Register

Froome Talk Only

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

17 Jun 2018 13:27

I dont get this: pinot was interviewed by CN. He lamentd getting worse because of illnesses. Werent you supposed to gain non-marginally from them, or *cough cough* not talk about them in your definitive biography and/or pressers.

What a loser.
User avatar meat puppet

Re:

17 Jun 2018 14:44

meat puppet wrote:I dont get this: pinot was interviewed by CN. He lamentd getting worse because of illnesses. Werent you supposed to gain non-marginally from them, or *cough cough* not talk about them in your definitive biography and/or pressers.

What a loser.

wrong thread meat
User avatar TourOfSardinia
Veteran

Re: Froome Talk Only

17 Jun 2018 14:47

Merckx index wrote:
thehog wrote:Good to see Froome not trying to game the system :cool:

Chris Froome drug defence suffers blow after cycling chiefs cast doubt on key study as tests were on dogs

Now, however, that study is the subject of intense scrutiny with senior figures at the UCI now understood to be questioning whether it is simply a delaying tactic being used to allow Froome to pursue a fifth Tour title next month.

A key flaw appears to be the admission in the Leiden paper that some of their conclusions are actually based on research not on humans but on dogs. It has actually caused some amusement in UCI circles given the British cyclist's 'Froome Dog' nickname.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-5849529/Froome-drug-defence-suffers-blow-cycling-chiefs-cast-doubt-key-study.html

Nice to see that the Daily Mail is only a few weeks behind the Clinic. Maybe in a few more weeks they will note some of the other flaws in this study, particularly that actual empirical data that are available don't support it.

And a "delaying tactic"? They can't be serious! A lawyer like Mike Morgan would never intentionally delay a case just so that his client could race in a couple of GTs, and Froome himself is on the record saying that no one wants more than he does for this case to be settled as soon as possible.
As with much of Lawton's reporting, this looks like something fed to him, not something he's worked out for himself.
User avatar fmk_RoI

17 Jun 2018 16:10

Probably important to add that Fluticasone is banned in competition despite Froome using it. Presumably out of competition? :p

User avatar thehog
Veteran

17 Jun 2018 16:35

you any proof he used it I completion? no, so no point discussing it
rick james

17 Jun 2018 17:06

thehog wrote:Probably important to add that Fluticasone is banned in competition despite Froome using it. Presumably out of competition? :p

Pretty soon, we're going to find out that he's had Ebola since he was 3, because having diseases and medical conditions are marginal gains. Sky is out cruising the children's ward of hospitals everywhere, looking for the next Chris Froome.

I'm just super sad for Chrissy, that he suffered in silence for so many years...
ChewbaccaDefense

17 Jun 2018 17:26

thehog wrote:Probably important to add that Fluticasone is banned in competition despite Froome using it. Presumably out of competition? :p

loving the Freudian slip "necessary attention" :lol:
gillan1969

17 Jun 2018 17:40

gillan1969 wrote:

loving the Freudian slip "necessary attention" :lol:

And he is not aware that Ventolin and Salbutamol are the same thing?

Sounds like he takes whatever Dr. Bermon tells him to take without knowing what it’s for :confused:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

17 Jun 2018 18:45

Froome is like Epo Tony. Once hè had overcome his diseases with the right meds hè became a world class cyclist too.
il Mito wrote:“I’m in pension, I don’t give a **** about training,” Ferrari said. “They are all strong without me. Did you see the Tour de France?”
User avatar Fearless Greg Lemond

18 Jun 2018 03:26

Ventolin and Salbutamol are the same thing. Not that this matters whatsoever in a doping thread :P I just find it funny that he names the same thing twice, as I presume he would know they're the same.

EDIT - and after I posted this, I then read Hog's comment about basically the same. Doh!
User avatar Ripper

18 Jun 2018 09:18

Fluticasone isn't banned via inhalation routes in-competition Hog. Only oral, intravenous, intramuscular or rectal are banned in competition.

samhocking

18 Jun 2018 10:09

Ripper wrote:

Ventolin and Salbutamol are the same thing. Not that this matters whatsoever in a doping thread :P I just find it funny that he names the same thing twice, as I presume he would know they're the same.

EDIT - and after I posted this, I then read Hog's comment about basically the same. Doh!

The main point being is he is taking preventive asthma medication and some how still needed to take 845 puffs on his regular inhaler before an interview :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran

18 Jun 2018 10:20

Preventative though, that's how you use it? As an athlete you can't easily and don't want to be using a blue inhaler at the pointy end of a race gasping for breath and racing, so best to use your brown inhaler before stage and in quiet moments of the race to not get any asthma because that doesn't have any restrictions/threshold or requires a TUE such as Fluticasone and then use the more restricted Salbutomol once the stage is finished as required within threshold where you have more control over intake amounts.
samhocking

Re:

18 Jun 2018 10:53

samhocking wrote:Preventative though, that's how you use it? As an athlete you can't easily and don't want to be using a blue inhaler at the pointy end of a race gasping for breath and racing, so best to use your brown inhaler before stage and in quiet moments of the race to not get any asthma because that doesn't have any restrictions/threshold or requires a TUE such as Fluticasone and then use the more restricted Salbutomol once the stage is finished as required within threshold where you have more control over intake amounts.

so we all laughed at Froome taking post-race pre-press puffs but this is actually the established protocol?
gillan1969

18 Jun 2018 11:17

Yes. Use a WADA unrestricted preventer like Fluticasone inhaler to prevent getting asthma before and during the stage and then a Salbutomol inhaler after the main effort at the end of the race when you need it and might be suffering more from EIA temporarily. For most asthma I believe most athletes just use combination inhalers containing both Fluticasone and Salbutomol (Wiggins TUE noted Fluticasone in the notes as part of Salbutomol TUE for example even though inhaled Fluticosone is legal and doesn't need a TUE even back then) as that's all they need unless their asthma gets worse and then they'll probably use the reliever separately. For very mild asthma the blue inhaler is enough of a preventer too anyway I believe.
Last edited by samhocking on 18 Jun 2018 11:18, edited 2 times in total.
samhocking

18 Jun 2018 11:17

I take symbicort ( red inhaler) as prevention, and I use the bricanyl (blue inhaler) for when things start getting tight, I also take a steroid called singulair as you can see as soon as I’ve shifted this extra weight I’ll be ready for le tour
rick james

18 Jun 2018 11:25

OK, so you take Symbicort which is a combination inhaler containing Budesonide (steroid) & formoterol (beta 2) combined like Wiggins that both prevents and/or relieves most situations and then if things get further restricted you take the Bricanyl (Trade name for Terbutaline) which is your separate beta 2 as required to control your attacks.
samhocking

18 Jun 2018 12:20

So what your saying is the tour is maybe out the question but I could do Paris- Nice??
rick james

18 Jun 2018 13:24

Yep, you need to separate your inhalers out to win Le Tour ; )
samhocking

18 Jun 2018 13:52

So in Froome's case, I wonder how many blood bags he will be taking with him or will be made available for him during le Tour ?
User avatar masking_agent

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic