Register

Dave Millar - anti doping hero

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Dave Millar - anti doping hero

06 Jan 2016 22:05

thehog wrote:Maybe David needs to speak to David Walsh? And also plumb the money that he was paid for the bomb that was The Program into his own film, LOL! :)

They're still looking for investors? That's been going since when, 2013? It was meant to be abt 2014 farewell, wasn't it, except that went tits up.
User avatar fmk_RoI

06 Jan 2016 22:27

fmk_RoI wrote:
thehog wrote:Maybe David needs to speak to David Walsh? And also plumb the money that he was paid for the bomb that was The Program into his own film, LOL! :)

They're still looking for investors? That's been going since when, 2013? It was meant to be abt 2014 farewell, wasn't it, except that went tits up.

I wonder if any of the investors received their "special ride"' with David?
User avatar thehog
Veteran

07 Jan 2016 01:35

thehog wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

I wonder if any of the investors received their "special ride"' with David?

Sounds like they all did ;)
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

Re:

07 Jan 2016 15:01

User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re: Re:

07 Jan 2016 16:45

I listened to it... uses the Hugh Grant charming chap routine...

I like how he talks about his life spiralling out of control of being caught and he drank himself to numb the pain. Now he just takes money from people and numbs the pain by drinking?

Talks about UKAD being at the vanguard and leading the anti-doping out of all the NADOs, couldn't stop laughing at that point. Does UKAD actually test their athletes leading up to major competition?

Routine David Millar stuff, he is a fluffer for the fanboys. Gets them all worked up and ready...
User avatar thehog
Veteran

07 Jan 2016 16:47

thehog wrote:

I like how he talks about his life spiralling out of control of being caught and he drank himself to numb the pain. Now he just takes money from people and numbs the pain by drinking?

Talks about UKAD being at the vanguard and leading the anti-doping out of all the NADOs, couldn't stop laughing at that point. Does UKAD actually test their athletes leading up to major competition?

Routine David Millar stuff, he is a fluffer for the fanboys. Gets them all worked up and ready...

Love that. Good post Hog :D
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

07 Jan 2016 18:30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03dr12q

So Millar was on the WADA athletes committee and says in 2009 someone from the IAAF confided in him that athletics was riddled with doping. But what did Millar do about this. In the interview just excuse that WADA's hands were tied, could do nothing. Took until 2014 and the Russian whistlerblowers and journalist to expose what Millar etc at WADA and IAAF knew about but not a sole acted on. Only after the ARD documentary did WADA do anything about this with its IC report. Can you imagine all the clean athletes that would have not had their carreers ruined had Davd 'antidoping hero' Millar spoke out at the time. Actually then maybe I'd see him as a real antidoping advocate. Not just a antidoping charlatan, looking to cash in of the back of real clean athletes every chance he can.
Anaconda

Re:

07 Jan 2016 19:25

Anaconda wrote:So Millar was on the WADA athletes committee

It is worth remembering that, once upon a time, Millar reminded people that he knew who was doing what in cycling. Then he conveniently forgot (or realised his self-aggrandising BS carried no weight in the peloton). Ask yourself: is there really any difference between Millar's anecdote about an unnamed source and someone, say, taking to Twitter to say they have it on authority from UKAD that Sky are bad to the bone but are just too damned clever to allow themselves to be caught? They're both just trying to tell the world they know more than you do.
User avatar fmk_RoI

07 Jan 2016 20:03

fmk_RoI wrote:

It is worth remembering that, once upon a time, Millar reminded people that he knew who was doing what in cycling. Then he conveniently forgot (or realised his self-aggrandising BS carried no weight in the peloton). Ask yourself: is there really any difference between Millar's anecdote about an unnamed source and someone, say, taking to Twitter to say they have it on authority from UKAD that Sky are bad to the bone but are just too damned clever to allow themselves to be caught? They're both just trying to tell the world they know more than you do.

Won't argue that Millar is a real pro at spouting self-aggrandizing BS. But imho by accepting a position on the WADA athletes commission there was some greater responsibility on him to be more than just the PR spouting mouthpiece that he was in his position as a WT Team pro rider.

Unfortunately I took a look at that DM project movie web site. Though in hindsight it is pretty funny how that all worked out. But it did lead me to this clip on year 1 of Slipstream, the Team camp/intro, thought it might be amusing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLYlhdtsMgo

At 4:42, while sitting between Hesjedal and CVV, Millar says his "situation is completely different to the rest of the team as he is an ex doper". That's comedy gold given that he was pretty much in a team full of "ex-dopers" and either was lying or totally unaware. Finger on the pulse David.
Anaconda

Re:

07 Jan 2016 20:15

Anaconda wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03dr12q

So Millar was on the WADA athletes committee and says in 2009 someone from the IAAF confided in him that athletics was riddled with doping. But what did Millar do about this. In the interview just excuse that WADA's hands were tied, could do nothing. Took until 2014 and the Russian whistlerblowers and journalist to expose what Millar etc at WADA and IAAF knew about but not a sole acted on. Only after the ARD documentary did WADA do anything about this with its IC report. Can you imagine all the clean athletes that would have not had their carreers ruined had Davd 'antidoping hero' Millar spoke out at the time. Actually then maybe I'd see him as a real antidoping advocate. Not just a antidoping charlatan, looking to cash in of the back of real clean athletes every chance he can.

Like all good David Millar stories, the events occurred over a drink at the bar :cool:

Yes David you got drunk with some random guy at the IAAF and you can't even remember his name, the only part you remember was the sport was riddled with doping.
Last edited by thehog on 07 Jan 2016 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

07 Jan 2016 20:23

Anaconda wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

Won't argue that Millar is a real pro at spouting self-aggrandizing BS. But imho by accepting a position on the WADA athletes commission there was some greater responsibility on him to be more than just the PR spouting mouthpiece that he was in his position as a WT Team pro rider.

Unfortunately I took a look at that DM project movie web site. Though in hindsight it is pretty funny how that all worked out. But it did lead me to this clip on year 1 of Slipstream, the Team camp/intro, thought it might be amusing to watch.

At 4:42, while sitting between Hesjedal and CVV, Millar says his "situation is completely different to the rest of the team as he is an ex doper". That's comedy gold given that he was pretty much in a team full of "ex-dopers" and either was lying or totally unaware. Finger on the pulse David.

Lying and proves that Slippystream are the snakeoil team of choice.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

08 Jan 2016 00:17

thehog wrote:

Like all good David Millar stories, the events occurred over a drink at the bar :cool:

Yes David you got drunk with some random guy at the IAAF and you can't even remember his name, the only part you remember was the sport was riddled with doping.

imagine Radcliffe and Millar doing some Eugenics thing... and producing the best liar ever! evah! eva I tell you... super muscular christianity liars
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

08 Jan 2016 00:28

Anaconda wrote:
fmk_RoI wrote:

if I wanna imbibe bu!!$h1t on celluloid, I will watch Bjarne Riis' Overcoming. This is just a plagiarism.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

08 Jan 2016 00:39

blackcat wrote:
thehog wrote:

imagine Radcliffe and Millar doing some Eugenics thing... and producing the best liar ever! evah! eva I tell you... super muscular christianity liars

BBC on hand to take drunkin conversations at the bar as a minuted meeting without the actual minutes. Did it happen, did it not? David Millar said it did and now the BBC have validated it.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

08 Jan 2016 02:08

thehog wrote:Yes David you got drunk with some random guy at the IAAF and you can't even remember his name, the only part you remember was the sport was riddled with doping.
No, no, no. He remembered the where (Berlin), the when (2009) and the what (Athletic World Championships). It was just that elusive "who" that he "honestly can't remember."

LOL. The story itself left a lasting impression, but the only detail he can't seem to remember is who told it to him. :rolleyes:

My glass of Chivas Regal was 3/4 full. The rain fell lightly outside, under a deep grey sky. I was shaken by the sudden realization that it was the anniversary of the day I had saved my childhood friend from near drowning.

Lady Gaga dominated the airwaves from the passing taxis just outside the veranda, while the Swine Flu epidemic still captured the newspaper headlines.

I distinctly recall the faint sound of an Armani suit brushing up against my companion's Oscar de la Renta sleeveless gown, as the unmistakable whiff of a Cohiba Behike announced the arrival of a surprise guest. He appeared thinner than I had imagined, his native accent fading from his extended time abroad. He whispered of possible doping within the ranks, and sought my advice as a former dark lord.

The time: 9:17 pm. I thought of Stefan & Klauss, the two school children I met on the street early that morning who had challenged me to a run. Had these innocent young boys known of my doping past? I hoped for a clean sporting future for both of them.

I tried to concentrate on the man beside me, his Vacheron Tour de l’Ile catching my eye. Could he begin to grasp the depth of the subject he was entering into?

"Bishop to C5; King to C4"

This was the drama unfolding just next to us. The perfect distraction to divert the whispering man's attention elsewhere. How I longed to unhinge myself from his steely gaze.

"Doping in athletics." It was more than I wanted to hear.

I retrieved my Samsung i7500 from my pocket and dialed the front desk: +49 30 2553 1234. My room, # 262. Had it been prepared? I could feign illness and excuse myself from this man's menacing inquiries.

This man...this man...if only I could remember his name.
User avatar Jacques de Molay

08 Jan 2016 02:50

thehog wrote:

Not wrong. The Bike Gaydar shills are lapping it up
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

08 Jan 2016 13:07

Jacques de Molay wrote:
thehog wrote:Yes David you got drunk with some random guy at the IAAF and you can't even remember his name, the only part you remember was the sport was riddled with doping.
No, no, no. He remembered the where (Berlin), the when (2009) and the what (Athletic World Championships). It was just that elusive "who" that he "honestly can't remember."

LOL. The story itself left a lasting impression, but the only detail he can't seem to remember is who told it to him. :rolleyes:

My glass of Chivas Regal was 3/4 full. The rain fell lightly outside, under a deep grey sky. I was shaken by the sudden realization that it was the anniversary of the day I had saved my childhood friend from near drowning.

Lady Gaga dominated the airwaves from the passing taxis just outside the veranda, while the Swine Flu epidemic still captured the newspaper headlines.

I distinctly recall the faint sound of an Armani suit brushing up against my companion's Oscar de la Renta sleeveless gown, as the unmistakable whiff of a Cohiba Behike announced the arrival of a surprise guest. He appeared thinner than I had imagined, his native accent fading from his extended time abroad. He whispered of possible doping within the ranks, and sought my advice as a former dark lord.

The time: 9:17 pm. I thought of Stefan & Klauss, the two school children I met on the street early that morning who had challenged me to a run. Had these innocent young boys known of my doping past? I hoped for a clean sporting future for both of them.

I tried to concentrate on the man beside me, his Vacheron Tour de l’Ile catching my eye. Could he begin to grasp the depth of the subject he was entering into?

This was the drama unfolding just next to us. The perfect distraction to divert the whispering man's attention elsewhere. How I longed to unhinge myself from his steely gaze.

I retrieved my Samsung i7500 from my pocket and dialed the front desk: +49 30 2553 1234. My room, # 262. Had it been prepared? I could feign illness and excuse myself from this man's menacing inquiries.

I was unaware that Armani suits and DeLaRenta gowns make their own distinct sounds. So educational, and so expensive brand droppy.
Nick C.

08 Jan 2016 13:26

Jacques de Molay wrote:

Did Millar actually say this? If so the amount of detail is incredible, apart from the guys name of course...
lol'd at 'former dark lord'
motty89

09 Jan 2016 03:24

sounds like a really **** creative writing composition in grade 6.

Millar failed his A levels in English right?
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

09 Jan 2016 09:51

Millar is a legend, he waits years to reveal the incredible secrets about doping that he knew about before anyone else and incredibly he gets given airtime and is still seen as a vocal anti-doper.

Well, I can exclusively reveal here that the winner of the 1988 100m sprint at the olympics was using performance enhancing drugs. Take that Millar.

Seriously, shouldn't he be sanctioned for knowing about doping activity but not revealing it? At the very least he should be removed from any committee or association that has a serious anti-doping brief. Being aware of doping but not reporting it is part of the problem we have and yet again, Millar seems to be a part of the problem not of the solution.
bobbins

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic