Register

Todays idiot masters fattie doper

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

08 Jun 2018 11:12

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
yaco wrote:This targetting of 'weekend warriors' is not just an issue in cycling, but across most sports - I have no idea why Amateur type sports or the amateur part of BIGGER sports are members of the WADA Code - This is the world gone crazy but plays into the hands of NADO's who receive credit for busting 'weekend warriors' who are hardly at the cutting edge of professional cycling.

To be fair, this is part of an initiative sought by members of USAC, who put in place a levy on masters/amateur race entry fees and licences to fund the testing of masters/amateurs as well as ways to provide intelligence for better targeting.
https://www.usacycling.org/resources/race-clean

You're absolutely right, this was something that came about because so many members were upset with the doping going on with their fellow racers. But keep in mind that we are dealing with amateurs and masters, a segment of the sport that no one follows but the participants themselves.

I am not sure it does anything to solve the overall image and problem in the sport, but as pointed out it does give the NADO's ammunition to continue getting their funding from the lawmakers and ultimately the tax payers.
Pontiac

Re: Todays idiot masters fattie doper

08 Jun 2018 13:00

42x16ss wrote:
Pontiac wrote:Unbelievable, another one goes through all the stages and hits the jackpot!

After laughing for 30 minutes, I can only feel sorry for this guy and the others who do this stuff and only hope they can at some point resume a normal, productive life. As for all those guys who get so pissed off over this stuff, maybe you need to stop and look at where you are. It's a disease.

This is why I like the Euro based pros coming home over the Australian summer - it reminds people where they really sit in the bigger picture.

I've now forgotten the name of the guy, 'chopper' maybe?...some guy that made a fortune selling books about his time as a tough guy in.........................er......Brisbane :D

"you rock around and think that you're toughest in the world, the whole wide world. But your streets away from where it gets the roughest" as someone once sang :)
gillan1969

08 Jun 2018 14:59

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
yaco wrote:This targetting of 'weekend warriors' is not just an issue in cycling, but across most sports - I have no idea why Amateur type sports or the amateur part of BIGGER sports are members of the WADA Code - This is the world gone crazy but plays into the hands of NADO's who receive credit for busting 'weekend warriors' who are hardly at the cutting edge of professional cycling.

To be fair, this is part of an initiative sought by members of USAC, who put in place a levy on masters/amateur race entry fees and licences to fund the testing of masters/amateurs as well as ways to provide intelligence for better targeting.

That's fine - But do the NADO's need to get involved ? I understand NADO's get to collect funding from unlikely sources which helps their budgets, they get to boost the numbers of AAF's but one car argue it's a waste of resources that could be redirected to investigate HIGH LEVEL doping - I am certain the WADA Code wasn't set up to catch these kind of athletes.
yaco

09 Jun 2018 02:22

yaco wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:

That's fine - But do the NADO's need to get involved ? I understand NADO's get to collect funding from unlikely sources which helps their budgets, they get to boost the numbers of AAF's but one car argue it's a waste of resources that could be redirected to investigate HIGH LEVEL doping - I am certain the WADA Code wasn't set up to catch these kind of athletes.

It's a marginal gain for a NADA/O.

They are getting paid to do more work which brings the cost per unit of work down due of efficiencies of scale (e.g. overheads spread across a greater revenue base). Plus you might be able to keep a well trained expert resource on the books and available to deal with "important" anti-doping matters when they are needed, while their otherwise idle time is used dealing with "less important" but well funded work.

More opportunity to do quality assurance, more opportunity to train people in the processes, more opportunity to refine policy, more opportunity to lobby for better political and resource support, better interaction and sharing with other NADA/Os, perhaps even be able to afford additional expertise, fund more research and so on. It's only down side I can see is if it were diverting resources away from "important" anti-doping work, but I don't see how the extra funding results in that.
User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

09 Jun 2018 11:47

I would argue it's a no gain for the NADO's. keep in mind the title of this thread focuses on "Idiots" and that's just how I and many others who raced as old guys feel about the issue. I was never upset about my peers doping, really just incredulous that they would even consider doing it for a boost in such an egotistical pursuit.

