Register

Doping in XC skiing

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Doping in XC skiing

15 Apr 2018 13:18

BullsFan22 wrote:But we know for sure that people like Fourcade and Dahlmeier are clean. In fact everyone else is clean as well. It's only the Russians that dope. Their results from last season prove it.

Yeah, Koukalova is the funniest.

Very similar to story in ski. In her recent interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTCgFisvrk&app=desktop) talking about doping Välbe told "I perfectly understand why I did not have individual Olympic gold" meaning that skiers who won those races were juiced.

If we take 1992 there were russian Egorova, Marjut Rolig (Lukkarinen) and Belmondo ahead of Välbe. Only Egorova was caught doped. If we check WChamps before and after those '92 Games we could see that Välbe destroyed Lukkarinen and Belmondo.

The same story with '94 Games. Ahead of Välbe just russian skiers who were caught or Italians, Finns and Norwegians who were not.
Rider

Re: Doping in XC skiing

16 Apr 2018 14:18

Rider wrote:Very similar to story in ski. In her recent interview (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTCgFisvrk&app=desktop) talking about doping Välbe told "I perfectly understand why I did not have individual Olympic gold" meaning that skiers who won those races were juiced.

If we take 1992 there were russian Egorova, Marjut Rolig (Lukkarinen) and Belmondo ahead of Välbe. Only Egorova was caught doped. If we check WChamps before and after those '92 Games we could see that Välbe destroyed Lukkarinen and Belmondo.

The same story with '94 Games. Ahead of Välbe just russian skiers who were caught or Italians, Finns and Norwegians who were not.

Lucky for her they didn't bother to dope in the world championships.
MrRoboto

16 Apr 2018 17:01

More details, there are 12 suspects, ten of which is for doping, the other two for corruption: https://www.nrk.no/sport/12-personer-mistenkt-i-skiskyttersaken-1.14009374
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

19 Aug 2018 13:46

John de Savage

30 Aug 2018 13:14

Some news from Russia...

http://www.biathlonworld.com/news/detail/ibu-notifies-rbu-and-four-russian-athletes-about-adrv

Edit: "Russian media are reporting the athletes include Olympic gold medallists Svetlana Sleptsova and Evgeny Ustyugov, as well as Alexander Chernyshov."

https://www.insidethegames.biz/index.php/articles/1069384/ibu-announces-anti-doping-rule-violation-charges-against-four-more-russian-athletes
User avatar search

31 Aug 2018 17:52

Svetlana Sleptsova?! I'm shocked :rolleyes:
User avatar ToreBear

03 Sep 2018 21:10

Eventhough it is not xc skiing, please note doping in NHL - Nat Schmidt, will miss 20 games, substance not known. this case just confirms the attitude of NHL to doping ... .
User avatar lartiste

04 Sep 2018 21:21

with it being the NHL, I would not be surprised if the ban length is a part of the CBA

but, anyway, I think there is a doping in other sports thread where this discussion would probably be more appropriate
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

08 Sep 2018 16:25

There have been quite a few big name biathlon retirements this summer. Koukalova, Svendsen, Dorin Habert, Domracheva, even the ageless Björndalen seem to have retired. Retirements happen every year, but most of the above have not really reached the usual retirement age - it makes me wonder if there is still another shoe to drop from the Besseberg indictment for (some of the) non-Russian athletes as well?

Mäkäräinen and Dahlmeier were considering their options too, but both will reportedly continue. What that means depends on your viewpoint, I guess.

And I have no idea if Kuzmina will again disappear for three years until the next Olympics.
alternator

Re:

08 Sep 2018 19:15

alternator wrote:There have been quite a few big name biathlon retirements this summer. Koukalova, Svendsen, Dorin Habert, Domracheva, even the ageless Björndalen seem to have retired. Retirements happen every year, but most of the above have not really reached the usual retirement age - it makes me wonder if there is still another shoe to drop from the Besseberg indictment for (some of the) non-Russian athletes as well?

Mäkäräinen and Dahlmeier were considering their options too, but both will reportedly continue. What that means depends on your viewpoint, I guess.

And I have no idea if Kuzmina will again disappear for three years until the next Olympics.

There's always quite a few retirements post-Olympics though. A lot of athletes who don't expect to make it through another four year cycle will retire especially if they have a good Olympics. Koukalová's is the only retirement of those that I would say raises any flags whatsoever, and those have been discussed previously. Domracheva and Bjørndalen are a couple with a small child, and Dorin Habert also has a young child which will play a role in the reasons for retirement. All are the wrong side of 30, and you do see quite a lot of women retire not far into their 30s in a lot of endurance sports, especially with it being on a four year cycle when they'll all be 35-36 by the time the next Olympics roll around. Svendsen by contrast has simply not been able to recapture the athlete he used to be for a good three or four years now, showing only sporadic glimpses, and with Norway having a new star in Johannes Bø and a bunch of youngish athletes who are getting closer to or surpassing the current Svendsen level, he probably doesn't want to keep on going as such a shell of his former self.

The athletes continuing also have reasons; Finland probably simply need Mäkäräinen badly to keep the sport in the public eye there and keep attendance up at the Kontiolahti World Cup round, and given she doesn't have family commitments she's probably easier to convince to continue (Belarus have been completely gutted, as also Skardino and Pisareva have both retired; the latter had lost her place in the relay and was producing diminishing returns, and also got married soon after the announcement so may well be looking to start a family soon too; Skardino is 33 and probably decided that the chances of replicating an achievement like the Olympic gold medal relay was so unlikely she wanted to go out at the top) than some. Laura, like Magdalena Neuner before her, isn't really the dominant personality type and has always maintained that she will probably retire early and doesn't see herself in the sport for the long haul; she's won a World Cup overall, dominated a World Championships and won two Olympic golds; I think had she had a huge Olympic haul akin to her Hochfilzen Worlds achievements she would have retired simply because she'd run out of things to achieve, but as things stand I think she still has some unfinished business. She will retire before she's 30, I'm certain.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

20 Sep 2018 21:53

Be interesting to see how the Russians are treated after WADA's decision today.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Previous

Return to The Clinic