Register

Dave Millar - anti doping hero

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Dave Millar - anti doping hero

10 Oct 2015 11:51

I Like this bit
Count the ways in which it all went wrong: Paris-Roubaix refused to be a chimp happy to be smacked; the Tour was a broken dream; the form was not there for the Commie Games; all the fun was sucked out of the Vuelta when Millar broke his hand; the Worlds was another Tour de Sucksville for Team GB. You'd almost think that the fates were **** with David Millar, denying him the lap of honour he felt was his due, reminding him at each of the planned high points of his final season that, in professional cycling, there are no gifts.

BTW the reviewer's name is Feargal McKay.
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

11 Oct 2015 15:37

TourOfSardinia wrote:I Like this bit
Count the ways in which it all went wrong: Paris-Roubaix refused to be a chimp happy to be smacked; the Tour was a broken dream; the form was not there for the Commie Games; all the fun was sucked out of the Vuelta when Millar broke his hand; the Worlds was another Tour de Sucksville for Team GB. You'd almost think that the fates were **** with David Millar, denying him the lap of honour he felt was his due, reminding him at each of the planned high points of his final season that, in professional cycling, there are no gifts.

BTW the reviewer's name is Feargal McKay.

I do agree that Millar was just building a cash cow in his final year and trying to backend that off Vaughters. Probably the smartest thing JV ever did was cut him loose. Still Millar cleaned up and continues to do so. Before you know it he'll be working for Sky as a brand manager or something ridiculous like that.

Today, he has Castelli and Maserati as his sponsors. Not bad for a guy who doped, lied, lied some more, made **** up, lied again, whined a lot and lied some more, took HGH at Garmin then was booted.

Who said doping doesn't pay?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

11 Oct 2015 15:51

Millar's book is an ok read. Nowehere near as good as his first one, but ok. FMK_Rol is spot on with his repeated use of the word narcissism.
User avatar wendybnt

11 Oct 2015 15:59

Of course doping pays . If I was a young talented cyclist/athlete. I would dope ,take the cash, take the rewards. I get caught I would apologise" blame life pressure the media expectations" "didn't want to let anyone down" then get a 2 year ban.
I would then spend the next 2 years banned [no testing] dope myself up to the eyeballs " under medical supervision"
Be welcomed back to the peloton saying I am clean and I want to help clean up the sport " carry on doping but be more careful and enjoy the gains I made from my 2 years in exile and carry on as usual driving my Ferrari around my tax haven home in Monaco .
Or not dope in the first place have a high standard of ethics that sport drugs are bad. End up and live like most people do by having a drink and taking recreational drugs [ look at the stats] and work in Poundland for minimum wage.

you choose.
ray j willings

Re:

11 Oct 2015 17:43

ray j willings wrote:Of course doping pays . If I was a young talented cyclist/athlete. I would dope ,take the cash, take the rewards. I get caught I would apologise" blame life pressure the media expectations" "didn't want to let anyone down" then get a 2 year ban.
I would then spend the next 2 years banned [no testing] dope myself up to the eyeballs " under medical supervision"
Be welcomed back to the peloton saying I am clean and I want to help clean up the sport " carry on doping but be more careful and enjoy the gains I made from my 2 years in exile and carry on as usual driving my Ferrari around my tax haven home in Monaco .
Or not dope in the first place have a high standard of ethics that sport drugs are bad. End up and live like most people do by having a drink and taking recreational drugs [ look at the stats] and work in Poundland for minimum wage.

you choose.

Whilst not the Froome thread you can see why a hack like him would go down the doling path. Wiggins also, who was getting late in his career and had no money to show for it. Doping? It's not a choice, it's a lifestyle.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

11 Oct 2015 18:01

thehog wrote:. Before you know it he'll be working for Sky as a brand manager or something ridiculous like that.

just inherit the winning behaviours remit from fran when fecund fran is at gestation
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

11 Oct 2015 18:03

Fergal posts here - I sometimes disagree with him but his knowledge of the sport, and its history, is seriously impressive.
Digger

11 Oct 2015 18:07

yeah, its really a no choice, a hobsons choice. if u wanna be a pro, u get with the program.

in this sense, its a good choice, sought of a false dilemma, but if it is an existential pursuit to be a pro, u gotta do what u gotta do.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

12 Oct 2015 01:00

blackcat wrote:
thehog wrote:. Before you know it he'll be working for Sky as a brand manager or something ridiculous like that.

just inherit the winning behaviours remit from fran when fecund fran is at gestation

They'd be an awesome brother and sister team of winning behaviors.

He could write a third book on winning which could go with Brailsford's book on being a genius.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

13 Oct 2015 02:02

Bronstein

Re:

13 Oct 2015 06:06

Yeah, like how his buddies are all clean, but Astana are doped to the gills.
Also, he says doping is inherent in cycling and started since day one, yet no one really challenges his claim that aside from a couple riders on Astana, the sport is now clean.
M'kay.
User avatar the delgados

13 Oct 2015 07:25

A couple of riders except Landa, who was 3rd at this year's Giro and is now moving to Sky, right?
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

Re:

13 Oct 2015 12:44

ray j willings wrote:Of course doping pays . If I was a young talented cyclist/athlete. I would dope ,take the cash, take the rewards. I get caught I would apologise" blame life pressure the media expectations" "didn't want to let anyone down" then get a 2 year ban.

you choose.

You hit the nail on the head. The biggest victims of cheating dopers are the clean men (and women) who understand perfectly well that doping is cheating and want no part of it. They don't have a reasonable chance of beating successful dopers like J. Longo, HWMNBN, Valverde, etc.
arthurvandelay

13 Oct 2015 13:21

Gah! :eek:

At a Guardian Live event in London, the Guardian's cycling supremo William Fotheringham meets one of the most decorated men in British cycling, David Millar, to discuss his career and the pumped-up world of competitive cycling. Contains strong language.

Contains hyperbole.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

13 Oct 2015 16:15

thehog wrote:Gah! :eek:

At a Guardian Live event in London, the Guardian's cycling superbrownnoser William Fotheringham meets one of the most narcissitic men in British cycling, David Millar, to discuss his career and the doped-up world of competitive cycling. Contains loads of BS.

Fixed free of charge :p
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Oct 2015 16:54

arthurvandelay wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. The biggest victims of cheating dopers are the clean men (and women) who understand perfectly well that doping is cheating and want no part of it. They don't have a reasonable chance of beating successful dopers like J. Longo, HWMNBN, Valverde, etc.

who?
pastronef

13 Oct 2015 17:02

pastronef wrote:
arthurvandelay wrote:

who?

he who must not be named. ie voldemort
Letters to and from the pro peloton. twitter | blog
User avatar Dear Wiggo
Veteran

13 Oct 2015 19:14

Dear Wiggo wrote:
pastronef wrote:
arthurvandelay wrote:

who?

still have no clue
pastronef

Re:

13 Oct 2015 20:04

you choose.

I think the notion that it is either dope or work in Poundland for minimun wage is a rather outdated idea. Many of todays riders are studying whilst competing(look at Pozzovivo as just one example). Many more were capable of attending college but chose cycling knowing they would have the chance to return to their studies if cycling didn't work out. Cycling is no longer the working class sport it was back in the 70/80s and many young riders have plenty of options outside of the sport if they don't make it. The average anlgo/scandanavian pro rider hardly comes from a poor background anyways. In fact many come from well off families. The options for the likes of say Kreuziger/N.Roche or JV/Hamilton were hardly dope or work for minimun wage!!! For them the fame thing might be as much as a draw as the money.

An average domestique at Pro Tour level makes around 100k after 3-4 seasons in the pro game which is good money but when that period of income is limited. It is hardly big bucks to live off.

Think of guys like Phil Gaimon who have hung around the US scene for ages whilst making peanuts. Even at Garmin, Gaimon would have been on the lower pay scale of 40-70k. Plenty of people in the real work make that so why continue to ride clean for so long? Do some actually just ride for the love of the sport?

Just like the real World, not everyone is desperate to make it to the top of the tree and there will be those who are happy to stay clean and eke out a decent living at a lower level. That includes riders at PT level as I have been informed by a few insiders.
pmcg76

13 Oct 2015 22:16

pastronef wrote:
Dear Wiggo wrote:
pastronef wrote:
arthurvandelay wrote:

who?

still have no clue

Its a refference to a popular children's book.

Basically means Armstrong
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic