Register

The blurred lines of Livestrong - the spin bike sham

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

06 Apr 2011 02:43

Race Radio wrote:It is only a matter of time until we have Livestrong cigarettes.

Much has been made lately about the link between HGH and cancer growth. It is impossible to ignore that many of the top advertisers on Livestrong are Anti Aging quacks pushing HGH.

Given that even Dr. Ferrari was concerned that his doping regime contributed to Lance's cancer it is hard to believe that Livestrong is not aware of this issue.

And there are crappy content farm articles on Livestrong.com that pretty much promote HGH for weight loss:

How to Lose Weight With HGH

Weight Loss With HCG or HGH

Both of those articles really softpedal the risks, the message is clearly that using HGH or HCG are options. The first article is written by a woman who has an English degree and the second by a woman who has a "Bachelor of Science in lifestyle management", whatever that is.

I had an experience with one of these anti-aging docs that turned out very bad, I didn't realize what he was until after he had severely overprescribed me a drug. Really sad to see this stuff on a site that has a stated goal of improving health but that's what you get when you care more about money than content.
User avatar Epicycle

06 Apr 2011 18:39

Ferminal wrote:"The polyphenol compounds in green tea have shown to inhibit the growth and proliferation of stomach cancer..."

Of course, I doubt many people would never use Demand Media as a source of hard science, but if you're going to quote them at least get it right.

That's what happens when one is too busy trolling to read any more that the title.:cool:
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

06 Apr 2011 18:46

Upon closer inspection (and actually reading the article):

Too much alcohol consumption and smoking may also cause stomach cancer. Green tea may provide benefits in reducing the risk of stomach cancer.

:eek:
[SIZE="2"]"Whoever still can't put one and one together about what happened in cycling is beyond my help."
Jan Ullrich[/SIZE]
User avatar MacRoadie

06 Apr 2011 20:01

Geez guys, do I really need to spell this out for you?

C'mon, LiveStrong promotes HGH and Green Tea right?
So called health effects.....
At least that is what LiveStrong feeds its Sheeples baaabaaa.

BUT
According to Dr. Robert O. Young, Director of Research at the pH Miracle Living Center, "green tea is acidic and will contribute to the dietary acid and metabolic loads in the tissue causing a cancerous condition or making a cancerous condition worse."

http://articlesofhealth.blogspot.com/2009/07/green-tea-is-acidic-and-may-cause.html

Suprised you guys have not picked up on this yet.
Just trying to help.
User avatar Polish

06 Apr 2011 20:58

Polish wrote:Geez guys, do I really need to spell this out for you?

Just trying to help.

I'm surprised too. Whenever I think of credible, world-renown sources for medical information, I immediately think:

Johns Hopkins

The Mayo Clinic

Memorial Sloan-Kettering

and...

pH Miracle Living Center
[SIZE="2"]"Whoever still can't put one and one together about what happened in cycling is beyond my help."
Jan Ullrich[/SIZE]
User avatar MacRoadie

06 Apr 2011 21:03

read someplace that hibiscus tea can help you shake cancer. no yellow wrist band needed
fatandfast

06 Apr 2011 21:07

fatandfast wrote:read someplace that hibiscus tea can help you shake cancer. no yellow wrist band needed

yeah but it's just not the same is it :rolleyes:
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

06 Apr 2011 21:19

fatandfast wrote:read someplace that hibiscus tea can help you shake cancer. no yellow wrist band needed

Mmm, I think I read somewhere that the yellow wristband acts as catalyst.
[color="DarkGreen"]"There are going to be some days where the rider got lazy and did not bother to contaminate their penis in time."

Dave Stoller: [I]"Everybody cheats. I just didn't know."
[/color][/I]

[color="DarkGreen"]“If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth. ” ― Joseph Goebbels[/color]
User avatar Fausto's Schnauzer

06 Apr 2011 23:31

MacRoadie wrote:I'm surprised too. Whenever I think of credible, world-renown sources for medical information, I immediately think:

Johns Hopkins

The Mayo Clinic

Memorial Sloan-Kettering

and...

pH Miracle Living Center

John Hopkins, the Mayo Clinic, and Memorial Sloan-Kettering.
They all use and prescribe HGH don't they?

So maybe it IS ok to believe LiveStrong when they talk about the benefits of HGH and Green Tea.

Who 'da thunk
User avatar Polish

06 Apr 2011 23:58

Polish wrote:John Hopkins, the Mayo Clinic, and Memorial Sloan-Kettering.
They all use and prescribe HGH don't they?

So maybe it IS ok to believe LiveStrong when they talk about the benefits of HGH and Green Tea.

Who 'da thunk

Well, as usual the "who" isn't you.

No one has said that there aren't valid, theraputic uses for HGH. Guess what, they also use and prescribe EPO, steroids, morphine, and any number of other medications: all in a controlled, medically appropriate manner. No clue where you got the green tea red herring.

