Register

Froome Talk Only

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

16 May 2018 02:05

Choppy Warburton wrote:
He sleeps very well, under the protective gaze of his loving, and well fed Python.

It’s not a python, it’s a puff adder. The problem is that it added wrong.

I found an article written by Raymond Kerckhoffs on Froome at the start of the Giro. This would have been a few days before his claim that Froome would be exonerated “within a few days.”. You have to have an account to access the article, but you can register free:

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/wielrennen/1995484/controverse-rond-froome

This is the important part, not just a rehash of the known facts of the case:

The Dutch doping expert Douwe de Boer is very clear: "Salbutamol is an innocent means". That immediately raises the question that many experts live in or that salbutamol should be on the doping list. First, WADA does not have any scientific report showing that the product is prestatiebevorderend

"Bevorderend” seems to mean “promotion”. I think the meaning here is that there is no evidence that salbutamol is performance enhancing, which of course is not true.

Second, scientists indicate that you need thousands of measurements for a correct threshold, which the WADA does not possess.

That's based on the theoretical article by Heuberger, et al., discussed up thread.

The UCI has confirmed to this newspaper that in recent years several riders have been acquitted by the national federations of a too high value of salbutamol. They could later prove their innocence. As these issues were not being publicised, they were able to investigate the cause of the ' positive ' test in peace. In The Froome affair, public opinion has already become an influential factor.

This is apparently the basis of Froome’s claim that other riders in his situation managed to defend their cases in private, and eventually got off. I’d like to know how many, because the available statistics indicate there must be very few, and of course we’d like to know what their urine levels of salbutamol were. Remember, Ulissi’s case was in 2015, and though the details of the decision were never published, nothing in his public statements indicated he was basing his case on the fact that other riders with levels like his got off. It would also be important to know whether any of these cases reached the Tribunal stage, or if they were cleared before then. Maybe they were cleared on a technicality, or maybe they were allowed to use a corrected value, even before that rule changed.

In any case, if this is all that Kerckhoffs has to base his prediction of acquittal on, I wouldn't take it very seriously. Not unless one of those previously exonerated cases was based on something that could apply to Froome.
Merckx index

16 May 2018 08:22

Douwe de Boer, he also defended Contador I believe. Funnily enough my mom worked with him in a lab during her studies. :p

And Telegraaf is gutter press, I wouldn't trust a word that Kerckhoffs writes.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

16 May 2018 10:02

Merckx index wrote:It would also be important to know whether any of these cases reached the Tribunal stage, or if they were cleared before then.
Very important question which is still not definitively answered, but we assume that there are no "phantom" Anti-Doping Tribunal cases out there, for the reasons already discussed in the thread. Still willing to be proved wrong on that... but nobody has produced evidence that there were cases in which: defendants never got suspended, yet nonetheless got sent to ADT, and then vanished with their judgments sealed in secrecy, leaving no trace
ClassicomanoLuigi

Re: Froome Talk Only

16 May 2018 14:33

Due to be the guest on Eurosport at the end of the day. Will be interesting to see the line of questioning.
ontheroad

16 May 2018 14:46

Pathetic. Before today I said he still had a slim chance of winning. Not anymore.
therealthing

16 May 2018 14:48

Glad to see the real Chris Froome again, we missed you from the glorious sideways cycling Barloworld days
"I have seen many lean riders in the peloton, but very few Tour winners."
User avatar Pantani Attacks

Re:

16 May 2018 14:59

therealthing wrote:Pathetic. Before today I said he still had a slim chance of winning. Not anymore.

Otoh, the issue of "What happens if Froome wins the Giro, and then gets a back-dated ban?" seems to have nicely solved itself...

Pantani Attacks wrote:Glad to see the real Chris Froome again, we missed you from the glorious sideways cycling Barloworld days

Should the officials for the ITT be worried?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

16 May 2018 15:21

As expected from Jonathon Edwards on Eurosport, no question's about the AAF. Talking about pulling out of the Giro and prepping now for the TDF as though the AAF doesn't even exist. Classic jingoism at it's best, just ignoring the elephant in the room.
ontheroad

Re:

16 May 2018 15:42

ontheroad wrote:As expected from Jonathon Edwards on Eurosport, no question's about the AAF. Talking about pulling out of the Giro and prepping now for the TDF as though the AAF doesn't even exist. Classic jingoism at it's best, just ignoring the elephant in the room.

"Nothing to see here, just move along"
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

16 May 2018 16:17

GraftPunk wrote:
ontheroad wrote:As expected from Jonathon Edwards on Eurosport, no question's about the AAF. Talking about pulling out of the Giro and prepping now for the TDF as though the AAF doesn't even exist. Classic jingoism at it's best, just ignoring the elephant in the room.

a very telling interview I thought - Froomes voice was trembling throughout the interview. He was nervous and not the person we have seen and heard for the past few years. No confidence.
User avatar Cycle Chic

16 May 2018 16:22

Cycle Chic wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:

a very telling interview I thought - Froomes voice was trembling throughout the interview. He was nervous and not the person we have seen and heard for the past few years. No confidence.

He needs some classes on walking the walk by Brailsfraud. How to talk and walk like an MP
I
User avatar MartinGT

16 May 2018 18:55

Cycle Chic wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:

maybe you missed the fact that the interview was just after the stage, he was on the bike for cool down .Do you speak normaly after a big effort
https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/996800006739972098
CTQ

16 May 2018 20:51

Cycle Chic wrote: He was nervous and not the person we have seen and heard for the past few years. No confidence.

There was also a press conference sit-down interview at which Froome said "ever since that crash I just haven't felt myself" (the original crash in the time-trial practice) "...I'm feeling quite unbalanced"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JYYVqbAWYg

That crash was worse than the media made it out to be - Froome was taking a kind of bad inside-to-out line, on a 90-degree corner, too fast, and the disc wheel maybe slipped on some dust on the zebra-stripe crossing. Then he landed heavily on his right hip and arm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-vW_qd_CSE
"Froomy, Froomy... whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa ... $#@*&^#*& !"

Anyway, he blames it on the crashes, and claims his plan was always to "build through" the Giro in preparation for the Tour de France.
ClassicomanoLuigi

16 May 2018 22:09

So he is the first rider to be paid by GIRO for his TDF preparation!
What are the thoughts of Vegni?
User avatar poupou

Re:

16 May 2018 23:07

poupou wrote:So he is the first rider to be paid by GIRO for his TDF preparation!
Yeah, Froome almost came out and said in that interview that he didn't expect to contend in the Giro.
Getting paid to show up in Israel, not necessarily to perform best
ClassicomanoLuigi

17 May 2018 00:39

MartinGT wrote:
Cycle Chic wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:

He needs some classes on walking the walk by Brailsfraud. How to talk and walk like an MP
I

He needs to get Lanse’s “7” out on DVD, watch him beat off the journalists. We need a “you’re not even worth the chair you’re sitting on”. C’Mon Froomey!! :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2018 00:43

wirral wrote:Now that the Giro is looking lost for Froome, you would think Mike Morgan will be using every trick in the book to delay proceedings so any decision comes out post- (rather than pre-) Tour.

Froome’s concern and Sky is they are actually been tested and he can’t do much about it anymore nor complain as spent so many years ask for extra testing on Tenerife. What a loser.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

17 May 2018 05:38

thehog wrote:
MartinGT wrote:
Cycle Chic wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:

I

He needs to get Lanse’s “7” out on DVD, watch him beat off the journalists. We need a “you’re not even worth the chair you’re sitting on”. C’Mon Froomey!! :cool:

:D
User avatar wirral

17 May 2018 05:42

thehog wrote:
MartinGT wrote:
Cycle Chic wrote:
GraftPunk wrote:

I

That would have to be Michele - he is no sociopath just a little boy.
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re:

17 May 2018 08:08

poupou wrote:So he is the first rider to be paid by GIRO for his TDF preparation!

Just like Lance in '09.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic