Log in:  

Register

The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridiculous they can get

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

24 Jun 2018 22:53

thehog wrote:
brownbobby wrote:
macbindle wrote:Yep. Froome is still really hard to watch.

Really he should be banned on the basis of his style. Never mind about the drugs.


Granted, he's not the prettiest to watch....but there are worse sights in the peloton....Pozzovivo on a TT bike and Fabio Aru climbing out of the saddle are 2 that immediately spring to mind...

At least Froome can justify his ugliness with the success it's bought him :cool:


I miss he joys of smooth pedalling and motionless body. Give me a Klöden or an Ullrich any day.

VDB at Bartoli at their peak, poetry in motion.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,930
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

25 Jun 2018 02:32

42x16ss wrote:
thehog wrote:
brownbobby wrote:
macbindle wrote:Yep. Froome is still really hard to watch.

Really he should be banned on the basis of his style. Never mind about the drugs.


Granted, he's not the prettiest to watch....but there are worse sights in the peloton....Pozzovivo on a TT bike and Fabio Aru climbing out of the saddle are 2 that immediately spring to mind...

At least Froome can justify his ugliness with the success it's bought him :cool:


I miss he joys of smooth pedalling and motionless body. Give me a Klöden or an Ullrich any day.

VDB at Bartoli at their peak, poetry in motion.


https://www.facebook.com/sporza/videos/10155493849369271/

You got me @ "Poetry in Motion."

Kinetic Alchemy

VDB! A favorite. Such a spectacular & sad fate.

https://youtu.be/EPgDzp1yGQI

Truly, a (pre-doping) natural talent.

Unfortunately, it is the result of this & many more stories that the 'Clinic' exists.

What a drag that we follow this with the hypocrisy of Chris Froome.

Hopeful that VDB wasn't doping at 14?

"It must have been when I was about 19 or 20 and went out training with a friend on the Belgian borders. As we spun along, out of nowhere this skinny blond kid was on our back wheel. He looked about 14. He was still there 15 minutes later, so we picked up speed. He just sat there, so we picked up the pace again. It was still no problem for him. I looked over my shoulder and he gave me a half-mocking, half-friendly grin. In the end, we went as hard as we could to try to get rid of him and teach the little brat a lesson, because by now he was getting a bit too cocky for our tastes. But whatever we did, he still hung on. After about an hour, we came into a village called Ploegsteert, at which point he came alongside with real arrogance and said 'OK, I'm back home now, so 'bye. By the way, I'm Frank Vandenbroucke.' Neither of us had ever met a kid like him."

Paradise Lost.
User avatar TubularBills
Member
 
Posts: 962
Joined: 15 Sep 2010 04:17
Location: Guest

Re: Re:

25 Jun 2018 04:27

TubularBills wrote:
42x16ss wrote:
thehog wrote:
brownbobby wrote:
macbindle wrote:Yep. Froome is still really hard to watch.

Really he should be banned on the basis of his style. Never mind about the drugs.


Granted, he's not the prettiest to watch....but there are worse sights in the peloton....Pozzovivo on a TT bike and Fabio Aru climbing out of the saddle are 2 that immediately spring to mind...

At least Froome can justify his ugliness with the success it's bought him :cool:


I miss he joys of smooth pedalling and motionless body. Give me a Klöden or an Ullrich any day.

VDB at Bartoli at their peak, poetry in motion.


https://www.facebook.com/sporza/videos/10155493849369271/

You got me @ "Poetry in Motion."

Kinetic Alchemy

VDB! A favorite. Such a spectacular & sad fate.

https://youtu.be/EPgDzp1yGQI

Truly, a (pre-doping) natural talent.

Unfortunately, it is the result of this & many more stories that the 'Clinic' exists.

What a drag that we follow this with the hypocrisy of Chris Froome.

Hopeful that VDB wasn't doping at 14?

"It must have been when I was about 19 or 20 and went out training with a friend on the Belgian borders. As we spun along, out of nowhere this skinny blond kid was on our back wheel. He looked about 14. He was still there 15 minutes later, so we picked up speed. He just sat there, so we picked up the pace again. It was still no problem for him. I looked over my shoulder and he gave me a half-mocking, half-friendly grin. In the end, we went as hard as we could to try to get rid of him and teach the little brat a lesson, because by now he was getting a bit too cocky for our tastes. But whatever we did, he still hung on. After about an hour, we came into a village called Ploegsteert, at which point he came alongside with real arrogance and said 'OK, I'm back home now, so 'bye. By the way, I'm Frank Vandenbroucke.' Neither of us had ever met a kid like him."

Paradise Lost.

It’s like Pantani dropping his friends from school on a club ride using his mother’s town bike, before he even had a bike of his own. Doping doesn’t preclude natural talent.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,930
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

25 Jun 2018 17:00

VDB, just beautiful on a bike. He would destroy Froome at any age.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,481
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

25 Jun 2018 17:06

Not in a GT he wouldn't.

Watching him lose would probably be more enjoyable than watching Froome win, however.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

25 Jun 2018 17:25

Never speak ill of the dead. RIP.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,481
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

25 Jun 2018 17:34

thehog wrote:Never speak ill of the dead. RIP.


1. I'm not speaking ill of the dead. VDB was not a Tour contender.

2. That is a really cheap comment
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

25 Jun 2018 17:45

macbindle wrote:
thehog wrote:Never speak ill of the dead. RIP.


1. I'm not speaking ill of the dead. VDB was not a Tour contender.

2. That is a really cheap comment


1. He was still a young man and did extremely well in the Vuelta before drugs, alcohol, and depression sapped his life and raw talent.

2. Don’t be ridiculous.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,481
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: Re:

25 Jun 2018 17:45

42x16ss wrote:
VDB at Bartoli at their peak, poetry in motion.


When I see my favorite
What do I see?
Poetry
Poetry in motion…

Poetry in motion
When riding single file
Between him and Froome an ocean
In their style, oh that style!

Poetry in motion
No side to side sway
Froome with an attacking notion
Could never move that way

I love every pedal stroke
There’s nothing gone to waste
He has no need for a puff toke
Who cares at all about haste?

Poetry in motion
All that I adore
No blood boost special potion
Could make me watch him more

I love every pedal stroke
There’s nothing gone to waste
He has no need for a puff toke
Who cares at all about haste?

Poetry in motion
Dancing up the climbs
For’er has my devotion
No matter his final time
Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,774
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

25 Jun 2018 19:38

thehog wrote:
macbindle wrote:
thehog wrote:Never speak ill of the dead. RIP.


1. I'm not speaking ill of the dead. VDB was not a Tour contender.

2. That is a really cheap comment


1. He was still a young man and did extremely well in the Vuelta before drugs, alcohol, and depression sapped his life and raw talent.

2. Don’t be ridiculous.


I think you can do better than trying to score cheap points off the back of a dead man. Leave it be.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

25 Jun 2018 20:15

macbindle wrote:
thehog wrote:
macbindle wrote:
thehog wrote:Never speak ill of the dead. RIP.


1. I'm not speaking ill of the dead. VDB was not a Tour contender.

2. That is a really cheap comment


1. He was still a young man and did extremely well in the Vuelta before drugs, alcohol, and depression sapped his life and raw talent.

2. Don’t be ridiculous.


I think you can do better than trying to score cheap points off the back of a dead man. Leave it be.


Yes I can do better by showing (schooling) you that VDB was always seen as a future Tour winner, even when you ignore my Vuelta reference. Poor return of serve to be honest. Your Froome colored glasses do get in the way sometimse :cool:

"That Vuelta a España was the only time in my career that another rider made me lose the will to race my bike. I'm talking about Frank Vandenbroucke," Miceli says, for the avoidance of any ambiguity. "He'd be coming back to the hotel in the small hours, with a girl, possibly drunk, and then going and killing us all on the road the next day. You know, you train hard, you go a month without sex before a grand tour - because you tell yourself that's what it takes - then you see that. It makes you think, 'What am I even doing here?'"

For just over a fortnight, Vandenbroucke was hailed as the new king of Belgian cycling. A future Tour winner. Maybe another Eddy Merckx.



http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/vuelta-a-espana-iconic-stages-vandenbroucke-and-the-99-race/

The annals record that Jan Ullrich won the 1999 Vuelta, but for most who were there - like Miceli - the race was in equal measures memorable and traumatic on account of Vandenbroucke's performances. The late enfant terrible of Belgian cycling won two stages, to Teruel and Ávila, and in the final ten days rode the the entire peloton, Ullrich included, into beleaguered, awestruck submission.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,481
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

25 Jun 2018 20:33

You go as cheap as you want. I'm not coming with you.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re:

25 Jun 2018 20:38

macbindle wrote:You go as cheap as you want. I'm not coming with you.


That’s fine, it’s clear you don’t want to see or are embarrassed for being wrong, that I cannot help.

But I welcome everyone else to read the article it’s a fascinating insight, especially what could have been, no doubt VDB was a future Tour winner and a much more rounded and talented rider than Froome.
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,481
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

25 Jun 2018 20:50

Probably worth adding Froome’s ex coach Bobby Jullich was in the same team as VDB in the 1999 Vuelta :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,481
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

26 Jun 2018 08:11

thehog wrote:Probably worth adding Froome’s ex coach Bobby Jullich was in the same team as VDB in the 1999 Vuelta :cool:

I'm more concerned about how Julich pushed both Ulrich and Pantani all the way to Paris in 1998. The only reason Julich didn't come second was they ganged up on Cofidis with a surprise attack.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,930
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: The Sky-Con-O-Meter. Predictions on how much more ridic

26 Jun 2018 11:21

42x16ss wrote:
thehog wrote:Probably worth adding Froome’s ex coach Bobby Jullich was in the same team as VDB in the 1999 Vuelta :cool:

I'm more concerned about how Julich pushed both Ulrich and Pantani all the way to Paris in 1998. The only reason Julich didn't come second was they ganged up on Cofidis with a surprise attack.


Fully agree and don’t forget Jullich’s second coming at CSC under Riis, lol! :cool:
User avatar thehog
Veteran
 
Posts: 21,481
Joined: 27 Jul 2009 20:00

07 Jul 2018 18:41

Team Skybutamol came fully prepared to the Tour.

Image
La fatica in montagna per me è poesia (Fatigue in the mountains is poetry to me) - Marco Pantani
Van een ezel kunt ge geen koerspaard maken (You can't turn a donkey into a race horse) - Patrick Lefevere
User avatar Pantani_lives
Member
 
Posts: 1,287
Joined: 03 May 2010 13:27

07 Jul 2018 22:28

I think the con o meter has been broken. It cannot measure that amount of con coming out of Sky.
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,525
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

Re: Re:

08 Jul 2018 06:08

thehog wrote:
macbindle wrote:You go as cheap as you want. I'm not coming with you.


That’s fine, it’s clear you don’t want to see or are embarrassed for being wrong, that I cannot help.

But I welcome everyone else to read the article it’s a fascinating insight, especially what could have been, no doubt VDB was a future Tour winner and a much more rounded and talented rider than Froome.


There are people who would even argue against this? Froome was pack fodder until he was like 25 lol. Of course VDB was much, much more talented.
frisenfruitig
Member
 
Posts: 312
Joined: 28 Jul 2010 12:00
Location: Belgium

08 Jul 2018 15:29

I think Brailford has an Ego to match Armstrong.


'I think he's (Lappartient) still got the local French mayor kind of mentality' says Team Sky boss



:rolleyes:
User avatar Benotti69
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,525
Joined: 26 May 2010 09:09

PreviousNext

Return to The Clinic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests

Back to top