The issue arises when those medications are used illegally, for uses other than their appropriate medical prescription, or by practitioners of "fringe' medicine.

Now, back to the original issue: why is LIVEstrong partnering with a company which derives it's sole income from the production, marketing, and sale of alcoholic beverages?
Jan Ullrich[/SIZE]
User avatar MacRoadie

07 Apr 2011 00:19

According to Dr. Robert O. Young, Director of Research at the pH Miracle Living Center, "green tea is acidic and will contribute to the dietary acid and metabolic loads in the tissue causing a cancerous condition or making a cancerous condition worse."

This is junk science at its worst. In the first place, there is zero correlation between consumption of acidic substances and the pH at tissues. Hello, the pH of the stomach, with its HCl, is something like one, so there is no substance that one can consume that affects pH where digestion begins. A very strongly acidic environment is required for digestion, the composition of food substances is completely irrelevant to this process. Moreover, prganic acids like those present in green tea (and vinegar, e.g., which I never heard listed as a carcinogen), following absorption into the bloodstream, are easily buffered by substances in the blood, and when taken up by cells, by buffers in them, so they never affect tissue pH in the slightest.

Even if they did, I'm not aware of any studies associating acidic pH or acided substances in tissues with carcinogenic effects. Carcinogenesis is promoted by certain substance that may result in gene mutations or other chromosomal abnormalities, or affect certain metabolic pathways in cells. These processes are extremely complex, and there is a great deal we still don't understand about them. The evidence to date is that certain substances in green tea are beneficial; it's possible that there are also substances in green tea that could be harmful. But their acidic nature is not the source of these effects. Much as Miracle Institutes would love you to believe otherwise, there is no simple solution like altering pH.
Merckx index

07 Apr 2011 01:03

MacRoadie wrote:Now, back to the original issue: why is LIVEstrong partnering with a company which derives it's sole income from the production, marketing, and sale of alcoholic beverages?

Because beer can be good for you if it is medically supervised burp

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=ancient-brewmasters-made-medicinal-10-09-06
User avatar Polish

07 Apr 2011 01:36

Polish wrote:Because beer can be good for you if it is medically supervised burp

http://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode.cfm?id=ancient-brewmasters-made-medicinal-10-09-06

That is a load of crap, I have tried self prescribing beer in the medically recommended doses. It didn't do a thing for me, 1 to 2 drinks a day my ***..........:D
"Science flies us to the moon. Religion flies us into buildings."

Gods don't kill people, people with Gods kill people.
User avatar Hugh Januss
Veteran

07 Apr 2011 01:48

Polish wrote:Geez guys, do I really need to spell this out for you?

C'mon, LiveStrong promotes HGH and Green Tea right?
So called health effects.....
At least that is what LiveStrong feeds its Sheeples baaabaaa.

BUT

http://articlesofhealth.blogspot.com/2009/07/green-tea-is-acidic-and-may-cause.html

Just trying to help.

Once again:

"The researchers reviewed studies involving more than 1.6 million people in Asia, where green tea consumption is a regular habit. Boehm said that variables in how much green tea people drink and how different cancers grow makes it difficult to find a conclusive relationship about whether green tea helps prevent cancer."

The rest is just a random blog post about some Ph.D. referring to himself in third person.
Ferminal
Veteran

07 Apr 2011 01:54

Hugh Januss wrote:That is a load of crap, I have tried self prescribing beer in the medically recommended doses. It didn't do a thing for me, 1 to 2 drinks a day my ***..........:D

one to two is just a guideline. it's like aspirin, you have to triple the doseage
patricknd

07 Apr 2011 16:30

Unhappily, I have to learn as much as I can about advanced lung cancer in a short time in order to take care of a relative.

I found many thoughtful, helpful articles at the American Cancer Society website and, believe it or not, About.com.

The Livestrong site was completely useless to me. Oh, they wanted to sell me a pamphlet. Screw that.

If you want to support "awareness," please direct your contributions to the American Cancer Society.

Thank you.
Speedzero

07 Apr 2011 17:29

I can tell you, they make great c*ck rings if nothing else.
Thoughtforfood

07 Apr 2011 17:53

Thoughtforfood wrote:I can tell you, they make great c*ck rings if nothing else.

If you put two of them together, they act like Wonder Twin rings.

Jan Ullrich[/SIZE]
User avatar MacRoadie

07 Apr 2011 19:01

Thoughtforfood wrote:I can tell you, they make great c*ck rings if nothing else.

you hillbillys got some girth. The Onion sells the yellow bands that say "cheat to win" you may want to try one of those blood restrictors
fatandfast

07 Apr 2011 20:29

fatandfast wrote:you hillbillys got some girth. The Onion sells the yellow bands that say "cheat to win" you may want to try one of those blood restrictors

Yep, 'cause you never know when yur gunna run into a couple of people in a canoe with pretty mouths.
Thoughtforfood

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic