Register

General Doping Thread.

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: General Doping Thread.

23 Jan 2018 20:05

King Boonen wrote:
keeponrollin wrote:Hey Pebs !

While browsing the UKAD site, I found a sanction that lists the offender as 'Unnamed Athlete'.

Mr, or Mrs Unnamed got themselves a 4 year ban, & the sport is Rugby Union.

How does this anonymity square with UKAD, & WADA Practices ?, I would have thought that granting any athlete who tests positive anonymity, massively compromises the entire process.

Likely it's a minor. In cases involving minors mandatory public disclosure usually isn't required by governing bodies and can be reported anonymously/proportionally. It'll be in the World Rugby regulations if you are really interested but I'd put money on that being the case.

Ah; that makes sense, Thanks !
keeponrollin

29 Jan 2018 08:20

https://www.afp.com/en/news/207/doping-wada-probes-possible-flaw-test-bottles-doc-y76oc1
The World Anti-Doping Agency said Sunday it had launched an investigation into a possible glitch in drug-testing kits which could allow sample bottles to be opened manually.

WADA said in a statement it had been alerted by an accredited laboratory in Cologne that bottles manufactured by Swiss firm Berlinger could be opened after being frozen.

The glass containers, known as the BEREG-KIT Geneva, were touted as the next generation of sample bottles after being released last year in the wake of the Russian doping scandal that dogged the 2014 Winter Olympics.

It was not clear if the new Berlinger bottles were due to be used at next month's Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.

WADA did not immediately respond to a request for clarification from AFP.

In its statement, WADA said it had "initiated an investigation into a potential integrity issue with the new generation BEREG-KIT Geneva security bottles and will recommend appropriate measures, if needed, in order to maintain the integrity of the doping control process."

The agency said it was alerted to the possible flaw by the Cologne laboratory on January 19.

The lab had found that the bottle "may potentially be susceptible to manual opening 'upon freezing' of a sample."

WADA said it had contacted Berlinger over the issue, and the Swiss company later responded that it had been unable to replicate the flaw found by the German laboratory.

"WADA is following up with the Cologne Laboratory and Berlinger to further clarify the testing protocols that have been undertaken to date," WADA said in a statement.

"WADA acknowledges that this situation, if confirmed, will raise concerns and questions. We wish to reassure athletes and other stakeholders that WADA is resolutely committed to following up with Berlinger until the matter is resolved; and that, we will keep stakeholders apprised as the situation evolves," WADA added.

"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

31 Jan 2018 17:23

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/uci-statement-the-vuelta-ciclista-internacional-costa-rica/

UCI statement on the Vuelta Ciclista Internacional a Costa Rica
31 January 2018

The Union Cycliste Internationale (UCI) announces that 12 riders were notified of an Adverse Analytical Finding (AAF) in samples collected on 22 December 2017 during the Vuelta Ciclista Internacional a Costa Rica.

The riders Juan Carlos Rojas Villalegas, Cesar Andres Rojas Villalegas, Jewinson Leandro Varela Zuniga, Vladimir Fernandez Torres, Jose Alexis Rodriquez Villalobos, Jason Huertas Araya, Jose Irias, Gabriel Eduardo Marin Sanchez, Melvin Mora Garita, Kevin Murillo Solano and Jordy Sandoval were notified of an AAF of CERA*. The rider Jeancarlo Padilla was notified of an AAF of EPO*.

These intelligence-led doping controls were planned and carried out by the Cycling Anti-Doping Foundation (CADF), the independent body in charge of defining and implementing the anti-doping strategy in cycling, with the assistance of the Federacion Costarricense de Ciclismo, the Comisión Nacional Antidopaje de Costa Rica and the Instituto Costarricense del Deporte y la Recreacion.

The riders have the opportunity to request and attend the analysis of the B sample.

In accordance with UCI Anti-Doping Rules, the riders have been provisionally suspended until the adjudication of the matter.

At this stage of the procedure, the UCI will not comment any further on any of these cases.

(*) CERA and EPO are classified as “Peptide Hormones, Growth Factors, Related Substances and Mimetics” as per the World Anti-Doping Prohibited List.
User avatar Alexandre B.

31 Jan 2018 17:28

Nooooooo, not the beautiful Rojas brothers.
User avatar DNP-Old

31 Jan 2018 17:35

woah, I thought that they had a free reign at home and yet, it seems that their fed may have had a role in busting them

still kinda funny

Oh, and Villalobos as well.

lawl.

they should raid San Juan next
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

31 Jan 2018 17:41

roundabout wrote:woah, I thought that they had a free reign at home and yet, it seems that their fed may have had a role in busting them

still kinda funny

Oh, and Villalobos as well.

lawl.

they should raid San Juan next

This is a different Villalobos.
User avatar DNP-Old

31 Jan 2018 18:19

Yes, Villalobos in Costa Rica is like Gaviria in Colombia or Nguyen in Vietnam. A very large part of the population have that surname.
There's even a Villalobos riding for a team named Villalobos (no relation)

This one who tested positive is not the one who won a stage in Argentina last week, in fact he's never raced outside Costa Rica as far as I can tell
User avatar GuyIncognito

Re:

31 Jan 2018 18:33

GuyIncognito wrote:Yes, Villalobos in Costa Rica is like Gaviria in Colombia or Nguyen in Vietnam. A very large part of the population have that surname.
There's even a Villalobos riding for a team named Villalobos (no relation)

This one who tested positive is not the one who won a stage in Argentina last week, in fact he's never raced outside Costa Rica as far as I can tell

He has. In fact, he's the reigning champion of the U23 Pan American games (CRI) and came 2nd in Juegos Centroamericanos.
User avatar DNP-Old

Re:

31 Jan 2018 19:01

These intelligence-led doping controls were planned and carried out by the Cycling Anti-Doping Foundation (CADF)

Didn't take much intelligence to know that the Rojases were at it. :lol:
User avatar Squire

31 Jan 2018 22:32

12?! :lol:

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

05 Feb 2018 21:03

GenericBoonenFan wrote:Vuelta a San Juan OK

@vueltasanjuanok
11 min.11 minuten geleden
Meer
ATENCIÓN! PRÓXIMAMENTE INFORMACIÓN ACERCA DE DOPING POSITIVO EN LA ÚLTIMA VUELTA A SAN JUAN

Didn't know where else to post it, mods feel free to move it to the clinic or somewhere else.

I believe this is the correct thread. ;)

SEP has apparently not been notified of any doping positives, so it looks like it could be Villalobos joining his compatriots on a prolonged holiday.
User avatar Squire

05 Feb 2018 21:20

The account got hacked. The samples haven't even reached the lab yet.
User avatar DNP-Old

05 Feb 2018 21:42

It did seem quite strange that the organiser was the first to announce it. :D
User avatar Squire

Re:

08 Feb 2018 00:03

This is one of the craziest cases I have heard for a long time, if I understand correctly, it's like this:

- Karl Murray is a New Zealander pro, tested positive for nandrolone in Tour of New Caledonia in 2014, got banned for two years
- Then, during the period of his first ban, there was a huge stink about whether Murray's training lessons for two girl cyclists constituted "coaching" and therefore a violation of the terms of his two-year ban
- Murray initially won his case with the New Zealand cycling federation, because the committee ruled there wasn't enough proof that his association with the girls was properly defined as "coaching"
- Then, New Zealand cycling appealed to CAS, so he was in court for his second major case last year, which he lost
http://www.tas-cas.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Award_4937_final.pdf
because CAS overturned the federation ruling, added two more years to his original ban
- Meanwhile, in the midst of all that, he had tested positive again, this time for clenbuterol
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/northern-advocate/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503448&objectid=11938940

So he was already banned twice, and now facing a third ban on top of that?
ClassicomanoLuigi

08 Feb 2018 22:41

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/de-negri-provisionally-suspended-by-uci/
Italian Pieropaolo de Negri, 31, has been provisionally suspended by the UCI following an adverse analytical finding for anabolic androgenic steroids in an out-of-competition control from December 21, 2017.

The former Nippo-Vini Fantini rider, who signed with the new Continental squad MS-Tina Focus for this season, will sit out the Trofeo Laigueglia.

In a press release, the team stated they were "confident the athlete will be able to clarify" the situation.

However, they shifted responsibility for De Negri, stating that the control was taken while he was still under contract with his former Pro Continental squad.

"The non-negativite, if confirmed by the competent bodies, would be a serious blow to the image of a newly formed team," they wrote.

User avatar Robert5091

08 Feb 2018 22:44

In English -
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/six-charged-in-connection-with-linas-rumsas-death-investigation/
The police said the investigation uncovered a "real partnership aimed at facilitating doping practices," and that the team owner Franceschi "recruited the most promising cyclists, motivated them to take drugs and procured doping substances for them, including EPO in microdoses."

After the death of Linas Rumsas, the doping allegedly continued but was moved to the home of Francheschi's parents, who allowed riders to store and use EPO, opioid painkillers and other drugs.

In addition to the six who remain under house arrest, 17 more people are being investigated in connection with the doping scheme.

User avatar Robert5091

09 Feb 2018 10:20

check @laflammerouge16 on twitter for more details about the Italian doping bust
pastronef

11 Feb 2018 15:22

More info about Altopack and it seems Majka may have serious problems - http://www.sportfair.it/2018/02/ciclismo-scandalo-doping-caso-altopack-arrichisce-nuovi-inquietanti-scenari/678949/

"Del Nista goes on to say that when Majka was trained by Frediani he took testosterone and then threw the vials in the garden of neighboring Tomei ... Del Nista says that Majka has changed in the jaw just because doing testosterone and Gh the jaw becomes more square".
roniek

14 Feb 2018 22:00

Was watching a bit of the football/soccer tonight, posed this question to a group of friends. No takers. Why not?

"Question lads:
When players constantly, blatantly dive in front of millions, then deny it (alongside managers and coaches) post match when replays clearly show they cheated, should we give them the benefit of the doubt that they don't dope behind closed doors?"

(I'm asking here as I don't think it'd be allowed on the general football/soccer thread)
mjreck

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic