with his teammate he could be indeed older than Valverde.
User avatar Rollthedice
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,568
Joined: 11 May 2013 10:59

Re: Quintana??

14 Sep 2018 10:28

If we're using performance regression to age riders, how old is Fabio Aru :eek:
brownbobby
Member
 
Posts: 898
Joined: 27 Sep 2017 07:14

14 Sep 2018 13:34

I know people scoff at the idea of his age being incorrect but it's a fairly common phenomenon in Latin American players in Baseball so I wouldn't completely discount it. You could certainly see the benefit for Quintana shaving years of his true age.

Also if SamHockings post is accurate you could see out it could easily be done in error
User avatar Midnightfright
Member
 
Posts: 1,275
Joined: 06 Mar 2011 12:32
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Quintana??

14 Sep 2018 14:16

My theory is that the extreme altitude some of the smaller Colombians have been raised in affects their longevity in pro sports. Lucho was basically done as a GC rider by 1989, and he was not yet 30 years old. He could still ride well, but was not near as dangerous on the GC. Whereas the pure climbers from Columbia seem to burst on the scene and look unbeatable at a young age, they age faster.

Nothing scientific, just my own theory. Or it could be actual age vs. the published one. Maybe I’m just grasping at straws though.
User avatar perico
Member
 
Posts: 1,211
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 21:57

14 Sep 2018 14:40

I highly doubt he's actually older than Valverde, simply because Valverde is an outlier when it comes to a rider doing what he's doing at his age. Most have started their declines in their early to mid 30's. Is it possible Quintana is older yes, but I would hard pressed to believe it's by more than about 4-5 years. We saw Contador start his decline before he retired (he was still more than capable of winning, but the decline was there). I also believe we have started to see Froome decline a little. He has not looked as dominate as he did previously.
User avatar Koronin
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,808
Joined: 14 Oct 2017 01:42
Location: North Carolina, USA

Re: Quintana??

14 Sep 2018 20:01

brownbobby wrote:If we're using performance regression to age riders, how old is Fabio Aru :eek:


41 :exclaim:
User avatar lartiste
Member
 
Posts: 305
Joined: 29 Jul 2016 21:47

Re: Quintana??

15 Sep 2018 04:29

perico wrote:My theory is that the extreme altitude some of the smaller Colombians have been raised in affects their longevity in pro sports. Lucho was basically done as a GC rider by 1989, and he was not yet 30 years old. He could still ride well, but was not near as dangerous on the GC. Whereas the pure climbers from Columbia seem to burst on the scene and look unbeatable at a young age, they age faster.

Nothing scientific, just my own theory. Or it could be actual age vs. the published one. Maybe I’m just grasping at straws though.


Not at all- keep in mind the body has to work much harder at altitude due to low oxygen, so the aging process can well be sped up in Pro-Cyclists given the punishment inflicted in themselves with training. BTW It is well known that senior folks born & living their entire life at altitude locations are always told by doctors to either spend more time or move permanently to lower altitude places in order to relief blood pressure to help heart & breathing functions - So yes - altitude has its benefits but also its setbacks in aging.
User avatar hfer07
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,695
Joined: 17 Mar 2009 15:43

Previous

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests

Back to top