I think the issue really boils down to what the point of having the NADO's is.

Are we looking to make to sport 100% clean of all doping at the top level? If so, is that even a realistic goal, given that I don't think any major professional sport can make that claim, nor will they ever. Or are we looking to do what other major sports do with their anti doping efforts, which is use it as a small part of creating whatever image they need to in order to promote their sport and make it more popular and lucrative for all the participants.

This is what FIFA, the NFL, MLB or any other major sport does. The difference is they all have very powerful organizations that control the money. Yet cycling has a very ineffective UCI that controls next to nothing. The power in our sport resides with ASO, so when German TV pulls out of covering the TDF for a few years and they lose the broadcast fees over doping issues......guess what happens. ASO puts the pressure on everyone to clean things up and that filters down to the NADO's who then look for everything they can to show they are doing the job and that includes busting the "idiots" and gaining a few more points.

As I mentioned earlier looking at USADA's test results since 2016, said it all for me and on top of that chasing after Horner......6 tests in 2018 alone for a guy who isn't racing anything? That just smacks of a personal vendetta by Travis, he's still pissed about that "rider 16" and not busting him from his big report years ago.

What really gets me is the hypocrisy of it all.....here you have ASO who is the real power in the sport, pontificating to us about the doping issues and carrying on about Froome, when you could make the argument that doping in the sport would not even exist without the TDF! We all know the history right from the start of the event and all that has gone on for each and every year since then.
Pontiac

09 Jun 2018 13:59

So because the system is not perfect you think it should be abandoned altogether?

What would happen if there was no WADA or NADOs?

Juniors? I shudder to think of the consequences.

Re:

09 Jun 2018 14:22

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:So because the system is not perfect you think it should be abandoned altogether?

What would happen if there was no WADA or NADOs?

Juniors? I shudder to think of the consequences.

Not at all, obviously there has to be some attempt made to rid the sport of doping. I'm just making the observation of how futile it appears at times. It's a complicated situation....you've got pro riders with non existent job security and no power base, teams who struggle with continuity in sponsorship, race owners losing money (except for ASO), a fed up public who laughs at us, yet enjoys the beauty of the sport and a messed up situation with WADA and NADO's who can't seem to provide any clarity or consistency of enforcement, witness this joke going on with Froome.

And yet we're gonna bust every damn old guy out there!
Pontiac

30 Jun 2018 21:03

U.S. Triathlon Athlete Michael Meacham Accepts Sanction for Anti-Doping Rule Violation

Meacham, 42, tested positive for methenolone and its metabolites, as well as exogenous boldenone, following an out-of-competition urine sample he provided on August 19, 2017.

During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of the case, Meacham also admitted that, beginning in November 2013, he had periodically used additional prohibited substances. But because of the substantial assistance provided that led to the discovery and bringing forward of a criminal offense, Meacham’s one-year period of ineligibility was reduced from four years.

Re:

01 Jul 2018 00:11

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:U.S. Triathlon Athlete Michael Meacham Accepts Sanction for Anti-Doping Rule Violation

Meacham, 42, tested positive for methenolone and its metabolites, as well as exogenous boldenone, following an out-of-competition urine sample he provided on August 19, 2017.

During USADA’s investigation into the circumstances of the case, Meacham also admitted that, beginning in November 2013, he had periodically used additional prohibited substances. But because of the substantial assistance provided that led to the discovery and bringing forward of a criminal offense, Meacham’s one-year period of ineligibility was reduced from four years.

Just noticed that the title of this thread is “idiot”, does it need to be changed?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re:

19 Aug 2018 20:47

Granville57 wrote:Yay! I get to bump the dooshbag Hall of Fame thread!

http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-leduc123013

David LeDuc, 62, tested positive for the presence of a steroid of exogenous origin, recombinant human erythropoietin (“rhEPO”) and amphetamine, a prohibited stimulant, as the result of an in-competition urine sample collected on September 6, 2013 at the Masters Road National Championships in Bend, Ore.

How I hate this sport. Let me count the ways...:rolleyes:

Did he return to racing?
User avatar lartiste

Previous

Return to The Clinic