Register

Froome Talk Only

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

10 Sep 2017 21:09

carolina wrote:
pastronef wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:Froome is a greedy SOB who needs to be popped positive ASAP.

Also: Lefevere never forgets. I hope when Quickstep pays Froome back, it's at a really, really huge moment.

I heard a rumor Trentin and a few others finished outside time limit on the Angliru and were reinstated in the race. If I know more I will let you know

Not a rumor. I checked the rules. Time limit was 25 minutes. He (and also Villella btw) missed the time limit by about a minute and a half.

KOM misses time cut on mountain stage!!! Time to change the rules for that competition.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 21:39

Thank you Chris froome. That is all. Goodnight
rick james

10 Sep 2017 21:49

Benotti69 wrote:
carolina wrote:
pastronef wrote:
Beech Mtn wrote:Froome is a greedy SOB who needs to be popped positive ASAP.

Also: Lefevere never forgets. I hope when Quickstep pays Froome back, it's at a really, really huge moment.

I heard a rumor Trentin and a few others finished outside time limit on the Angliru and were reinstated in the race. If I know more I will let you know

Not a rumor. I checked the rules. Time limit was 25 minutes. He (and also Villella btw) missed the time limit by about a minute and a half.

KOM misses time cut on mountain stage!!! Time to change the rules for that competition.

usually if you miss the time cut you get reinstated but you get ducked some points in the points classification. Froome won by 2 points (the 2 points he gained in the intermediate sprint in Andorra, eheheh!) he could have won by more if Trentin got ducked some points
pastronef

10 Sep 2017 22:35

User avatar vedrafjord

11 Sep 2017 05:18

Huapango wrote:
ontheroad wrote:I don't have a problem with Froome racing for green today, I'd have a bigger problem if he was handing out gifts which is one of my bug bears in cycling. I do however have a major problem with all the other doubts that persist about his transformation and super human performances.

Gift? You mean like when Froome gifted Contador the Angliru yesterday?

Yeah, he "gifted" it by not allowed Poels off the leash earlier...
Sheesh, I knew people would be calling it a gift as soon as Sky finished 2nd and 3rd. Froome was even pretty vocal after the stage he had hoped they would catch Contador so Poels could win.
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 07:12

LaFlorecita wrote:
Huapango wrote:
ontheroad wrote:I don't have a problem with Froome racing for green today, I'd have a bigger problem if he was handing out gifts which is one of my bug bears in cycling. I do however have a major problem with all the other doubts that persist about his transformation and super human performances.

Gift? You mean like when Froome gifted Contador the Angliru yesterday?

Yeah, he "gifted" it by not allowed Poels off the leash earlier...
Sheesh, I knew people would be calling it a gift as soon as Sky finished 2nd and 3rd. Froome was even pretty vocal after the stage he had hoped they would catch Contador so Poels could win.

Total class, our boy, Froome... Happy to try and help steal the local hero's last bit of glory... one day it'll be you, mate....
User avatar S2Sturges

11 Sep 2017 07:19

S2Sturges wrote:Total class, our boy, Froome... Happy to try and help steal the local hero's last bit of glory... one day it'll be you, mate....

Well, a race is a race, and I'm happy Alberto won this way and not through a gift :) but yeah, not the nicest thing to say, and our commies were suggesting it wouldn't have been great for their image if they had caught Alberto :lol:
User avatar LaFlorecita
Veteran

Re: Froome Talk Only

11 Sep 2017 09:02

I asked this around the final week of the Tour.

Why does it seem acceptable that the Tour & Vuelta double in the modern area is seemed as acceptable when there is less time to recover than the Giro & Tour double?

Dawg has done the double now and his post Tour 'racing' he was smashing post tour crits which included a decent amount of travelling.
User avatar MartinGT

11 Sep 2017 10:48

MartinGT wrote:I asked this around the final week of the Tour.

Why does it seem acceptable that the Tour & Vuelta double in the modern area is seemed as acceptable when there is less time to recover than the Giro & Tour double?

Dawg has done the double now and his post Tour 'racing' he was smashing post tour crits which included a decent amount of travelling.

If anyone thinks the tour vuelta double is acceptable, its probably the same people who are still minimizing how out of this world sky's performances are.

Remember how Wiggins and Froome only won the Tour because everything fell for them. Cadel was injured, Contador suspended etc. It was how clean riders win.

Sky have since won 2 more individual Tours and now a Tour Vuelta double.

But don't worry its not suspicious like Pantani or US postal was. Its just the tailwind always appears every time froome starts climbing a mountain. So lucky
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 11:50

Martin, spot on. I posted this in the first week of the Vuelta where Froome had won the red jersey:

So now that Froome is in pole-position to win the Vuelta as well, what happened to the argument, that 'Doing the double and winning the Tour and Vuelta or a bit more realistic, the Giro and Vuelta is not possible anymore in this, our clean era of cycling...'?

Moreover, that this circumstance, is used as an argument that cycling and Sky and Froome in particular are all clean as snow?

On the positive side, Sky seems to be a lot quieter about their cleanliness currently unless directly asked (in which case all cyclists would claim innocence). Hopefully, because they themselves realise, that the double makes their operation and Froome look even more ridiculous.
Or perhaps, it is just because, I do not see the news stories from Denmark. I don't know what gets written in the UK.

One could argue, that they don't feel the need to profess their non-doping, cutting-edge training methology, since they believe, that is has long since been firmly established.

But doing the double should serve to put some doubt into the mind of even the fiercest Sky-supporter.

Looking at the general strength of the pro-cyclists excluding Sky, doing the double (Giro/Tour, Tour/Vuelta) does not seem like a realistic target. Even Giro/Vuelta would be a tough job, in my opinion.
ahsoe

11 Sep 2017 13:18

I dont think its no coincidence that these claims have died down since Brailsford has been keeping his head down too.
User avatar MartinGT

11 Sep 2017 14:09

Photo op with Vino? Oh my.
nayr497

11 Sep 2017 14:10

Looking at Bardet and Nibali, Bardet with a Tour in his legs wasn't much chop. Nibali with no Tour in his legs still couldn't match the tempo set by Sky and said as much. Dawg mind you had issues of tiredness, won stages a ITT and was still standing at the end. Extremely dubious.
User avatar thehog
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 14:15

Froome has worn the leaders jersey for 34 out of the last 42 stages of grand tours. Surely must be some kind of record as that mean's his team are riding on the front an awful lot. Simply crushed his opponents into oblivion.
ontheroad

11 Sep 2017 14:16

34/42. That's insane.
nayr497

11 Sep 2017 14:30

User avatar Benotti69
Veteran

11 Sep 2017 15:09

I'm not judging the "acceptable" part, but the Vuelta sure looks like the easiest GT to win (in terms of competition, not the difficulty of the stages). Most riders in the Vuelta have already raced a GT earlier in the season, whether it be the Giro or the Tour. Many others focus on the Worlds, and may even simply ignore the Vuelta. That's also one of the reasons that the Vuelta produces more once-in-a-lifetime high GC finishes such as Velits, Monfort, Deignan, ... I believe many riders who routinely go for GC in various GTs have their highest placings in the Vuelta. Especially the lower end of the top ten often looks less spectacular than Tour and Giro.

Going for the Vuelta after the Tour *is* different than winning the Giro and then having to face fresh competition, the strongest in the world, in the hardest GT of them all.
User avatar Gung Ho Gun

11 Sep 2017 15:23

The curious part is that the level of competition was higher in the Vuelta this year than in any other Grand Tour this season. Numbers back this up, and Nibali commented on this as well.

If anything this provides support for giving the Vuelta (and the Giro) more comparable prestige compared to the Tour.
DanielSong39

11 Sep 2017 15:26

Vino looks like he's had some work done.
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

Re:

11 Sep 2017 15:39

Not accepting any comments on it either
zalacain

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic