Register

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

12 Dec 2017 21:54

GW501516 a substance that is an actual real life version of the thought experiment.

Is winning a few years of glory, worth (likely) dying for, a few years afterwards.
User avatar Catwhoorg

Re: Todays idiot masters fattie doper

12 Dec 2017 22:53

Unbelievable, another one goes through all the stages and hits the jackpot!

After laughing for 30 minutes, I can only feel sorry for this guy and the others who do this stuff and only hope they can at some point resume a normal, productive life. As for all those guys who get so pissed off over this stuff, maybe you need to stop and look at where you are. It's a disease.
Pontiac

12 Dec 2017 22:56

Pontiac wrote:Unbelievable, another one goes through all the stages and hits the jackpot!

After laughing for 30 minutes, I can only feel sorry for this guy and the others who do this stuff and only hope they can at some point resume a normal, productive life. As for all those guys who get so pissed off over this stuff, maybe you need to stop and look at where you are. It's a disease.

This is why I like the Euro based pros coming home over the Australian summer - it reminds people where they really sit in the bigger picture.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

13 Dec 2017 18:48

42x16ss wrote:
Pontiac wrote:Unbelievable, another one goes through all the stages and hits the jackpot!

This is why I like the Euro based pros coming home over the Australian summer - it reminds people where they really sit in the bigger picture.
I saw this genuine anguish one year at the North American Masters Road Championships. A 50-something racer beside me said to a fellow competitor, "At home I'm a god; here I'm a nobody." I hope his ego healed...
Bunyak

Re: Re:

18 Apr 2018 14:29

Pontiac wrote:
brownbobby wrote:
Pontiac wrote:The stages of being a masters racer.
1. It's so awesome to be fit again. This is making my family and work life better, I've got more energy, etc. So what if it costs some money?
2. Winning again is the best! All my racing peers are telling how awesome I am! Even though no one at home or work gives a ****, it's important to me. Yeah, so it takes some time and money, but it's all good stuff, etc.
3. Now I win all the time! I'm such a stud or at least that's what all my racing peers are saying, including a bunch of them that are getting divorced or lost their jobs. Nah, can't have anything to do with the racing. I plan all my family vacations and work time around training and racing, no way it is affecting that though.
4. Man, this is getting to be a lot of work to keep winning all the time! Ok, so we got a few guys exhibiting some roid rage in the races. This is all still good for me right? I'm not getting carried away with it like some of these guys or am I?
5. A few guys busted for doping and more roid rage incidents.....damn, these are some sick puppies....do I really want to be spending my weekends with guys like this?
6. I'm lucky that I have a great spouse and kids and a great job or business, I need to spend my time efforts with them, not these idiots. I can stay fit without all this BS on a lot less time and a lot less money than the 20 hrs a week and the $10-$15k a year.

I guess it was my mid life crisis, how else can you look at it? My wife jokes at least I wasn't out at the bars all those years I was doing masters racing!

Awesome post!!

As someone who's probably just in stage 2 but with thoughts already turning towards stage 6, i think seeing it written down in black and white like this reaffirms the growing feeling i've been having for the last few months that i really don't need to to travel through stages 3,4 and 5 before finally settling down happily to see out my years enjoying riding loops around stage 6.

You are welcome!

Congrats on being at stage 2, but believe me going through the rest of it is really a matter of what your genetics are, not much else. It was fine being a kid and having the competitive drive and the genetics to succeed at the sport, but as an old guy it's a curse. A part of me envies those guys who can stay at stage 1 or 2 and keep it all in balance, I sure couldn't! Now when my wife and I are out hiking together on the weekends, after a few hours I apologize to her for what I put her through those masters racing years.

Thanks for the chuckle on the stages! A crash interrupted my travels at stage 2. Now, I help the young ones with their aspirations and do the occasional race with no major concern to placing, and most of all, I avoid the crazy sprint finishes that usually end in a crash.
attila

Previous

Return to The Clinic