Register

Froome Talk Only

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

07 Jun 2017 20:35

Froome did not have any standout performances in time trials between the 2013 Tour and the 2016 Tour.

His performance today was not bad. Gained a little time on a few CG contenders and lost time to a few.

Tony Martin is not the best yardstick either since he performed worse than expected.
DanielSong39

Re:

08 Jun 2017 03:22

Gloin22 wrote:Lol some people believe hes not on juice anymore ? lol

If that was the case hed just retire straight after winning last Tour why even bother

Hes not mentally retarded :lol:

Dawg has always been strange performance wise. 2013 he won every race he looked at and killed his opposition. 2017 he has gone into hiding and not as strong. But I'm sure come Tour time he'll fine the extra 70w he needs. The only question is will Froome have a spat with Porte is if LRP gains time at the Tour on him.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

08 Jun 2017 08:40

"Froomey" not quiet his new self (post Sept 2011 self)

Just wondering if there is any research on the long term effects of taking industrial levels of kenacort and injecting bucket loads of fluimucil... Wonder is he suffering some form of doping fatigue?
deeno1975

Re:

08 Jun 2017 08:48

deeno1975 wrote:"Froomey" not quiet his new self (post Sept 2011 self)

Just wondering if there is any research on the long term effects of taking industrial levels of kenacort and injecting bucket loads of fluimucil... Wonder is he suffering some form of doping fatigue?

It's all smoke and mirrors. Froome will be his indestructable self at the TDF. He's just taking his foot off the gas and letting others get a bit of glory at the moment.
Huapango

Re: Re:

08 Jun 2017 09:34

Huapango wrote:
deeno1975 wrote:"Froomey" not quiet his new self (post Sept 2011 self)

It's all smoke and mirrors. Froome will be his indestructable self at the TDF. He's just taking his foot off the gas and letting others get a bit of glory at the moment.

Doubt it, doesn't fit with his personality type...
deeno1975

08 Jun 2017 10:10

if he doesnt do the usual mutant performance this year then its all connected to the Sky investigation into the package..etc. too much of a coincidence.
User avatar Cycle Chic

08 Jun 2017 11:25

Froome having to deny rumours of offering his services to BMC. I can't imagine that his relationship with Brailsford is anything but frosty after the jiffy bag/cortisone select committee hearing revelations and Froomey distancing himself from Sir Dave. Brailsford normally loves the media attention but has taken a back seat this year and it will be interesting to see how sky get on at the tour and whether Brailsford continues to be kept in the background.

Although Froome has denied the link, I think Porte will be knocking on Ochowitz's door this morning to see what is the deal with his best mate looking to pinch his job!
ontheroad

08 Jun 2017 12:15

thehog wrote:
Dawg has always been strange performance wise. 2013 he won every race he looked at and killed his opposition. 2017 he has gone into hiding and not as strong. But I'm sure come Tour time he'll fine the extra 70w he needs. The only question is will Froome have a spat with Porte is if LRP gains time at the Tour on him.
FWIW De Gendt averaged 430W for almost half an hour yesterday according to his Strava, that's 6.2W/kg and put him 5 secs behind Froome, LRP being 42s faster which needs 30 more watts for same SCx.
This means Froome was close to his usual level on GTs but Porte & Valverde on another planet...

But during TdF, I guess Froome will have a few extra % in the legs and his rivals won't be able to push that much watts after a week of hard racing. This is consistent with LRP beating Froome's record fresh on Madone but riding crap when race is longer than 7 days.
Oufeh

08 Jun 2017 12:22

Oufeh wrote:
thehog wrote:But during TdF, I guess Froome will have a few extra % in the legs and his rivals won't be able to push that much watts after a week of hard racing. This is consistent with LRP beating Froome's record fresh on Madone but riding crap when race is longer than 7 days.

I've been saying it for a while, Porte is Tony Rominger without the classics ability.
His entire career is like a bad copy.
He's 32 now. It's time Tony started winning Grand Tours like he wins 1 week races.
And in 20 years we can find out why.
User avatar GuyIncognito

08 Jun 2017 13:38

Oufeh wrote:
thehog wrote:
FWIW De Gendt averaged 430W for almost half an hour yesterday according to his Strava, that's 6.2W/kg and put him 5 secs behind Froome, LRP being 42s faster which needs 30 more watts for same SCx.
This means Froome was close to his usual level on GTs but Porte & Valverde on another planet...

But during TdF, I guess Froome will have a few extra % in the legs and his rivals won't be able to push that much watts after a week of hard racing. This is consistent with LRP beating Froome's record fresh on Madone but riding crap when race is longer than 7 days.

I'm smelling a tailwind. You have to look at the entire context and the times other cyclists were putting up.
DanielSong39

08 Jun 2017 14:32

GuyIncognito wrote:
Oufeh wrote:
thehog wrote:But during TdF, I guess Froome will have a few extra % in the legs and his rivals won't be able to push that much watts after a week of hard racing. This is consistent with LRP beating Froome's record fresh on Madone but riding crap when race is longer than 7 days.

I've been saying it for a while, Porte is Tony Rominger without the classics ability.
He's 32 now. It's time Tony started winning Grand Tours like he wins 1 week races.
That EPO was the drug of choice in the peloton was known even when EPO-Tony was still active.
kingjr

Re:

08 Jun 2017 14:53

Really doubting Froome will take it this year. Too much scrutiny and doubts whilst SKY is nowhere as strong as previous years.

Its either this or he'll just kill it lol.
User avatar No_Balls

08 Jun 2017 16:12

No_Balls wrote:Really doubting Froome will take it this year. Too much scrutiny and doubts whilst SKY is nowhere as strong as previous years.

Its either this or he'll just kill it lol.

So he's either gonna win or not win? Bold prediction that :lol:
User avatar PremierAndrew

08 Jun 2017 16:41

kingjr wrote:
GuyIncognito wrote:
Oufeh wrote:

That EPO was the drug of choice in the peloton was known even when EPO-Tony was still active.

But not this time. So in 20 years we can find out what caused some guys to have such staggering recent leaps and others not so much.
User avatar GuyIncognito

08 Jun 2017 20:25

Oufeh wrote:
thehog wrote:

The altitude tent did miracles for De Gendt. Though unusual for the Dawg, Nibali's approach to GTs since 2014 proves that you can be crap all season and find those extra watts at the proper moment. I would be really surprised if Froomey will loose the Tour, unless of course Valverde wins it which is no surprise at all. He is still improving every season since about turning 34.
User avatar Rollthedice

09 Jun 2017 15:07

Many in individual sports and team sports use altitude tents - You'll find a number of sport's institutes in different countries have an altitude tent or a version of this - It's a non-issue.
yaco

Re:

09 Jun 2017 15:15

yaco wrote:Many in individual sports and team sports use altitude tents - You'll find a number of sport's institutes in different countries have an altitude tent or a version of this - It's a non-issue.

Many in individual sports and team sports "use" altitude tents...as a cover for oxygen vector doping. Just like they use trips to altitude.

Which ones are actually using the tents and which ones are doping, and which ones are doing both one can't say. But sorry, no. One can't dismiss what we already know about riders who have used it as a cover. It would be pollyannaish to imagine this practice has stopped.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

09 Jun 2017 15:49

Looks like all the concerns were premature.

We're in for an alien sighting in July!
DanielSong39

Re:

09 Jun 2017 16:17

DanielSong39 wrote:Looks like all the concerns were premature.

what you basing that on?
rick james

09 Jun 2017 17:38

rick james wrote:
DanielSong39 wrote:Looks like all the concerns were premature.

what you basing that on?

I guess it's because he stuck with Porte on the climb whilst not being in very top shape and they managed to drop Contador and Bala.
bigcog

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic