Register

Most memorable doped perfomances?

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

09 May 2018 19:14

burning wrote:
I might add a few more riders to this list. :p

Stapleton specials - Sinkewitz, Gerdemann, EBH (I know that Sky destroyed him), Greg Henderson, Goss, Cav, Velits, Rabon, Monfort, Ciolek. Nearly all of these guys lost a step or two after leaving Stapleton teams. Seriously, what was happening on those teams?

Gerald (Ciolek) was squeaky clean. Never had the focus though, always party with the wrong people (hear me Stauffi?).
Mr.38%

Re:

09 May 2018 19:46

shalgo wrote:Regarding Perdiguero, of whom GuyIncognito writes:

"Oh boy that Volta Catalunya he won. Bunch sprint? Win. TT? Win. Mountains? Win. Up to that week he'd been about the level Jesus Herrada is now, a good unspectacular rider."

That result was unbelievable, but there are two things that moderate it somewhat. First the competition there was weak: the two other riders on the final podium were Karpets and Laiseka. Second, his previous results were well above the level of a Jesus Herrada: wins at the Classica a los Puertos, GP Indurain, Vuelta a la Rioja, top ten in Milan-San Remo and the Giro di Lombardia. Earlier that spring, he had finished 2nd in the Setmana Catalana, 2 seconds behind Purito but ahead of Garzelli, Contador, Mayo, Basso, Leipheimer, etc, while finishing in the top 6 on every stage. The following season he was top ten in both Amstel and LBL.

Sorry, but a rider like Perdiguero had no business finishing on the podium of major short stage races. Apart from Rioja which was 3 categories below Setmana Catalana, I don't think he ever featured in the overall standing of a stage race before 2004.

Edit: ok, he finished 5th in Poland and 7th in Langkawi. Still, hardly amazing stage racing pedigree to suddenly win a HC race.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

09 May 2018 19:51

And for my contribution - Angel Vicioso finishing 4th in of the most doped races, the 2006 Tour de Suisse. And that by a rider who "won" a bunch sprint in the Giro in 2000.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

09 May 2018 20:42

My favorite part of that list was that Sky went out and signed a bunch of riders with high scores on it.
User avatar GuyIncognito

11 May 2018 14:25

I wish I knew how to photoshop.
If so, I'd paint the Mapei kit on the top two finishers of yesterday's stage of the Giro.
User avatar the delgados

11 May 2018 17:17

Plenty of options though, covering various types of terrains, cycling cultures and suspicion levels. That kind of one-two isn't that strange. After all, sure Chaves didn't lose much to the bunch on the climb, but he is already somebody we know is a world class climber. And Simon Yates didn't spring out of the group any more surprisingly than, say, Damiano Cunego on Aitana in 2009. It's not like either of them are unproven, maybe the others were just too tame for their own good waiting for future stages, à la 2012, or maybe they weren't and it was a ridiculous show of strength. Time will tell. Pozzovivo, López and maybe Pinot were perhaps less active than we might expect, but Bennett has mostly been a follower-type to date, Carapaz is unproven, Dumoulin is perhaps best suited to tempo, and Froome is clearly below his best, and they didn't exactly seem to be chasing Yates especially hard either even despite Froome only just about following (again, perhaps a harbinger of 2012 when Scarponi said they had seen Hesjedal suffering at the back a few times early in the race and didn't attack him as they assumed he'd fall away, and paid for it when he rode himself into form.

Aleksandr Vinokourov/Andrey Kashechkin, 2006

Leonardo Piepoli/Juan José Cobo, 2008

Leonardo Piepoli/Gilberto Simoni, 2007

Mirsamad Pourseyedi/Amir Kohladouz, 2013

Amaro Antunes/Raúl Alarcón, 2017

Serge Pauwels/Omar Fraile, 2017

Óscar Sevilla/Sergio Luís Henao, 2010

Ion Izagirre/Alejandro Valverde, 2014

Since Gewiss and Mapei managed to get three up there it was kind of special, makes it almost a shame LA-MSS couldn't drop Garzelli cos it meant Vicioso had to actually sprint there in Gijón. The other big shame is that CSF never did a similar 1-2 in 2008 (they did do a 1-2 in the Passo Fedaia stage, but Sella was floating far too easily for even his teammates to get close to him).
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

Re:

11 May 2018 17:45

Libertine Seguros wrote:Since Gewiss and Mapei managed to get three up there it was kind of special

Mapei had the strongest rider in the race and he didn't even make that top 3!
Ballerini had a succession of punctures that dropped him minutes behind. Yet all by himself he was tearing into the gap that the front 3 had. Easily stronger than the 3 put together.

Lefevere panicked that his golden boy Museeuw might not win and told Ballerini to stop working. The excuse was that he was bringing the sprinter Zanini on his wheel. Ballerini countered that he could easily drop Zanini on the next cobbled section but of course Lefevere wouldn't allow him to even try. Museeuw must win, after all.

Lefevere insists Squinzi ordered it. Tafi and Bortolami are adamant that was not the case. Based on his past behaviour and statements, I'm inclined to believe literally everyone over Lefevere.

Also, you missed one of the many many Saunier 1-2s. Piepoli-Ricco on Tre Cime.
And we almost had another at the Basque Country with Cobo and Gil, until Gil crashed and hurt himself.
User avatar GuyIncognito

11 May 2018 18:21

Excellent history LS & GI! Re. the 1-2, really the only things I found suspect were Chaves' ability to hold off the entire peleton out front (having Haig up there probably helped a lot, granted), and then Yates' brutal jump around 1.5k to go. Both legit issues of possible concern though, I suppose.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

11 May 2018 21:31

Some more obscure ones as well (probably for the best not to remind people of these ones):

Juan Carlos Rojas / César Rojas, 2016

César Rojas / Juan Carlos Rojas, 2014

Juan Carlos Rojas / César Rojas, 2014

Amir Kohladouz / Ghader Mizbani, 2013

Mirsamad Pourseyedi / Ghader Mizbani, 2013

Amir Kohladouz / Ghader Mizbani, 2013
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

12 May 2018 15:48

Since all performances are doped I might as well just go with the most memorable performances I've seen.

- Greg Lemond, 1989 Tour de France, stage 21 TT, Champs-Élysées. World record performance to win the Tour de France by 8 seconds!
- Floyd Landis, 2006 Tour de France, stage 17, Morzine. Best performance in the past 50 years!
- Alberto Contador, 2009 Tour de France, Stage 15, Verbier. The defining moment for the best GT rider of his generation.
- Mark Cavendish, 2009 Tour de France, Stage 21, Champs-Élysées. Given a tremendous launch from Mark Renshaw and takes off like a rocket. A bunch sprint turns into a solo breakaway as he wins by miles.
- Fabian Cancellara, 2010 Ronde van Vlaanderen. Infamous attack at Muur gains him an instant 30-second lead. Great encore a week later at Paris-Roubaix!
- Alberto Contador, 2012 Vuelta a Espana, Stage 17, Fuente De. Epic solo attack from 50km out! Valverde is able to close ground but Rodriguez cannot keep up and costs him the race.
- Chris Froome, 2013 Tour de France, Stage 15, Ventoux. A truly electric performance! Vicious 1000+ Watt acceleration leaves everyone behind. Great encore performance two years later, in 2015 Tour de France, Stage 10 (La Pierre Saint-Martin)
- Vincenzo Nibali, 2014 Tour de France, Stage 5, Arenberg Porte du Hainaut (the cobblestone stage). An epic team performance from Team Astana propels Nibali into the driver's seat. To be followed by an encore performance in Stage 18 (Hataucam).
- Vincenzo Nibalii, 2016 Giro, Stages 19-20. The comeback of comebacks! The best comeback in a Grand Tour in the last 30 years (since Floyd Landis' comeback was stricken from the record books).
DanielSong39

12 May 2018 16:58

@Libertine Seguros.
I wanted to say Saunier Duval, but I forget the proper spelling and was too lazy to look it up.
Kudos for compiling an excellent compilation.
User avatar the delgados

Re:

13 May 2018 01:32

DanielSong39 wrote:Since all performances are doped I might as well just go with the most memorable performances I've seen.

- Vincenzo Nibali, 2014 Tour de France, Stage 5, Arenberg Porte du Hainaut (the cobblestone stage). An epic team performance from Team Astana propels Nibali into the driver's seat. To be followed by an encore performance in Stage 18 (Hataucam).

One of my favorite performances ever. I wish that that Tour wasn't so stacked with MTFs and had all the big names in top form and finishing it, because it would have made this stage more memorable and influential. Astana was incredible here. How has Fuglsang not won Paris Roubaix, seeing how he performed that day?
spiritualride

13 May 2018 15:40

spiritualride wrote:
DanielSong39 wrote:Since all performances are doped I might as well just go with the most memorable performances I've seen.

One of my favorite performances ever. I wish that that Tour wasn't so stacked with MTFs and had all the big names in top form and finishing it, because it would have made this stage more memorable and influential. Astana was incredible here. How has Fuglsang not won Paris Roubaix, seeing how he performed that day?

Astana broke all the big names.
- Chris Froome had a dodgy wrist and couldn't keep up in stage 5, even before the crashes
- Contador took one risk too many and crashed in stage 10
- Porte and Valverde collapsed trying to keep up
- The rest raced tactically among themselves and tried to move up in the standings through attrition

Basically Astana took all the what-if's out of the equation that year and broke the top contenders both mentally and physically.
DanielSong39

14 May 2018 07:49

spiritualride wrote:

Well Fuglsang and Nibali still got dropped by Boom, who regularly tries to win Roubaix and hasn't even made the podium.
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

15 May 2018 12:25

DanielSong39 wrote:- Chris Froome had a dodgy wrist and couldn't keep up in stage 5, even before the crashes
- Contador took one risk too many and crashed in stage 10

Froome crashed out before the cobbles, Contador crashed on a straight road while taking no risks whatsoever.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

15 May 2018 13:51

Contador crashed on the Petit Ballon descent. Which is actually quite narrow and tricky with rough road surface as I've seen in multiple Vosges pictures and videos. He must have been a bit behind at that moment as well. Because in the coverage you see the peleton led by Astana turn left from the Petit Ballon descent into the street that ascends the Col du Platzerwasel. Shortly after you see supossed live pictures from a crashed Contador further up the road.
User avatar staubsauger

Re:

15 May 2018 20:03

staubsauger wrote:Contador crashed on the Petit Ballon descent. Which is actually quite narrow and tricky with rough road surface as I've seen in multiple Vosges pictures and videos. He must have been a bit behind at that moment as well. Because in the coverage you see the peleton led by Astana turn left from the Petit Ballon descent into the street that ascends the Col du Platzerwasel. Shortly after you see supossed live pictures from a crashed Contador further up the road.

If i recall correctly, he was reaching for something in his pocket as he hit a pot hole and thus crashed
User avatar infeXio

15 May 2018 20:19

infeXio wrote:
staubsauger wrote:Contador crashed on the Petit Ballon descent. Which is actually quite narrow and tricky with rough road surface as I've seen in multiple Vosges pictures and videos. He must have been a bit behind at that moment as well. Because in the coverage you see the peleton led by Astana turn left from the Petit Ballon descent into the street that ascends the Col du Platzerwasel. Shortly after you see supossed live pictures from a crashed Contador further up the road.

If i recall correctly, he was reaching for something in his pocket as he hit a pot hole and thus crashed

Yes, Contador hit a pothole while putting food from his musette into his pockets.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

17 May 2018 11:17

The Russian Gazprom rider who won that Giro mountain time-trial in 2016. Foliforov I think it was. His teammate was also 4th on the day. I
QuickZulu
Newly Registered Member

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic