Register

Dave Millar - anti doping hero

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

09 Jan 2016 10:33

bobbins wrote:Millar is a legend, he waits years to reveal the incredible secrets about doping that he knew about before anyone else and incredibly he gets given airtime and is still seen as a vocal anti-doper.

Well, I can exclusively reveal here that the winner of the 1988 100m sprint at the olympics was using performance enhancing drugs. Take that Millar.

Seriously, shouldn't he be sanctioned for knowing about doping activity but not revealing it? At the very least he should be removed from any committee or association that has a serious anti-doping brief. Being aware of doping but not reporting it is part of the problem we have and yet again, Millar seems to be a part of the problem not of the solution.

Have not seen anyone working in pro cycling at present who is part of a solution to clean cycling.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 Jan 2016 10:43

Benotti69 wrote:
bobbins wrote:Millar is a legend, he waits years to reveal the incredible secrets about doping that he knew about before anyone else and incredibly he gets given airtime and is still seen as a vocal anti-doper.

Well, I can exclusively reveal here that the winner of the 1988 100m sprint at the olympics was using performance enhancing drugs. Take that Millar.

Seriously, shouldn't he be sanctioned for knowing about doping activity but not revealing it? At the very least he should be removed from any committee or association that has a serious anti-doping brief. Being aware of doping but not reporting it is part of the problem we have and yet again, Millar seems to be a part of the problem not of the solution.

Have not seen anyone working in pro cycling at present who is part of a solution to clean cycling.

I think there are some, some of the French riders share their SRM data, Tom Dumolin shared his power files. There are some but not many. As long as the likes of Ochowicz, Millar, Yates, Julich, Knaeven, Riis, Brailsford etc are involved I think we will struggle to clean up the sport.

People are still too scared to report doping and people who work for the sponsors seem to think that its a great secret to be 'in on'. The former head of cycling for a big media sponsor knew about their team implying a dodgy doctor and various injections but thought nothing more of it and certainly didn't raise any concerns.

Millar is the worse kind, his words and actions are polar opposite and the gullible corporate chamois sniffers that he spends time with believe his every word thus making doping pay and maintaining the omertà.
bobbins

09 Jan 2016 15:46

Millar is a snake.

Not sure riders releasing SRM data proves much. I dont think the French are clean, just they take less risks than others due to the threat of a criminal record or prison.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

09 Jan 2016 19:39

bobbins wrote:I think there are some, some of the French riders share their SRM data, Tom Dumolin shared his power files. There are some but not many. As long as the likes of Ochowicz, Millar, Yates, Julich, Knaeven, Riis, Brailsford etc are involved I think we will struggle to clean up the sport.

People are still too scared to report doping and people who work for the sponsors seem to think that its a great secret to be 'in on'. The former head of cycling for a big media sponsor knew about their team implying a dodgy doctor and various injections but thought nothing more of it and certainly didn't raise any concerns.

Millar is the worse kind, his words and actions are polar opposite and the gullible corporate chamois sniffers that he spends time with believe his every word thus making doping pay and maintaining the omertà.

you mean Shane Sutton and Sky hiring Leinders?
sniper
Veteran

09 Jan 2016 21:04

sniper wrote:
bobbins wrote:I think there are some, some of the French riders share their SRM data, Tom Dumolin shared his power files. There are some but not many. As long as the likes of Ochowicz, Millar, Yates, Julich, Knaeven, Riis, Brailsford etc are involved I think we will struggle to clean up the sport.

you mean Shane Sutton and Sky hiring Leinders?

No and no. Doesn't really matter who, the concern is that it happens.
bobbins

13 Jan 2016 18:36

Freddythefrog

Re:

13 Jan 2016 19:47

Freddythefrog wrote:http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/david-millar-tours-to-bring-back-good-and-bad-memories-206466

I need to check my piggy bank !

Millar rubbing the 'fans with typewriters' up the right way. Ugh! :rolleyes:
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re:

14 Jan 2016 01:09

Aaaaauuuugggghhhhh...

It’s not over the top and it’s not pretentious
If Millar is involved, how can it not be both? :confused:

Millar – who has also released his own clothing range – is to ride at least one of the days with the group of 25 riders, who will be staying in luxury hotels and have a professional support team on the road.

At least one!!!!

Where do I sign up?
User avatar Jacques de Molay

Re:

14 Jan 2016 01:46

Freddythefrog wrote:http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/david-millar-tours-to-bring-back-good-and-bad-memories-206466

I need to check my piggy bank !

Where do I << pukes in mouth >> sign up?

Poor David will have to remember some not so fun times on his bike while he's pocketing thousands of euro's... :rolleyes:

He's livin the dopers dream!
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

14 Jan 2016 01:46

Jacques de Molay wrote:

Aaaaauuuugggghhhhh...

It’s not over the top and it’s not pretentious
If Millar is involved, how can it not be both? :confused:

Millar – who has also released his own clothing range – is to ride at least one of the days with the group of 25 riders, who will be staying in luxury hotels and have a professional support team on the road.

At least one!!!!

Where do I sign up?

That's good of him. He also might have to squeeze a ride in with the investors in his movie. That's a of two rides.

Hopefully David will be available for some campfire stories on the package tour, recounting stories about people who's name he doesn't remember.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

29 Jun 2018 08:59

It's Friday and as well as being poets day and as well as meaning it's fish and chips for dinner, Friday means film reviews in the inkies. And today's film - St David's troubled Time Trial flick, which has had a gestation period that makes elephants seem quick - offers Clinic regulars a chance to indulge in our second favourite drink (after the Kool-Aid): schadenfreude.

The Times calls it pretentious:
Finlay Pretsell’s rather pretentious film follows Millar on his final season in cycling in 2014 as he strives to gain selection for what will be his 13th Tour de France.
The Guardian gives it a middle of the road three stars:
The film immerses us in the (to my amateur eye) rather joyless business of grinding up and down hills and boiling with sweary resentment at other cyclists. Millar is shown at one stage having to be pulled over by his team to get his gloves on and jacket zipped up properly, like a miserable kid.
Elsewhere you'll find it politely dismissed as "a film for fans of the sport and of Millar himself".

The Times, via:
User avatar fmk_RoI

Re: Dave Millar - anti doping hero

29 Jun 2018 09:32

Imagine a night in with the David Millar movie and Walsh’s The Program! A bots perfect date night! :cool: A Rapha jersey is sensual nightwear :cool:

On a side note; didn’t Millar ask for donations for this movie? :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

29 Jun 2018 09:42

thehog wrote:On a side note; didn’t Millar ask for donations for this movie? :cool:
The production company - not Millar - turned to crowd-funding to raise money and act as a publicity stunt.
We’d done very comprehensive research on LinkedIn, which at the time (I believe they’ve changed things around again now) allowed you to cross-search by people’s roles and interests. Due to that initial research, we quickly realised that there was a high net worth crowd around cycling. It’s beginning to replace golf in many ways as the sport of choice for affluent people in their forties and fifties who are discovering it later in life and becoming very passionate. Because of that passion, we realised that we might be able to finance the film through private investment, and it worked. All of our funders are cycling fans.
User avatar fmk_RoI

29 Jun 2018 09:52

fmk_RoI wrote:
thehog wrote:On a side note; didn’t Millar ask for donations for this movie? :cool:
The production company - not Millar - turned to crowd-funding to raise money and act as a publicity stunt.
We’d done very comprehensive research on LinkedIn, which at the time (I believe they’ve changed things around again now) allowed you to cross-search by people’s roles and interests. Due to that initial research, we quickly realised that there was a high net worth crowd around cycling. It’s beginning to replace golf in many ways as the sport of choice for affluent people in their forties and fifties who are discovering it later in life and becoming very passionate. Because of that passion, we realised that we might be able to finance the film through private investment, and it worked. All of our funders are cycling fans.

That was it! Hate to see the ROI ratio on this movie. Might bomb as badly as Walsh’s epic disaster :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

29 Jun 2018 10:01

Unsurprisingly there have been showings with a Q and A session with Millar and Pretsell at the Glasgow Film Theatre. I did ask some people who attended if he showed them how to bang in a bag of blood in the backseat of a car, but I never got an answer...
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

29 Jun 2018 10:09

thehog wrote:That was it! Hate to see the ROI ratio on this movie. Might bomb as badly as Walsh’s epic disaster :cool:
Like many films, it could politely be described as a tax scam:
Having identified and engaged with their investors largely using social networking, Henrici and Pretsell’s production company Cycling Films took the equally pioneering decision to register as an Enterprise Investment Scheme, an HMRC initiative offering tax relief to investors in smaller businesses and ventures, in order to mitigate some of the risk.
User avatar fmk_RoI

24 Sep 2018 15:03

So. David Millar's film. Cumulative UK box office take? £67,399 and dead after six weeks (it reached eleven cinemas in its second week, was down to five the next, and limped on in one until its demise).

Still, it's on streaming now, and there's peeps round here think that's a world where gold flows through the fibre-optic cables. Will it be enough, though, to pay back the film's investors?

(The LA docu, Gibney's one, took about half a million dollars in total.)
User avatar fmk_RoI

25 Sep 2018 07:40

Like most films of this budget and type, they won't be funded in a way that's expecting to turn any fast returns at the box office. It'll be no different than Hell On Wheels, The Flying Scotsman, Overcoming etc. They are niche films about a minority sport.
samhocking

25 Sep 2018 08:43

What figures did Chasing Legends get?
User avatar MartinGT

Re:

25 Sep 2018 11:20

fmk_RoI wrote:So. David Millar's film. Cumulative UK box office take? £67,399 and dead after six weeks (it reached eleven cinemas in its second week, was down to five the next, and limped on in one until its demise)
That is kind of substandard 'coz you would have thought the film would have a bigger audience amongst British MAMILs. Thanks for the links to the reviews

I recall this old interview as being the one where I lost interest in Millar and had not much sympathy for him thereafter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP1WuyXcv6g
21:41 "...victim of the era of the sport, there's a whole generation who made decisions which were not our decisions"
Rationalize in a typical fashion, Millar also claimed that his childhood trauma or something made his choices "inevitable"

22:01 "I never saw Lance dope, I was never on the same team"
Except Cofidis 1997, outright lie that conveniently forgets that part, his whole interview also skips over his relationship with Lance during the early 2000's - and the fact Millar turned to Armstrong during his EPO ban to try to wiggle his way back somehow into a WT contract...

One would like to believe Millar, but as the narcissism and rationalization piled up, it became more creepy than sympathetic. I read the critics' reviews now rubbishing Time Trial, apparently this one was not an equally Shakespearean acting performance
ClassicomanoLuigi

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic