Register

So ... BMC

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

So ... BMC

20 Mar 2012 04:03

What do folks think? Sucked out a bit too much blood at the last training camp? Some bad **** they imported?

I'm not saying there is any major team doping going on, but .... :confused:
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper

20 Mar 2012 04:24

Ripper wrote:What do folks think? Sucked out a bit too much blood at the last training camp? Some bad **** they imported?

then what are you saying? LOL

You appear to be implying that the reason that none of the riders in the team are meeting expectations is somehow drug related - and specific to the members of that team. If what you suggest is to be considered accurate, surely the only conclusion you can take from the fact that its only riders in that team is that it is team driven?

Anyway, no - I don't think that has anything to do with the lack of results so far.
No, I am not a Moderator on CyclingNews - stop bothering me! :D

http://velorooms.com

mastersracer wrote:Ironically, statistical studies confirm (with statistical significance!) that people who make these sorts of claims about statistics have an IQ at least 2 standard deviations below the mean.
User avatar Martin318is

20 Mar 2012 04:45

Martin318is wrote:then what are you saying? LOL

Perhaps I'm just trolling :p

On a more serious note, when a whole team of superstars is having such a problem getting results, it does make me wonder a bit. Of course, there a number of plausible reasons for this, many of which have been discussed. But I am a bit curious. It is not like Andy R does not have his own history :eek:

So, I am curious of folks opinions on the matter. But I do not have some sort of fixed belief I am inflicting on everyone.
JimmyFingers wrote:Look I no way dispute Wiggins ... he is doping, he's at it all the time, and has been for years.
User avatar Ripper

20 Mar 2012 06:08

perhaps you are, and have only just realized how stupid this thread is.
User avatar danjo007

20 Mar 2012 06:31

Their days haven't come so far. They signed Gilbert clearly realizing he will never repeat even something close to 2011 season. Evans is just getting older and can't deserve to spray efforts on all the races. A competitive Thor is yet to come. I don't understand what all that has to do with doping.
User avatar airstream

20 Mar 2012 07:33

Ripper wrote:What do folks think? Sucked out a bit too much blood at the last training camp? Some bad **** they imported?

the soigneur caught with lots of PEDS begs to differ about 'major team doping going on'.........
"ahaha, ever had the feeling you been cheated?" JL SF Jan'78.

Jean Dubuffet: "For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity."
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

20 Mar 2012 12:02

Haha. You never remarked that there is this phenomen that people sharing enough time with each other often infect each other with a simple flu ?
Alpechraxler

20 Mar 2012 19:20

Nah, they just have a lot of stars and are having trouble balancing those out. They have too many chiefs, not enough indians, and because of how star-studded their lineup is, other teams aren't willing to do the work for them, so they're burning out what few domestiques they have in the early running then being at the mercy of others later on. Also, lots of people competing for the same goals = potentially a lot of behind-the-scenes bickering and negotiating that detracts from the racing.

There's absolutely no reason for this thread to be in the Clinic instead of the Pro Road Cycling forum until there's something beyond idle speculation in it.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

20 Mar 2012 21:08

This takes the mick, a bit, don't you think? It gets a bit OTT, but is still understandable, when people say "he's doing well, he must be doped". But now if a team is doing badly, it's because they've doped.
User avatar Caruut

20 Mar 2012 22:56

Would it be fairer to say that it's more of a case of Gilbert and Evans (and Ballan I suppose) not doing as well as it was expected?

Last year they had a stage and GC win in Tirreno for Evans, second in the MSB and the stage in Sardegna for Ballan and a 3rd in the Tirreno stage for Evans.

Not really that many podium places when you think about it.
User avatar roundabout
Veteran

20 Mar 2012 23:00

Caruut wrote:it's because they've doped.

Or just because they've not this time.. I'll show myself out.
Rest In Peace:
Craig Walsh 1985 - 2012
User avatar Havetts

20 Mar 2012 23:45

Or could it be they are changing the season priorities to focus on one race?

I can recall a team back in the late 90s early 00s who had that approach.
Velodude

20 Mar 2012 23:54

Libertine Seguros wrote:There's absolutely no reason for this thread to be in the Clinic instead of the Pro Road Cycling forum until there's something beyond idle speculation in it.

For the most part I agree. However, I wanted to open it up to thoughts on doping. That tends to cause some aggravation in the Pro Road Forum.
User avatar Ripper

20 Mar 2012 23:59

Caruut wrote:This takes the mick, a bit, don't you think? It gets a bit OTT, but is still understandable, when people say "he's doing well, he must be doped". But now if a team is doing badly, it's because they've doped.

I hear what you are saying. Actually, I am not saying "they doped". I am asking what others think. FWIW, I like BMC as a team and can think of several reasons why they could be doing poorly as a team. But given that team doping has occurred in the past, and has resulted in an entire team's poor performance in the past, I find I still ask myself questions when there are patterns.
User avatar Ripper

21 Mar 2012 00:01

Ripper wrote:I hear what you are saying. Actually, I am not saying "they doped". I am asking what others think. FWIW, I like BMC as a team and can think of several reasons why they could be doing poorly as a team. But given that team doping has occurred in the past, and has resulted in an entire team's poor performance in the past, I find I still ask myself questions when there are patterns.

Blimey, when was that?
User avatar Caruut

21 Mar 2012 00:05

Caruut wrote:Blimey, when was that?

I think there have been a few times with the team doping - USPS, Mapei, etc.

I think it was PDM that everyone got sick, but I can check on that if it is important.
User avatar Ripper

21 Mar 2012 00:35

Ripper wrote:I think there have been a few times with the team doping - USPS, Mapei, etc.

I think it was PDM that everyone got sick, but I can check on that if it is important.

T-Mobile as well, Vuelta 2004.

Six riders got vomiting and cramps in week 1 of the race, five dropping out. They claimed it was food poisoning but the hotel they stayed in after stage 4 (it was stage 5 they started dropping out, three on that day alone) tested their food and T-Mobile absolved them of blame...
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

21 Mar 2012 05:07

konecny Evans and Zabel held out. Which made me deluded thinking CE possibly, could not be on a program.
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

21 Mar 2012 14:51

There are more suspicious team than BMC at this stage of the season. That's if you want to suspect any team.
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

21 Mar 2012 15:18

Libertine Seguros wrote:T-Mobile as well, Vuelta 2004.

Six riders got vomiting and cramps in week 1 of the race, five dropping out. They claimed it was food poisoning but the hotel they stayed in after stage 4 (it was stage 5 they started dropping out, three on that day alone) tested their food and T-Mobile absolved them of blame...

Who was the 1 who stayed on? Very impressive to do so in that scenario.
The Hitch: Winner 2013 Vuelta cq game. Winner, Velorooms prediction game 2012, 2013. 2nd all time cq rankings.
The Father of Clean Cycling, Christophe Bassons wrote:When I look at cycling today, I get the impression that history is repeating itself: riders who are supposed to be rouleurs are climbing passes at the front of the race, and those who are supposed to be climbers are riding time trials at more than 50 kilometres per hour.

The story is beginning again, just as it did 14 years ago

journalist with integrity.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Next

Return to The Clinic